Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
SAM's has an 8,000/10,000 watt electric start portable generator for $594 and FREE shipping. The brand is Gentron and it is made in China. Looks like it has the Chinese built Honda clone engine. Pricewise this is a good deal. Does anybody have one of these or know anything about them?

We have a Briggs & Stratton generator now that actually belongs to my son in law. It does not have electric start. I pull my guts out cranking the thing. Starts on second pull every time BUT my wife could never start it. I am being a little morbid here but as we are 63 years old I am looking at things I buy to see if she could use it if I were gone or incapacitated. This really sank in because I am on a 10 pound weight limit for the next four weeks then 20 pounds for three more.

This deals compares favorably with generators from Harbor Freight as far as price. It is hundreds less than anything Home Depot, Lowes, or TSC have. I have learned the hard way and store my equipment only with non ethanol gas in them. I also change the oil and do other maintenance on a regular basis so the upkeep on the 'Chonda' engine does not worry me.

Any information would be appreciated.

RSKY

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #2  
We have a Briggs & Stratton generator now that actually belongs to my son in law. It does not have electric start. I pull my guts out cranking the thing. Starts on second pull every time BUT my wife could never start it. I am being a little morbid here but as we are 63 years old I am looking at things I buy to see if she could use it if I were gone or incapacitated. RSKY
Can't answer your question about Gentron, but your post gave me a chuckle because *immediately* prior to heading over to this forum I posted my B&S pull-start generator up for sale on Craigslist for the same exact reasons: I am getting old and it's hard to start, also it's getting old and I'm hard to start. Of course she usually will fire right up when I pull the spark plug and pour a few drops of gasoline in but that's a hassle. I will keep watching this thread as I'm in the market too. Good luck.

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #3  
SAM's has an 8,000/10,000 watt electric start portable generator for $594 and FREE shipping. The brand is Gentron and it is made in China.........This really sank in because I am on a 10 pound weight limit for the next four weeks then 20 pounds for three more.

I would look at the quality of the power head and its output. I would not want to fry my electronics.

10lbs still gets you quite of bit of good eating :D

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #4  
SAM's has an 8,000/10,000 watt electric start portable generator for $594 and FREE shipping. The brand is Gentron and it is made in China. Looks like it has the Chinese built Honda clone engine. Pricewise this is a good deal. Does anybody have one of these or know anything about them?

We have a Briggs & Stratton generator now that actually belongs to my son in law. It does not have electric start. I pull my guts out cranking the thing. Starts on second pull every time BUT my wife could never start it. I am being a little morbid here but as we are 63 years old I am looking at things I buy to see if she could use it if I were gone or incapacitated. This really sank in because I am on a 10 pound weight limit for the next four weeks then 20 pounds for three more.

This deals compares favorably with generators from Harbor Freight as far as price. It is hundreds less than anything Home Depot, Lowes, or TSC have. I have learned the hard way and store my equipment only with non ethanol gas in them. I also change the oil and do other maintenance on a regular basis so the upkeep on the 'Chonda' engine does not worry me.

Any information would be appreciated.

RSKY

Honda EM6500S is a wonderful thing - liquid cooled, twin cyl., ovhd. valve, electric start.
Bought one 25 years ago, when they were just over 1/2 crazy expensive as they are now.
If I were looking today though, I would look hard at a propane fueled generator instead of gasoline.
Propane stores forever!

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal
Honda EM6500S is a wonderful thing - liquid cooled, twin cyl., ovhd. valve, electric start.
Bought one 25 years ago, when they were just over 1/2 crazy expensive as they are now.
If I were looking today though, I would look hard at a propane fueled generator instead of gasoline.
Propane stores forever!

I understand that Honda generators are top of the line BUT..... They are also terribly expensive. The SAM's generator cost me $630 delivered to my front door. It is for emergency use as in the 2009 ice storm when we were out of power for two weeks and had parents, children, and others living with us. I don't need anything fancy, don't want to spend the money for something that may never be used. I need something that will run and power freezers, refrigerators, a couple small heaters, and maybe a TV. A Honda costing five or six thousand dollars would be not very cost effective.

For some reason I have become the go-to person for family emergencies and this purchase is just another preparation for such an instance.

RSKY

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #7  
I have a Gentron 6 kw unit and so far love it..

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #8  
I broke down and went with a 10KW continuous diesel this year. Have already logged about 40 hours in outages and man it is nice to have all the power you need during those times.

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #9  
I understand that Honda generators are top of the line BUT..... They are also terribly expensive. The SAM's generator cost me $630 delivered to my front door. It is for emergency use as in the 2009 ice storm when we were out of power for two weeks and had parents, children, and others living with us. I don't need anything fancy, don't want to spend the money for something that may never be used. I need something that will run and power freezers, refrigerators, a couple small heaters, and maybe a TV. A Honda costing five or six thousand dollars would be not very cost effective.

For some reason I have become the go-to person for family emergencies and this purchase is just another preparation for such an instance.

RSKY

Your Honda price estimate (EM6500S) is a bit off.
Not "Five or six thousand dollars".
Can be bought on line (free shipping & no tax) For $2699.
Still not cheap, but no where near 5 or 6 K.

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #10  
OP - don't know anything about that brand. What I have heard plenty of good things about is HF's Predator line (Honda clone). I'm keeping them in mind for budget engines/generators.....

875 Max Starting/7 Running Watts, 13 HP (42cc) Generator EPA III with GFCI Outlet Protection

7kw still runs a lot. Is electric start, but says battery not included. Allow $50 for battery, another $50 for delivery, and it's about the same price as Sams. Has 120/240 VAC, 12 VDC outputs, and GFCI outlets.

Should be lots of reviews to read, at the above link. HF sells those Predator engines separately, as general purpose replacement engines. (Meaning, more engine reviews to read if you want.....).

Esp. on generators, for around the same money, I'd want to go with the better established brand.:2cents: (Edit - also like that HF can supply replacement parts).

Rgds, D.