Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #11  
   / Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #12  
Buying a Honda is overrated at almost 3k and it's still made in China, sounds to me like 2k is paying for the name.
That just isn't true...

The components that are in the Honda's are of much higher quality, no question about that...

There's a reason everyone compares them selves to Honda...

SR

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #13  
That just isn't true...

The components that are in the Honda's are of much higher quality, no question about that...

There's a reason everyone compares them selves to Honda...

SR
Agree. I have always felt that I spend less in the long run when buying quality equipment. That said, RSKY indicates the gen will be seldom used so I can understand the attraction.

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #14  
Gentron? Never hear of it. But most generators are electric start now. :p
Mine is hard to pull even without spark plug and I took the thing apart and when I disconnected a plug that leads to the electrical parts it was easy to pull so I plugged back in to see if it was the reason and it was cause when it's not plugged it it turns fine but when I plug that back in it's hard again. I'm assuming there's a clutch of some sort that engages when it starts but is malfunctioning. I'm assuming it's supposed to disengage when stopped and engage after the engine starts. But I still have a diesel genset with cummins which is really big....and big...and big. :mur:My brother gave me beucase he moved to another city.

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal
Your Honda price estimate (EM6500S) is a bit off.
Not "Five or six thousand dollars".
Can be bought on line (free shipping & no tax) For $2699.
Still not cheap, but no where near 5 or 6 K.

I stand corrected. I did look at the Honda website and compared MSRP and there is no comparison. This is an emergency use purchase that may get cranked twice a year for the next ten before being needed and used. If I were going to use it weekly then a Honda or Yamaha would be the brand I would get. As I stated in my original post this is for emergency use.

RSKY

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #16  
I guess your idea of "emergency" means something different to you than it does to me.

To ME, "emergency" means I have to DEPEND on it, and that means it better work EVERY time! SO, to me, that means I'm going to spend a little more up front, to up my chances that "that" tool WILL work every time it's an "emergency" and I need it.

I would be more inclined to take a chance and buy a cheaper product if it WASN'T for emergency use!

SR

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #17  
I stand corrected. I did look at the Honda website and compared MSRP and there is no comparison. This is an emergency use purchase that may get cranked twice a year for the next ten before being needed and used. If I were going to use it weekly then a Honda or Yamaha would be the brand I would get. As I stated in my original post this is for emergency use.

RSKY

I do totally understand your position.
The good news for me, is that I bought my 6500W electric start Honda about 30 years ago, so amortized over 30 years it has not been very expensive. It is incredibly reliable, and delightfully quiet, when compared with others.
I also have a little 2200W (inverter type) Yamaha, which is delightfully quiet.
I have a 3500W Porter Cable too. It is a nice generator, with real Honda engine, but is too loud.

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #18  
I guess your idea of "emergency" means something different to you than it does to me.

To ME, "emergency" means I have to DEPEND on it, and that means it better work EVERY time! SO, to me, that means I'm going to spend a little more up front, to up my chances that "that" tool WILL work every time it's an "emergency" and I need it.

I would be more inclined to take a chance and buy a cheaper product if it WASN'T for emergency use!

SR

That is EXACTLY the reason I bought the 6500W electric start Honda 30 years ago.
It has been used maybe 10 times in 30 years, and is still TOTALLY reliable!
Prior to the 6500W Honda, I had an 8KW Onan.
The 8KW Onan was 1800RPM, and a real quality unit, but was destroyed in a building fire.

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #19  
OP - don't know anything about that brand. What I have heard plenty of good things about is HF's Predator line (Honda clone). I'm keeping them in mind for budget engines/generators.....

875 Max Starting/7 Running Watts, 13 HP (42cc) Generator EPA III with GFCI Outlet Protection

7kw still runs a lot. Is electric start, but says battery not included. Allow $50 for battery, another $50 for delivery, and it's about the same price as Sams. Has 120/240 VAC, 12 VDC outputs, and GFCI outlets.

Should be lots of reviews to read, at the above link. HF sells those Predator engines separately, as general purpose replacement engines. (Meaning, more engine reviews to read if you want.....).

Esp. on generators, for around the same money, I'd want to go with the better established brand.:2cents: (Edit - also like that HF can supply replacement parts).

Rgds, D.

No experience with Gentron brand but I also heard good things about the Predator brand. In fact, I just bought a Predator 3500W inverter generator on Black Friday for use on my camper. It is electric start and will run my entire camper and it's very quiet. I measured 55-56 db at 23 feet with several apps I downloaded to my phone.
I got there early and there were about 10 people ahead of me. Fortunately most of them were there for the larger 8750W gen. on sale for $529.99 this month. I hope they realize they don't come with the wheel kit or battery but still a great price.

/ Portable Generator/Black Friday Deal #20  
Esp. on generators, for around the same money, I'd want to go with the better established brand.:2cents: (Edit - also like that HF can supply replacement parts).

Rgds, D.

Since when, (and exactly how) have you ever been able to get any replacement parts for ANYTHING from Harbor Freight???