Plowing Experience

/ Plowing Experience #21  
Re: Plowing Experience-12 Bottom Plows w/35 HP eng

The clue to that tractor's ability to pull a 12 bottom plow is in the HP and RPM. Remember from physics, HP is equal to Torque*RPM/5250. So, a steam tractor with 45 HP at 260 RPM has a whopping 908 Ft*Lb of torque!!! Yowsa. My modern Kubota diesel has 34 HP at 2500 RPM (or there abouts) and with the same math, 71 Ft*Lb of torque. Kind of a let down in comparison....

So like my Auto Shop teacher used to say, "you can only compare horsepower ratings if you know the RPM".

John Bud

35-43507-little_tractor.gif

/ Plowing Experience
   / Plowing Experience #23  

Hi ya
Yep case was 32 Hp they did have 1 bigger 40 Hp =150 Hp but only 9 built i think..brake horse power did come in early 1900's but alot of makers keeped useing Hp or bottom plow to rate there tractors i have seen ad's during 1950-60's for IH rateing there tractors in plows ie B250 was 2-3 plow bottoms,brake horse power was good but to the old timers telling them this new steam tractor was 110 horses took a hell of a lot to get though eazer to say this will do the work of 32 horses they could get there head around that ...if i could get this damm scaner to work there is a pic in "150 years of IH" of 3 tractors with a 55 bottom plow that covered 64 foot per pass some one may have the book or know of it to post a pic so others can see it real eye opener...
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Plowing Experience #24  

JOHN: THANKS FOR THE PICS. this old steam engineer really liked them.

/ Plowing Experience #25  

I am familiar with the story of the Case 150, although I think the actual production number was only six. None of them exist today. Case called them "Road Locomotives" and they were intended to be used mainly for heavy hauling where railroads did not exist. If I remember correctly the cylinder on that machine was 14" bore and 14" stroke giving 2154 cubic inches displacement. The rear wheels were 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide and I think the weight of the machine was about 25000 pounds without the water in the boiler. Must have been quite a sight.

18-29930-MJBTractor.gif

I love the smell of diesel in the morning./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Plowing Experience #26  

Hi ya
Yep that was what they were built for ,the book i looked at was 150 years of case in there they say 9 were built frist one in 1904 with the last being built in 1907 big tho the pic shows 2 guys standing beside it .
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Plowing Experience #27  
This might be alittle late but- I have a 1-14 plow and had set up problems aswell. I welded a gauge wheel on the plow and also made it fit my quich hitch. This save me alot of time getting it set.

Attachments

• 5-81914-Mvc-006f.jpg
    5-81914-Mvc-006f.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 80
   / Plowing Experience #28  
Great, as long as it works. I noticed an hydraulic top link as well? That looks handy along with the quick hitch. How do you change the depth with the welded gauge wheel?

/ Plowing Experience #29  
Dana,

How do you achieve any depth with the plow or are you just breaking up the top couple inches?

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Plowing Experience #30  
The guage wheel is welded to a sq.tubeing that slides into a bigger sq tubeing that is welded to the plow frame. I drilled 1/2" holes every 1" on center to set the depth I want. It's set at 6" depth in pic. It can get over 12" deep in the last hole. I guess I should have explained alittle better.
With a hyd top link and QH it works very well.