Plowing County Road??

/ Plowing County Road?? #101  
My suggestion is to get a copy of your county budget, find what they pay for plowing, and then show up at the highway department meeting, and county commissioner meeting with those figures and tell them they can either pay you for the plowing, or you will deduct that amount from your county taxes. If they refuse either, get a good lawyer, take them to court, and roast them. Oh, and roast them in your local, state, and national news media too. Name NAMES.
I’m sure this technique will get Fox News, CNN and MSNBC there right away. Try not paying your taxes and see what happens. Raise a big stink and they will likely put you at the end of the line.

/ Plowing County Road?? #102  
My county road used to be on a school bus route, which meant that our road was plowed quite often. Since the kids that used to ride the bus not longer do so, our road is no longer plowed, like at all. We have had two separate snow events this winter. Each dumped about 6 inches of snow. For some, that's not a ton, for us, that's worthy of sending the grader down the road, which has yet to happen.

My county road is gravel, well, somewhat. Its mostly dirt with some old gravel they put down at least 10 years ago. Its about 3 miles long, with windy twists and turns and steep climbs. Everyone on my road has my phone number and call me when they inevitably end up in the ditch. Even when the road is plowed, they end up in the ditch. I am happy to pull them out using my tractor.

Here I am a few years ago pulling a truck out
View attachment 771827

Since we are no longer getting plowed out, at least in a timely fashion, I am considering running my tractor with my inverted snow blower down the road and back. What are your thoughts on this?

The county has been receptive of us doing our own road "maintenance" during the summer with washboard smoothing. We just cant use a steel blade for fear of sparking a fire, but they recommended dragging tires and chain link fence down the road. But snow removal might be pushing it?

I donno, just a thought. We are expecting another storm soon, that is forecast to dump about 9 inches in a few days.
I use to plow our road for about 20 years ( private road ) I've lived here for 27.5 years ! & yes I had a few neighbors who forgot to pay ! & who never paid , It got old going around asking or reminding them to pay! I tried to remind them that if there was a emergency , Medical , or a fire that equipment would be delayed trying to get to there home ! Also most of the time I would have the road cleared 4 to 8 ours before the state did the main road that we would pull out on to from our road ! I also reminded them ! That private contractors charge by the hour from the min. they leave from were ever they are coming from ! & that my equipment was always onsite ! & I only charged a 1/4 of what they charge , & it was mostly to pay for fuel, & wear & tear on the equipment ! & when they plow they would just drop there plow , & plow all the gravel ,& the crown out of the road ! To sum it all up I'm retired now I don't need to get out everyday to get to work , Or go anywhere for that much ! So I don't bother doing it anymore , There a total of 7 houses that use our private road 8 counting me ! only 3 of the neighbors would pay on time , & always said thank you for doing the road ! No one ever offered a hot cup of coffee as a nice gesture ! So I also let them know if they want me to do anything to the road they have to prepay to maintain the road or maintenance ! & that also would include snow removal ! & if they want to hire someone else I'm not paying for it period ! I don't like being that way , But some people will just take advantage every chance they get ! & sorry I'm not .

/ Plowing County Road?? #103  
This thread is like stepping into the Twilight Zone. There's a dozen posters on here I've never heard of before. Not a bad thing. Just weird.

I must be missing a lot of traffic on TBN!!!

I gotta get out more.... 🙄

/ Plowing County Road?? #104  
Every county may respond differently. I own a farm on a 1/2 mile long dead-end what used to be a county road that I have to maintain. Fortunately my farm is located in the in Oregon's Willamette Valley where a significant snow-fall is rare. When it does happen, it is usually only on the ground for no more that a week or so. In my situation, since the farm has been in my family for over 100 years, there is some "history" as to why the county no longer maintains the road. I am not able to to figure out exactly what happened, but the county told me that at some point there was a discussion between the county and my uncle who was in the ownership lineage and he told the county that he would maintain about 1/4 mile of the road length and the county wouldn't have to do it any more. I can only speculate, but I would imagine that my uncle may have been in non-compliance with a few things and he basically told the county "where to go". At some point in time, the county posted a sign at the 1/4 point that says "Road Maintenance Ends Here" to mark out where the maintenance ends.

When I first inherited the property, I had five 12-yard loads of crushed rock delivered that was spread along about 1/8 mile of the 1/4 mile that the county no longer maintains. The reason is that when my uncle died without a will, there is a second home at the end of the road that was originally part of the family farm, that was sold off and another family now lives there. So technically of the 1/4 mile part of the road, they have to maintain the 1/8 part that is at the end of the road. Since they travel over the 1/8 part of the road that fronts my property, in theory they should also be paying half the maintenance cost of my 1/8 mile too. Since I have a tractor and implements to maintain the road, I initially told them that I would donate all of the labor to grade it and maintain it if they would share the cost of the periodic loads of gravel for the 1/8 mile portion that we share the use of. After several years, to date they have not offered to assist with sharing any of the costs. After initially paying for the the first 5 loads of gravel myself after inheriting the farm, I decided that I needed to take a different long-term approach.

I contacted the local county roads department and they are the ones who gave me part of the "back story" of the relationship that they had with my uncle. I was told that if the county was ever to consider taking back the road maintenance responsibilities, I would have to take some steps. First, I would have to download a PDF file that describes all of the road maintenance standards that are required by the county. Next, I would need to compare that information with the condition of the road and bring it up to their current standards. After that was done, they would send out a "Road Master" to inspect the road to make sure that the standards were met. If the road was in compliance, the Road Master would then recommend that a request to begin maintaining the road again was put before the county commissioners. I was told that there would be no guarantees that the commissioners would vote to take the road maintenance back on. After hearing that, I pretty much gave up on pursuance of doing anything with the county. I asked them why they can't initially send out a Road Master who is more knowledgeable about the rules and regulations and who could quickly zero in on what might need to be done, which would then enable me to gather an accurate cost of any required work and better evaluate if such costs could even be afforded by private parties. That suggestion was pretty much "shut-down" by the county and was again told just to download the PDF file, interpret it for myself and get the work done. Then and ONLY then would a Road Master be sent out. They just weren't very flexible at all.

My current solution is just to let the road go to you know where for now. Since my neighbor has not been responsive to my cost-sharing suggestion and I am unwilling to keep pouring truck loads of gravel on the road with "my own dime", maybe someday the road will get so bad that they will be coming to me asking or complaining about it. To their credit, they have filled the pot holes a couple of times with some gravel, but doing that is merely a stop-gap measure and the gravel is quickly forced out by continued use. What really needs to happen is that it needs to be thoroughly graded, then a larger rock base put down and topped off with smaller crushed rock. In truth, my neighbors at the end of the road drive up and down the road, more than my daughter and her family who live at the farm. I guess that for now, it "is what it is" since I am "caught between a hard place"......between the county and my neighbor.

It is also true that some rural counties are just like me.....they have limited financial resources to pay for maintenance of any kind. With all that is going on......this is probably the "wave of the future". We are all going to need to develop our own networks of friends and neighbors and work together to accomplish tasks that need to be done. We all gotta' learn to work together.

The bad news is that the county won't maintain it.....the good news is that the county won't maintains it and it remains a private road. I put up the private road sign above the county sign.
Interesting read, every State is different in it's regulations on roads.
I know that here there are two different ways the Towns or County can stop doing maintenance on a road, actually three. One they can declare it a seasonal road and post when it will be maintained. There are several restrictions on how that can be done.
Then there is a qualified abandonment where the Town or County "abandons" the road but maintains the right of way. There are numerous restrictions on how they can do so. Then they can do a "total abandonment" 0n a road with even more restrictions on doing so. The major ones are they can not create a land locked parcel by doing so and often the road has to be totally on an individual landowners property.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Plowing County Road?? #105  
Since we reside where it really snows, we carry everything in our truck to get towed out, or tow someone else out and need to do that about ever other year. We carry multiple shovels and a modest winter survival kit in our truck as well. Since our city use largish payloaders with those special snow pushing blade things when they come down our dead-end street, they need to backup to get turned around. So they don't have the space to push the snow out from in front of our garage which is very much, the city street. In the below photo you can see me pushing that snow. This is an early fall photo!@! Instead of whining to the city about there snow removal techniques, people just take care of it. The city can't do it all, or perfectly.View attachment 773336
I think you nailed it, "people just take care of it". Places like this exist off the coastlines :)

/ Plowing County Road?? #106  
Rural living is a difficult thing for some people and county manicupal authorities to understand.

Where I live there tends to be a big dump of snow now and again, as in 3 feet plus over night. Back in 1968 late dec early jan, we were buried in 8 foot of snow in a matter of 24 hours. No lake effect, just how it is in the rockies at times. There was a fleet of snow shovelers, tractors with what ever could move snow mounted to them.

No school, no work for many, roofs caving, county plows, state highway plows paralyzed.....

Between all the neighbors shovels, tractors and a pass from an OLD, wore out old cable blade D-8 from a neighbor that was just 'help'n out', our county road and driveways were once open again, Just everyone helping everybody.

/ Plowing County Road?? #107  
This thread is like stepping into the Twilight Zone. There's a dozen posters on here I've never heard of before. Not a bad thing. Just weird.

I must be missing a lot of traffic on TBN!!!

I gotta get out more.... 🙄
I may be one of them, even though I've been here since 2011 I don't post much. But when a topic goes the way this has I have to put my 2 cents in. Or with our new inflation $20 :) Being charitable is a topic with many opinions.

/ Plowing County Road?? #108  
There are in some locales Good Samaritan Rules that free you from Liability in cases where people are stuck or stranded. So many City folk migrating to the country have no understanding of Good Neighbour stuff. "It's so noisy and smelly etc". Stay in your lane!

/ Plowing County Road?? #109  
My county road used to be on a school bus route, which meant that our road was plowed quite often. Since the kids that used to ride the bus not longer do so, our road is no longer plowed, like at all. We have had two separate snow events this winter. Each dumped about 6 inches of snow. For some, that's not a ton, for us, that's worthy of sending the grader down the road, which has yet to happen.

My county road is gravel, well, somewhat. Its mostly dirt with some old gravel they put down at least 10 years ago. Its about 3 miles long, with windy twists and turns and steep climbs. Everyone on my road has my phone number and call me when they inevitably end up in the ditch. Even when the road is plowed, they end up in the ditch. I am happy to pull them out using my tractor.

Here I am a few years ago pulling a truck out
View attachment 771827

Since we are no longer getting plowed out, at least in a timely fashion, I am considering running my tractor with my inverted snow blower down the road and back. What are your thoughts on this?

The county has been receptive of us doing our own road "maintenance" during the summer with washboard smoothing. We just cant use a steel blade for fear of sparking a fire, but they recommended dragging tires and chain link fence down the road. But snow removal might be pushing it?

I donno, just a thought. We are expecting another storm soon, that is forecast to dump about 9 inches in a few days.
Plow the road, THEN CHARGE THE TOWN OR COUNTY for your services...!!!