Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made...

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #121  
With all the trash talk about Fram I highly recommend cutting one open and looking inside. The old ones, I agree were junk. The ones you grab off the shelf today are high quality filters. There are a couple YouTube videos about this, so you don't have to even do it yourself.
I recently did an engine rebuild on my Kioti and sourced the wrong OEM filter online. Only one I could find locally was a Fram. I always do one or two heat cycles on a new engine and change the oil and filter. I cut the Fram open on the lathe and was surprised to see a well constructed filter. Went to the store and bought a second one and have been running them since.
One of the aforementioned videos:
I have no issues with fram filters and use XG filters and ultra synthetic filters frequently. Have been for 20 years and doing 10-15k mile oil changes.

No use in arguing with others or try to change old minds....but I do chuckle on the inside everytime I read someone bashing fram filters

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #122  
What? This can't be so, can it? I recently saw a tractor filter made in India or maybe Pakistan.

It says car filters but a lot of guys shop for crossover deals for tractors and the cheapest price so who knows what you get?
I like watching vids like this on youtube.

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #123  
Test of 9 filters in Dec 2020 that fit a Honda CRV. I purchased 9 different filters from the local auto parts store and cut them open to see what was inside, build quality vs price, and what filters were being multi-branded. I am comparing ONLY the Fram to the filters I now prefer ( STP standard and Microgard ).

I can not speak to nor do I presume that each filter represents all other filters from same manufacturer for different vehicle models. I am limiting this review to filters that fit the 2016 Honda CRV

The price in Dec 2020 is the number on filter lid and ranges from $4.99 to $16.99.
STP standard and Microgard must be made by same manufacturer as build components and assembly are identical.

There are huge differences between the Microgard and Fram. The paper element in Microgard is captured between two metal caps whereas the Fram's paper element is between two heavy paper caps. I could easily see the Fram's paper caps leaking due to high pressure either due to cold thick oil on startup or paper getting soft due to oil saturation. Fram does not support the paper end caps in any way.

The oil inlet on the Microgard fits into and past the rubber gasket and is held in place by substantial spring at the filter's opposite end whereas the Fram uses a relatively weak spring meant to press the rubber gasket against the threaded end cap.

Microgard cost is $4.99 vs Fram's $8.99 cost.

Food for thought.

Attachments

• 9 Honda CRV filters cut open.jpg
    9 Honda CRV filters cut open.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 75
  • Microgard vs Fram.jpg
    Microgard vs Fram.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 65
  • Microgard parts.jpg
    Microgard parts.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 76
  • Fram parts.jpg
    Fram parts.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 71
   / Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #124  
I have no issues with fram filters and use XG filters and ultra synthetic filters frequently. Have been for 20 years and doing 10-15k mile oil changes.

No use in arguing with others or try to change old minds....but I do chuckle on the inside everytime I read someone bashing fram filters
Would you be chuckling if you lost your Cummins B because of an oil related problem caused by a fram filter? And then Cummins sends out a notice that will NOT warr. any "B" that has an oil related issue that had been using a fram filter. Would you then keep on using them and chuckling?

Because that IS what happened, and I for one don't think it's too funny.

SR

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #125  
Would you be chuckling if you lost your Cummins B because of an oil related problem caused by a fram filter? And then Cummins sends out a notice that will NOT warr. any "B" that has an oil related issue that had been using a fram filter. Would you then keep on using them and chuckling?

Because that IS what happened, and I for one don't think it's too funny.

SR
You act like fram is the only one that has had a major manufacturing issue.

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #126  
It is something I have known for decades. All the Oil does not pass thru the filter at once. In time it all does though. A plugged filter would starve the engine for oil if it was not a bypass system.
A spin on filter has a built in bypass valve in the event the filter clogs. On a cartridge filter, the bypass is built into where the filter mounts. All oil from the pump passes thru the filter before going to the engine passages. At highway speeds, an oil pump will empty the pan before you can blink your eyes.

Bypass filters of the 40's and such use a small line, usually quarter inch to bleed off some of the oil and filter it, dumping it back into the system. Those days are long gone.

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #127  
You act like fram is the only one that has had a major manufacturing issue.
I'm acting like fram is the filter being discussed here, as per your post I originally quoted.

SR

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #128  
I'm acting like fram is the filter being discussed here, as per your post I originally quoted.

SR
Fram has likely made made hundreds of millions of filters. They had an issue....it was well known. It was resolved. Some people move on, others dwell on it and continue to hold a grudge. To each their own. I'll continue using fram

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #129  
Test of 9 filters in Dec 2020 that fit a Honda CRV. I purchased 9 different filters from the local auto parts store and cut them open to see what was inside, build quality vs price, and what filters were being multi-branded. I am comparing ONLY the Fram to the filters I now prefer ( STP standard and Microgard ).

I can not speak to nor do I presume that each filter represents all other filters from same manufacturer for different vehicle models. I am limiting this review to filters that fit the 2016 Honda CRV

The price in Dec 2020 is the number on filter lid and ranges from $4.99 to $16.99.
STP standard and Microgard must be made by same manufacturer as build components and assembly are identical.

There are huge differences between the Microgard and Fram. The paper element in Microgard is captured between two metal caps whereas the Fram's paper element is between two heavy paper caps. I could easily see the Fram's paper caps leaking due to high pressure either due to cold thick oil on startup or paper getting soft due to oil saturation. Fram does not support the paper end caps in any way.

The oil inlet on the Microgard fits into and past the rubber gasket and is held in place by substantial spring at the filter's opposite end whereas the Fram uses a relatively weak spring meant to press the rubber gasket against the threaded end cap.

Microgard cost is $4.99 vs Fram's $8.99 cost.

Food for thought.
Wow, the Fram you pulled apart is much different construction from the one I pulled off the shelf in Advance. Mine looked more like the Microgard you show. Yours has the paper end caps like the trash filters of old sold by Fram.

I had to go out and check what I ended up buying just now to see if it was from a different product line. Turns out it is, and I got the "Fram Drive" FD9688 filter. I don't know what they're originally designed for because I went off a chart that gave thread size and gasket diameter, and that was literally the only one that matched up from a couple different stores. Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of the internals but until I do my 30 hour oil change this spring I guess you'll have to take my word for it. Annoying that you can't count on a major American brand to make consistent quality products. Also, do they understand that they're killing the brand by doing it that way?

Something of note, I did buy mine in November of 2021, so who knows, maybe this quality improvement is recent. I'm guessing more likely that what I bought is considered a premium product line from them. Regardless, I retract what I said above. Can't vouch for them if they're still running the paper end caps on some models. Sorry if I misled anyone.

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #130  
Can you say 'hand made' ? No thanks - I'll stay with K&N.