please identify this 3 bottom plow

/ please identify this 3 bottom plow #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
Just picked this up, and would like to know more about it. curious as to possible age, but more importantly what brand/ model is it for the purpose of parts.

I do know (or at least believe) it is a 14" ?furrow? size

Appears to be a wide Cat one, but shimmed to cat 2 at the lower link.

thank you to all who read, and an extra thanks to those who respond.

I hope everyone is doing well.

image0 - 2023-04-11T182145.069.jpegimage2 (47).jpegimage2 (48).jpegimage1 - 2023-04-11T182146.015.jpegimage1 - 2023-04-11T182242.466.jpegimage0 - 2023-04-11T182240.546.jpeg

/ please identify this 3 bottom plow #3  
Looks like early IH or Case. Not because of the color but because of the "bolt together" design and coulter mounting. IH stuff came in a crate and had to be assembled. Hundreds of nuts and bolts. Newer stuff is all welded except for the adjustable parts.

/ please identify this 3 bottom plow #4  
The repaint job can be misleading. If you pull enough bolts you might find enough that's still the original color to give you or those here a clue about the manufacturer.

/ please identify this 3 bottom plow
He listed it with it's 'natural' brown rust color. I was surprised to see it painted. I would really hate to deal with very old rusty bolts just in the hope of finding some paint... I can try to google some of the part #'s, but I did not know it there would be some plow wizard that would just know by the picture.

/ please identify this 3 bottom plow #6  
Repainted JD plows .. most likely 416 model
Couple of sets below you can compare

Attachments

• johndeere416athreebottomplow_ca2cbcfaae364a22ba3afaacaff8d9db.jpg
    johndeere416athreebottomplow_ca2cbcfaae364a22ba3afaacaff8d9db.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 3147-1.jpg
    3147-1.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
   / please identify this 3 bottom plow
Repainted JD plows .. most likely 416 model
Couple of sets below you can compare
I will look closer over the weekend, but I think we (you) might have a winner. thank you very much

/ please identify this 3 bottom plow #9  
Looks like early IH or Case. Not because of the color but because of the "bolt together" design and coulter mounting. IH stuff came in a crate and had to be assembled. Hundreds of nuts and bolts. Newer stuff is all welded except for the adjustable parts.

That vaguely looks like a Case at first glance but I highly doubt it is on further investigation. Case's 3 point mounted plow would be one of the "M" series plows and I have one in my machine shed (3-14 MRB.) The 3 point setup is not what Case used. Case used a flat bar with a lower link pin sticking out of one side, and then turned down the other end of the flat bar and used a bolt-through link pin on the other side. Case did not use round rods for the 3 point mast either, they used flat bars. You would also expect to see a number of parts with "CASE" and/or the Old Abe logo cast into them on a Case plow and I didn't see any in the pictures, particularly on the coulter shank mounting brackets. The landsides on the front two bottoms look a lot different than what Case used. Case also usually liked to use a long conventional-type landside on the rear bottom of their 3 point plows rather than a rolling landside.

I bet it is a Deere 416, it looks like one and I think I see the "JD" cast into a coulter hub too. If it is, Deere plow parts are easier to get than pre-CaseIH Case plow parts. The next generation of Deeres after the 416 had a welded rectangular top tube and looked a lot like one of the Case semi-mounts of that time period, such as the 4-16 STA we had growing up.

Removing bolts from an old piece of tillage equipment usually involves either twisting them off if there is enough nut left to do so, or cutting them off with a torch or angle grinder if the nuts are worn down. Rarely do you just remove a nut from a bolt.

/ please identify this 3 bottom plow #10  
Looks very similar to my Pittsburg. I have a single bottom moldboard plow.