Please explain this difference between diesel and gasoline engines

/ Please explain this difference between diesel and gasoline engines #21  
I'm sorry, I don't understand your response. Air is certainly a gas but it is the gasoline or diesel that is burning, the air is just the oxidizer. And air is being used in both engines. When the gasoline is first introduced into the cylinder it is a fine mist and/or vapor. The diesel is a fine mist. I don't know but I imagine that some of both the gasoline and the diesel turn into a gas during the combustion process. Does this phase change in a diesel engine cool the air and diesel charge in the cylinder so much that running lean doesn't lead to high temperatures like it would in a gasoline engine?
Thanks,
Eric

I think you're not understanding the physics here. It's simple, if your have more air in a combustion chamber than fuel, it's going to burn hotter due to the higher percentage of a gas (oxygen) than a fluid. The opposite of supplying more fuel than air will make an engine run cooler.

The fluid, gas or diesel, can only be atomized by air introduced into a combustion chamber. It never turns into a gas or vapor.

If you want to understand it better, dive into the 2 stroke motor and how it works. People understood how the interaction of air and fuel upon a combustion chamber were linked going back to the 50's. In a 2 stroke, if you run lean...you burn up the piston and cylinder. So having the proper air/fuel mixture is critical. You quickly learn that too much air is what drives the heat.

In a diesel, the fuel delivery is handled by a vane pump in the older mechanical set ups. It runs off a lobe on the cam that drives the pump faster as the RPMs increase. It then delivers more fuel. So there is a direct relationship to always deliver the proper amount of fuel. In the common rail system, it uses throttle position or drive by wire, to tell the ECU to dump more fuel depending on load.

Diesels can run lean, but if your pump or sensors are working, it will never run lean. Also it's critical in a diesel to have good flow of diesel to make sure it dosen't run lean. That is why there are two fuel filters to make sure good fuel delivery. Diesels do however need heat for a proper combustion, to a point. If a diesel has a high duty cycle, meaning they are running full load for hours on end, then they will need a pretty robust cooling system. Like in my powerstroke, Ford had to use two radiators to increase the duty cycle to keep the heat in check. Otherwise the motor will derate (fuel being held back) and hold back the rpms to save the engine from overheating.

So again, study the two stroke motor and it will all make sense...

/ Please explain this difference between diesel and gasoline engines #22  
In diesel the air is compressed and that created heat (typically above 1000ºF [538ºC]) THEN the fuel is injected just before TDC and it ignites when it contract the HOT compressed air.
In gas the fuel is mixed with air BEFORE compression, the mixture is compressed and the spark ignites it.
Gas has to be a vapor before it burns well. Diesel just uses the amount of O2 required to burn and the rest is sent on its way. Therefore more diesel more boom.

/ Please explain this difference between diesel and gasoline engines #23  
In diesel the air is compressed and that created heat (typically above 1000ºF [538ºC]) THEN the fuel is injected just before TDC and it ignites when it contract the HOT compressed air.
In gas the fuel is mixed with air BEFORE compression, the mixture is compressed and the spark ignites it.
Gas has to be a vapor before it burns well. Diesel just uses the amount of O2 required to burn and the rest is sent on its way. Therefore more diesel more boom.

Google...Direct injection in a gas motor.

Report back.

/ Please explain this difference between diesel and gasoline engines #24  
Google...Direct injection in a gas motor.

Report back.
I believe Direct Injected Gas motor introduce the gas before the compression is near completion. But I've been wrong before and will be again :unsure:

Beside tech moves to fast for me, these days.

/ Please explain this difference between diesel and gasoline engines #25  
I believe Direct Injected Gas motor introduce the gas before the compression is near completion. But I've been wrong before and will be again :unsure:

Beside tech moves to fast for me, these days.
Of course it's introduced before compression, how else would it work.

How does DI vaporize the fuel, in the air, before compression, before the fire...as you asserted to?

/ Please explain this difference between diesel and gasoline engines #26  
Conceptually, diesel engines operate by compressing air to high pressure/temperature and then injecting a small amount of fuel into this hot compressed air. The high temperature causes the small amount of highly atomized injected fuel to evaporate.

A Beginner’s Guide To Understanding a Diesel Engine

/ Please explain this difference between diesel and gasoline engines #27  
While one is at it,

Use Duck Duck Go to search for "Detonation", "Pre-Ignition" , "auto-ignition", "Pinging", "Flame propagation", "Stoichiometry", "anti-knock'", "octane", & "cetane"

Every fuel has it's nature.

Even producer gas........

/ Please explain this difference between diesel and gasoline engines #28  
   / Please explain this difference between diesel and gasoline engines #29  
Some of us are past the a beginners guide of understanding here...
Well then why ask me? Like I said I've been wrong often and don't mind learning. Not an expert in any way shape or form.

/ Please explain this difference between diesel and gasoline engines #30  
Well then why ask me? Like I said I've been wrong often and don't mind learning. Not an expert in any way shape or form.
I never asked you.

You came in with incorrect info and then threw a beginners guide at me.

Fuel does not vaporize, the word your looking for is atomization.