Plants taking over yard & pasture?

/ Plants taking over yard & pasture? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Wondering what these plants are and how to control them? First is in our yard. It starts in a few random places then takes over growing about 3" tall choking out lawn. Next I'll post another different one taking over pastures. This is front yard, first picture is the good area...then?weed. 20200901_150511.jpg20200901_150440.jpg20200901_151622.jpg

/ Plants taking over yard & pasture? #3  
Wondering what these plants are and how to control them? First is in our yard. It starts in a few random places then takes over growing about 3" tall choking out lawn. Next I'll post another different one taking over pastures. This is front yard, first picture is the good area...then?weed.View attachment 668352View attachment 668353View attachment 668354

Va Ground Ivy or Creeping Charlie. Good ground cover, but it gets very rambunctious in the spring. Generally in July and August it kinda goes almost dead. Reviving some around here now. I like it. It'll actually stop tinnitus if you make a tea out of it when it comes out fresh in the spring. Only last a couple weeks though. Ear docs need to synthesis whatever is in it at that point. It and milkweed coexist quite well. In other areas, you have to pull it out of beds to keep it from climbing up stuff and choking them out. 2,4 D will, of course, kill it and not grass but I hate 2,4 D more than creeping charlie. In grass, you sometimes just have to kill everything with glyphosate and reseed the grass if you don't like 2,4D like I don't.

Ralph

/ Plants taking over yard & pasture? #4  
This one overtaking pastures. It started along creek, then again choking out grasses. About a foot tall.
I know Roundup may work, but hate to use it.View attachment 668355View attachment 668356View attachment 668357View attachment 668358

Think it's Japanese stilt grass. If so, it's very easy to pull by hand. Dies with extremely weak solution of glyphosate. it's an annual. So, cutting it down NOW will stop it from seeding for next year, but there may be seed in the ground from previous years.

Ralph

/ Plants taking over yard & pasture?
Va Ground Ivy or Creeping Charlie. Good ground cover, but it gets very rambunctious in the spring. Generally in July and August it kinda goes almost dead. Reviving some around here now. I like it. It'll actually stop tinnitus if you make a tea out of it when it comes out fresh in the spring. Only last a couple weeks though. Ear docs need to synthesis whatever is in it at that point. It and milkweed coexist quite well. In other areas, you have to pull it out of beds to keep it from climbing up stuff and choking them out. 2,4 D will, of course, kill it and not grass but I hate 2,4 D more than creeping charlie. In grass, you sometimes just have to kill everything with glyphosate and reseed the grass if you don't like 2,4D like I don't.

Ralph
Thanks Ralph. Tinnitus cure? Now that I could use! I try explaining it to the wife, she's never had it. High pitched like 10kHz. Constant, sometimes loud. I've been to ear docs...everything looks ok they claim.
About tea...could you explain more about it? Thanks!

/ Plants taking over yard & pasture? #6  
Hmmmm..... Ground Ivy. Not bad looking stuff. Around here it's Duck weed that takes over the world.

/ Plants taking over yard & pasture? #7  
top pic looks like buttonweed ---bottom looks like smartweed to me.

/ Plants taking over yard & pasture? #8  
The Japanese Stilt grass will not go away easy.
I use Milestone Specialty herbicide as it seems to wilt the stiltgrass, but not kill too much else.
The stuff is easy to pull, but grows between everything, I've pulled pounds of it and it keeps coming back stronger every year as the seeds carry on the wind.
The spray helps a lot ,but still need to hand pull it in a lot of areas. Also the only plant that will grow around and through junipers!