Picking up lots of big-ish rocks

/ Picking up lots of big-ish rocks #51  
I've used my pallet forks for hundreds of rocks, big and small, just that way, slide them together and go to work.

Adding a matching grapple just makes them even better!

SR
agree forks are handy for moving logs & rocks, but i certainly would avoid using them as a pry bar excavating stubborn large rocks. moving, fine, i avoid excavating tho

/ Picking up lots of big-ish rocks #52  
When I get a rock that I can't get it into the bucket I
get a tie down strap and use it to pull the rock into the
bucket. I have only had two of them so this works for
me. I use the thumb on the back hoe to move smaller
rocks and I don't have very many of them.
If you have a rock that is as big as your tractor you can
drill holes in it and get some dexpan to put in the holes
and it will split your rock.

willy

/ Picking up lots of big-ish rocks #53  
agree forks are handy for moving logs & rocks, but i certainly would avoid using them as a pry bar excavating stubborn large rocks. moving, fine, i avoid excavating tho
Depends on if you have cheapo forks or well-made HD forks.

SR

/ Picking up lots of big-ish rocks #55  
I think if one wants to dig/pry with forks (which i think is fine if you know the risk) then you should plan on getting some that are highly overrated for your machine and just eat the lift capacity loss that will get you. But if you read far enough into fork ratings to figure out what they can support way out past 24", on only one fork, and possibly with the weight of your tractor pushing DOWN on the heel of it using it as a fulcrum against the ground.. i think you will find almost any pair of forks that would normally be considered 'matched' to the machine it's on, could easily be bent during digging. I think you need to go 'overkill' compared to the machine itself, to get forks that are safe to dig with on that machine. My .02.

/ Picking up lots of big-ish rocks #56  
My wife use to tell me -picking up rocks is good for my waistline. But - my back would become very sore - long before any noticeable changes in my waistline.

And if you notice - pick a field clean. Next year the snow melts - a brand new crop has hatched in the field.