Picked up a new drill press

/ Picked up a new drill press #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
Getting it off the trailer was a bit of a challenge. I got stuck with the bucket up on the bobcat, didn't know if I could actually lift it, if it fell over would it take me with it? Got stuck a few times hitting the metal bar sticking up on the bottom of the bucket, and i could barely get it high enough to clear the trailer. I didn't want to drag it over and then have it swinging back at me. It was a bit of a terrifying moment but sure enough, I got it to the ground, and went strait for the beer. I don't know how much it weighs but it was near tipping.

6UP0rea.jpg

4tmbxsx.jpg

vQIxMhP.jpg

/ Picked up a new drill press #2  
Nice.

Seems like most of the modern imports run too fast for steel. This one looks like it was built for steel.

/ Picked up a new drill press #3  
That is a beast.

/ Picked up a new drill press
My old harbor freight special drill press only had 2" of travel, and I need to make about 150 holes in 3" PVC. I didn't want to do it by hand, that's a pain. And I've been wanting something floor standing. This thing has about a million adjustments and came with a box of about 100 metal drill bits from 1/2" to 1½". It has a 1hp 12.9a motor, the bottom goes up and down with a ratchet, came with 3 different size chucks, and the only thing that doesn't work is the automatic return. It has a chain that goes up and on a pulley to down the middle which i suspect once housed a weight that would pull it back up. There is a foot pedal which is not attached, it moves a lever about waist high in the back. i think it was to disengage a gear of some sort that would let the motor spin but disconnect one of the pulley's somehow.

Tomorrow I'm going to hit all the grease points and fill the top with oil that leaked out when it was laying on it's side. It's huge and heavy, but it works and will serve my purposes.

3kKD00u.jpg

qOpS5Lc.jpg

/ Picked up a new drill press #5  
That's a nice (but scary) little Bobcat!

Impressive old drill press too. :)

/ Picked up a new drill press #6  
Love all the belts and pulley's. It reminds me of a Steampunk work of art.

/ Picked up a new drill press #7  
I love old fab equipment. It rarely breaks and if it does it is easy to fix

I have a drill press and punch in our shop with War Production Board plates. They just keep working

Last edited:
   / Picked up a new drill press
The moment I saw it I needed to have it. No safety features to speak of and it's massively overbuilt, it will last forever.

/ Picked up a new drill press #9  
Fond of 'Camelback' drill presses myself. Been looking for one with power down feed for a while now. Easy to rebuild too. Flat belts can be an issue however.

/ Picked up a new drill press #10  
That's a whole lot of steel & iron.