Pheasants/Quail Forever

/ Pheasants/Quail Forever #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
I had planted about 60 acres in the Pheasants/Quails Forever type seeding and 3 acres of pollinators (wildflowers). Some planted in the fall of 2012, some in Feb 2013. Not seeing much yet, I was told it will be June before I see most germinate. Anyone had any experience with these type plantings. This is in western Ohio. Thanks

/ Pheasants/Quail Forever #2  
Yammers when did you plant? Most of those mixes consist of Sorghum, Sunflowers, Buckwheat, Millets and Corn.

The only other options I'm aware of are NWSG- such as Little bluestem, Big bluestem, Indian grass mixes etc,,

/ Pheasants/Quail Forever
Yammers when did you plant? Most of those mixes consist of Sorghum, Sunflowers, Buckwheat, Millets and Corn.

The only other options I'm aware of are NWSG- such as Little bluestem, Big bluestem, Indian grass mixes etc,,

Finally seeing some growth but pretty spotty.

Unfortunately for whatever reason the planting did not do well. They will not consider it a failure until the second year. It is more green now but more weeds than anything.

/ Pheasants/Quail Forever #5  
Just watch the invasive plants dont take over, I have a crep planting that is now 3-4 years old. I still go in and spot spray otherwise I am past mowing and spraying around the tree tubes.

More heat and later rains helped the seeds to come up. Tens of thousands of wild flowers now but also foxtail and marestail. They are not so thick as to shade out the wild flowers so the FSA said to let it go as it and see what next year brings.

/ Pheasants/Quail Forever #7  
If you are away from the "city lights" and you are allowed to burn a few acres at a time (not all 60) every couple years, it will help get rid of the invasive weeds and give the prairie grasses/wildflowers a better chance. Over 7 or 8 years, then the whole area will be burned. Those ranchers and farmers in the Plains states have much more experience and knowledge about burning practices. We have a heck of a time with ragweed in our "wildflower" area. Looks good until July, then the ragweed takes over. Being a broadleaf, we almost need to use a wick and hit each plant so as not to kill the broadleaf wildflowers. Can't burn around here. Hope it works out for you.

I also have 13 acres of tall prairie grasses, some 6 to 8 feet high and very thick. The deer love it for protection/security. I burn it every several years, find deer sheds regularly.