Pete 335

/ Pete 335
Dumb question. Could you lengthen the frame then install a tandem drive axle package from another truck? (Like that second picture above?) Jon
Not a dumb question. It would be much easier to install an air lift axle behind the drive axle.
Someone made the comment that the air lift axle would reduce traction. I dont believe this would happen. I probably wouldn’t use the air lift axle “off road” when traction is needed. It would more likely be used over the road, to make truck legal. Actually, it’s barely needed, but thought it would add GCWR and assist with the problem of the 108” cab to axle issue and wanting a 16’ flatbed.
Air lift axles are relatively inexpensive. Used units are readily available

/ Pete 335
Not a huge commercial truck guy so I really don’t have a dog in this fight.

OP, sounds like the Pete you first mentioned meets most of your desires and utility. Could be wrong, but it also sounds like you have some personal, not strictly utility, coolness factor interest in the idea.... which is great if that is the case.

My general thought would be if you can move the axle and build it out to your liking, without exceeding the monetary costs in terms of time and labor of finding a better option, then go ahead and do it.

Semi-related concept, I have a ‘14 GMC 1/2 ton that gets used locally to tow an equipment trailer loaded to 6-7.5k a couple times a year. I installed a wireless air bag system in part because of this. Strictly speaking there are other less costly ways I could have gone. On the other hand I got and still get enjoyment out of having done a custom install and the benefits it brings in towing.

There are costs we incur out of necessity and those we incur for strictly pleasure... Some of the best are those that are a little of column A and a little of column B... even if it is for a business.

Yeah, a little. Pete makes a nice cab. It’s aluminum and it holds value a little better. The real difference is the price of the truck is pretty good. Miles are relatively low (170,000) as well as hours.
It would be a long process to get this truck built to what I need. A tandem 6x6 is more versatile, has more traction and higher GV/GC

/ Pete 335
Anyway you could compromise and use existing wheel base with a 14 foot deck?
Maybe, but I don’t fully know what it would be like to carry 16’ long in hay bales on a 14’ bed. 8 4x4x8 bales stacked would overhang the back of the bed by 2’. I don’t think that’s a legal issue, but if the bales aren’t nice and tight, there could be problems.
I could also try a custom 15’ bed. That would only leave 1’ of overhang, which wouldn’t cause problems
The other issue is if I lengthen the frame, what will the modification company allow for a tow rating? Would like 15 tons/30,000 lbs trailer towing. That would allow me to pull 12 more 4x4x8’s on a 25,000lb 25’ trailer, which would probably weigh another 6,000lbs.
(Bales average 1500lbs)

Last edited:
   / Pete 335 #54  
Not a dumb question. It would be much easier to install an air lift axle behind the drive axle.
Someone made the comment that the air lift axle would reduce traction. I dont believe this would happen. I probably wouldn’t use the air lift axle “off road” when traction is needed. It would more likely be used over the road, to make truck legal. Actually, it’s barely needed, but thought it would add GCWR and assist with the problem of the 108” cab to axle issue and wanting a 16’ flatbed.
Air lift axles are relatively inexpensive. Used units are readily available
Back in '71, dad took a single axle Mack U model semi tractor with the Maxidyne 5 speed tansmission and he had a air lift axle added after stretching the frame. He was pulling refrigerator trailer. He went with the lift between the drive and front, because he wanted to increase load on the front when lifting the axle. This was in northern Michigan. A tandem drive may have been a better choice, but the U model was about a year old. Good luck in your search. Jon

/ Pete 335 #56  
   / Pete 335
Not a Pete, 6x4, manual transmission... What else checks the OP's boxes with this truck?

CT
Yeah correct. I’m looking for a 6x6 or possibly a 4x4 with air brakes, automatic and frame length of 16’ to 24’ for 8’ long square bales. It will also need to pull a 25’ 30,000lb trailer of hay or equipment like a farm tractor, mini ex, etc.

Perhaps some additional context would help: This trucks longest OTR trip might be 20 miles. It will also possibly be used to carry a truck mounted material spreader, but that more a hope than a definite.
It will be a short trip, hay delivery truck that needs off road traction and ability to pull a heavy trailer

Last edited:
   / Pete 335 #58  
Did you buy it yet or are you still sitting on the fence. You know sitting on a fence rail causes piles.... :D

/ Pete 335