Paving a long driveway

/ Paving a long driveway #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
I'm thinking about paving my 1300 foot driveway this spring. I think I may do 2, 4' wide strips with 3' of a grass strip down the middle. Anyone here done this ? Pros /cons ?

/ Paving a long driveway #2  
When you say paving, are you referring to asphalt pavement or concrete? If you want the two strips to drive down and a grass strip in the middle to mow, concrete would work for that. If you want to go with asphalt in two strips, it will fail pretty quickly. the edges of asphalt are it's weakest link. Doubling the amount of edge will more then double your odds of failure.

Most important thing is going to be a solid base. Then it's important to put it thick enough to hold up to traffic. Go too thin and have one heavy truck drive over it on a hot day, and it's ruined.

/ Paving a long driveway #3  
You arent going to find anyone to lay asphalt that narrow , the machines are too wide . Unless they have a path paver . And that wont save you any money .

/ Paving a long driveway #4  
Most important thing is going to be a solid base. Then it's important to put it thick enough to hold up to traffic. Go too thin and have one heavy truck drive over it on a hot day, and it's ruined.

Or much worse, when the frost is coming out of the ground. I see your in Boston area. About the best way would be to lay down stabilizer mat the whole way first, then more gravel on that. Compact it then the asphalt pavement. That should be able to handle the frost push. Lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$

We added 1,380 feet to an already 1,300 foot long lane when we built here. The part we did we cored out 6", put down down stabilizer mat, then 3" gravel then CA6 top coat. That was 12 years ago and it has never pumped. The front half of the lane pumps every year and you just got to keep adding gravel but every spring the mud comes up through the middle when the frost is coming out of the ground. I understand at one time it was a cow path that they just added gravel to, and not much from what I can tell.

Last edited:
   / Paving a long driveway #5  
There is a driveway, in town, with a double strip of concrete as you want. For whatever reasons, it didn't last long. It cracked and then the chunks heaved and the next thing I saw - all the concrete was torn out and it was a nice gravel driveway.

/ Paving a long driveway #6  
As many said don't do the strips. I did a 500' x 10' driveway with a large parking area (7000sq ft) 5 years ago. We get a lot of traffic way more than personal usage.
One point not touched on yet is this would be a spring project. Wait till Aug or Sept. Your area might be a little different. The ground will be hard as a rock in late summer. In the spring it will be soft. You also want the days to be warm for bonding and the nights to be a little cooler to firm it up. Something like when the hot days of summer are coming to a end and the windows have to be lowered or closed at night. Around that time frame is a good time.
Most people travel on the same track on a long driveway. Try to avoid this and travel to each side (not on the edge) some trips. Also avoid parking in the same spot. These items should be done for as long as you have it.
The new asphalt is not as tough as years ago. With reclaiming and trying to be greener it is a poorer product like many things.
It will be some of the best money you spend on improvements.

Al

/ Paving a long driveway #7  
I have seen people do something similar with concrete, never asphalt. As others have said, The edges are what break up, I dont think you would be happy with it in 5-10 years.

My driveway is only 250 feet long but I have said for a long time that one of these years I will do it in concrete. My plan is to form up and pour a truck or two each weekend for the summer. 1300' would take forever, probably not an option.

/ Paving a long driveway #8  
My neighbor put in concrete strips for about 150ft of sloped driveway, I think because of concern with water runoff. A year later he filled in the middle with concrete. Not sure why either but I imagine he didn't like the extra maintenance. Or maybe it was originally to get around code? I know here we need to look at water runoff volumes and potentially have to put in retention pond/drain if paved area exceeds some certain amount.

/ Paving a long driveway #9  
I'm thinking about paving my 1300 foot driveway this spring. I think I may do 2, 4' wide strips with 3' of a grass strip down the middle. Anyone here done this ? Pros /cons ?

I think asking people to keep 4 tires on two narrow paths for 1/4 mile is asking a lot of many drivers. :) You're probably going to get a lot of people driving off the edge and damaging the lawn. You're also going to have a mile of edging if you decide to keep it trimmed that way. And don't you get periodic snow out there? You'll end up scraping down the grass in the center if you plow it.

/ Paving a long driveway #10  
Asphalt would be difficult to place in two strips
My parents have similar concrete driveway. It was done to save money for all houses in neighborhood. Most have been replaced with full width driveways
A split drivewayis a pain. You double the amount of grass to trim. The two slabs move relative to each other

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

John Deere 7210 Grill Guard (A33041)
John Deere 7210...
Service Truck Lube Skid (A33544)
Service Truck Lube...
Bushhog 6045 Front-end Loader (A33041)
Bushhog 6045...
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
Miller Constant Potential DC Arc Welding Power Source, 650 amp, 3-Phase (A33349)
Miller Constant...
Dakon 250 Gravity Flow Trailer (A33041)
Dakon 250 Gravity...