Pasture into hayfield

/ Pasture into hayfield #1  

MinnesotaMorg

Silver Member
Tractor
Deutz Fahr 6130ttv
I have been reading whatever info google presents me on converting rough pasture into hayfield but I wanted to see if anyone here has any tips that will make my life a bit easier.

I have gotten a few different opinions on what the proper procedure is but I should preface that my pasture is rather boulder-y. I was late getting cows out there to keep the grass down so they are working on it now but I'm in this kind of catch 23 situation where I need to mow to see the rocks better to pick them out but the rocks would make mowing almost impossible. Is there some sort of method that people do where they just light it all on fire and start from zero using an excavator to pick the bigger boulders out and then plow it over?

My current plan is to be patient let the cows do there thing, a local landscape company will come pick boulders and pay you for them, but the thistles are taking over a bit as well. Not to mention the buckthorn which I should be able to finish shredding once I get my new cutter.

after that I was thinking:
1) plow it over
2) disc a few times
3) likely pay neighbor to drill seed it
4) mow weeds while grass takes

My neighbor suggested planting corn for 2 years to help break up the sod, saying using a disc wouldn't be super effective or something. Anyhow if anyone has surefire way of converting rough pasture into hayable field im all ears.

/ Pasture into hayfield #2  
How many acres comprise this project?

Is your MF 4707 2-WD or 4-WD? Cab?

1) Burn the grass.

2) Plow with a Chisel Plow or a Disc Plow
T-B-N ARCHIVE:
chisel plow in rocky soil site:www.tractorbynet.com

3) Soil test - amend per results.

4) Pick rocks. (A local landscape company will pick boulders and pay for them.)

5) Disc Harrow (smooths, mixes in amendments)

6) Pay neighbor to drill seed it

Massey Ferguson 4707 Dimensions​

Massey Ferguson 4707 Weight
2WD ROPS :7478 lbs
3392 kg
4WD ROPS :7734 lbs
3508 kg
2WD Cab :8294 lbs
3762 kg
4WD Cab :8644 lbs
3920 kg

Last edited:
   / Pasture into hayfield
there is about 20 acres I would like to convert to hayfield, this would be in addition to the 25ish acres thats currently being farmed/hayed.

my tractor is 4wd

EDIT: I should add I would like to get it to the point where I can rotate what field is pasture for the year and what is being hayed.

/ Pasture into hayfield #4  
Open by getting a soil test which will tell you all sorts of thing about what is possible to grow, and what might need doing besides picking rocks.

/ Pasture into hayfield #5  
Chances are the pasture will not have enough desirable hay grass in it.
Cultivate the land , clear the rocks and reseed with grass of choice and a cover crop.
Hay land may have a loss of desirable grasses over the years and will have to be rotated To a different crop or reseeded. This is a common practice.

Cultivation is just a matter of using what equipment you have to the best effect.
Raising corn or some other one type product for several years helps eliminate weeds and present grasses giving a good seed bed for new start.
In many cases newly sown hay field is kept strictly for hay for a few years and then graseing is allowed after haying.
Many variables in the procedures you can use. Most will depend on the local situations. Your local Agricultural Representative is one of your best advice resources.

Last edited:
   / Pasture into hayfield #6  
there is about 20 acres I would like to convert to hayfield, this would be in addition to the 25ish acres thats currently being farmed/hayed.

my tractor is 4wd

EDIT: I should add I would like to get it to the point where I can rotate what field is pasture for the year and what is being hayed.

Sounds like to me (tough to tell without actually being there) is the rocks are the biggest of your challenges.
I have converted many overgrown acres of rocky pastures back into fields using only a mower, tractor and rented small excavator when large rocks were present.

In your situation, I would start by mowing everything you can access carefully. Keep chipping away at it, getting closer and closer to the rocks until you have isolated the rocks and marked them with orange snowplow guides. Next, decide which rocks are to be removed and how they are to be removed (backhoe, mini-ex, etc.) In my case, the rocks that were too big for my tractor were simply marked with the 6’ orange snowplow guides and left there. I cut hay around them. It’s not that bad.
Each year I rent a machine and dig a few more out. I’d like to have them all out, but its not feasible to do them all at once.
I don’t use herbicides, so I am not dependent on them like many farmers are. I have learned to grow grasses without killing everything and have become pretty good at it.
Once the brush is cut and the rocks are marked so you don’t hit them, I would mow the existing vegetation down to the ground (I call it scalping) in late summer. It would be at this time where you would get soil tests to see what your soil needs. My guess is it will need lime, or other key minerals. Lime is pretty easy to spread. See if you have any local compost available. It could be poultry litter, mushroom compost, composted leaves, etc. Inquire about cost for delivery.
I would then rent or hire a seed drill and drill in the best choice of hay grass that grows in YOUR area about 8 weeks before your first frost typically happens. This will give the seeds enough time to germinate and develop into seedlings to survive the winter. Before winter hits, spread your compost in a thin layer, maybe 1/2” to 1” max so you don’t smother the seedlings.

Next spring, the seedlings will become your crop.

HERE is a picture I took about 10 years ago of mowing a property overgrown for 20 years with woody brush. Picture was taken in October. The following year, I took 2 cuttings of mulch hay off of it. Today it produces many tons of mixed grass hay.

1658063404161.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Pasture into hayfield #7  
Not the best picture, but in it you see the area circled in red? There’s about 10 boulders sticking up that would damage a mower. I just cut around them. The entire field has boulders. Some I have removed, some I intend to remove, hopefully soon.

By the way, when you dig out a boulder, just enlarge the hole a little deeper and push to boulder back in the hole. That way you don’t have to deal with moving or storing the boulder.

1658062617735.jpeg

/ Pasture into hayfield #8  
THIS pasture was nothing but weeds and stickers 5 years ago. Now it is a very productive 95% grass field that I hay 2 times per year.
It has never seen a chisel plow, a disc or any chemicals.

Rock outcroppings circled in red. The brush around them is a natural way to warn you to stay away when mowing/baling.

1658063142732.jpeg

The simple act of frequent mowing kills brush and encourages grass growth.
You don’t need to spend a lot of money or buy any chemicals to get the field back to growing hay.

Last edited:
   / Pasture into hayfield #9  
I have about 40 acres, 20 of pasture and 20 in hay field.
My biggest regret is not having the pasture area professionally done as with the hay field. It was row crops and turned into pasture. My regrets are that it now takes me many hours longer to mow the pasture due to the roughness. By just rough calculations, I have to spend about 30 extra hours per year minimum due to slow driving when mowing and using harrow.
Figuring on about 25 years of dealing with it, 25 years X 30 hours = 750 hours spent (wasted) due to a rough pasture and it gets harder as I get older.
If you value your time, do it once and do it right. Fields do not get easier to drive at 70 vs 50 years old.....

/ Pasture into hayfield #10  
I have about 40 acres, 20 of pasture and 20 in hay field.
My biggest regret is not having the pasture area professionally done as with the hay field. It was row crops and turned into pasture. My regrets are that it now takes me many hours longer to mow the pasture due to the roughness. By just rough calculations, I have to spend about 30 extra hours per year minimum due to slow driving when mowing and using harrow.
Figuring on about 25 years of dealing with it, 25 years X 30 hours = 750 hours spent (wasted) due to a rough pasture and it gets harder as I get older.
If you value your time, do it once and do it right. Fields do not get easier to drive at 70 vs 50 years old.....
Something to be said for that.
In my situation, complete rehab was not an option. It had to be done with mowing and rock picking only. No chemicals allowed.

You are correct that if money no limit and the land owner allowed, complete field rehab is the ultimate way to go.