Buying Advice Out of State Sales Tax Confusion

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #121  
My last new tractor (2020) was supposed to be a Kubota M series. But the Dealer in PA (23 miles away) said I had to pay sales tax even if he delivered it to me in NY. I don't know if it's true but I think he also said that he would then transfer that tax money to NY. I'm happy with my Case 65A purchase locally, in state, 6 miles away. I just figured if I can't get out of paying taxes might as well go for the closer dealer.

Lets see I paid my income tax (Fed., state and local), school tax, property tax, car registration, trailer reg. and license's, fuel plus tax on every thing I purchase. You'd think enough was enough. Guess government never heard the term "double dipping', but I think they have.
NY, PA and NJ (and possibly a few other neighboring states) have agreed to partner on coming down on people who buy out of state to avoid sales tax and make it easier for a business in PA to collect NY sales tax.
Plus there's the savings of your vehicle not rusting out.
Which has to be balanced against the risk of buying a flood damaged vehicle after a hurricane...

Aaron Z

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #122  
Many of the states with highest taxes and most money spent per student have some of the worse school systems.
Says who? Can you back that up with anything but anecdotal data?

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #123  
Where did you go to school?

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #125  
   / Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #126  
Look at the sources of that opinion piece. It’s a right wing think tank, one whose sole purpose is to foist ideology on the public.

It’s clearly identified as an opinion, not a scientific based fact.

Nice try, though.

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #127  
"...one whose sole purpose is to foist ideology on the public" - the pot calling the kettle black?
"It’s clearly identified as an opinion, not a scientific based fact." - unlike some who DO present opinion as fact.

So where are the links to YOUR ideology?

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #128  
Without having read the piece - I CBA to read forbes and only saw only the snippet linked here - it indicates that spending more doesn't necessarily improve the schools much farther, but there's still improvement, and gives no indication of relative performance vs lower spending states.

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #129  
I’ve heard that you can ask the manufacturer to indicate a lower price in the documents to pay fewer taxes. I am not sure how that works, but I have heard it from several people who have purchased new tractors.
Not likely that any manufacturer or retailer would agree to such a scheme and risk fines and prison. The purchaser who requested that would face the same.

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #130  
But some states don’t charge sales tax to out of state buyers.