Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on
Putting off renting for a bit. I need the weather to turn cold so I don't run into any snakes. Had a rattlesnake in my yard when I was mowing the yard about 6 weeks ago.

The presence of rattlesnakes is also something that weighs in favor of a ride on machine. Otherwise, I would only use a walk behind in the winter when they aren't active.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #72  
Snakes are real!

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #73  
Gee, I have no idea how you folks work in grass and the woods with all those snakes!

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #74  
Gee, I have no idea how you folks work in grass and the woods with all those snakes!
We have snakes everywhere here. People are very scared of them for some reason. The only people I know that have been bitten are people that tired to pick up posionous ones to show off.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #75  
I have not used a brush cutter on a BCS. I do have a lot of hours spent using the Berta flail and I was super impressed with how effective it was. Only one pass almost all the time unless I was mowing overgrown bushy type material.

I do not have a flail mower anymore, now I use a 54" single action sickle bar and am very happy with it. I don't really miss the flail mower either. The sickle will cut anything a flail will cut while keeping RPMs down and mow twice the width!

I had a double action cutter bar for a while and I do not think they are better than the single action.

I have found that just cutting briars so that they can lay flat they decompose within a growing season, and If you mow more often they will be smaller and eventually be replaced by grasses.

I have not used a brush cutter on a BCS. I do have a lot of hours spent using the Berta flail and I was super impressed with how effective it was. Only one pass almost all the time unless I was mowing overgrown bushy type material.

So what's your estimate of whether a flail will be able to cut this overgrown briar patch in a single pass?

What I am finding with the Bachtold rotary cutter is that it only severs it at the base, and then the entire pile of brush falls onto the mower uncut. That isn't working for me. The only way I'm able to cut through this is to lift the mower deck up, drop it down to shred the brush, pull back, repeat the process, a bite at the time. I find it essential to shred the material as I go.

If the flail will shred this material without having to lift the deck and drop it repeatedly, that would be a huge labor saver.

On the other hand, if it's just too much to ask of this size of machinery to be able to shred this 4-6' tall mess, even using half the flail's cutting width, then I need to rethink the options.

brush.jpg

I do not have a flail mower anymore, now I use a 54" single action sickle bar and am very happy with it. I don't really miss the flail mower either. The sickle will cut anything a flail will cut while keeping RPMs down and mow twice the width!
A sickle makes the most sense to me, as well, for long term maintenance. A sickle mower is a more effective option for the amount of cutting width and speed. I wouldn't want to try to maintain 5 acres only cutting 26" at a pass.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #77  
What I would do there for initial clearing if possible is use tractor with landscape rake, drive in reverse with rake turned around backwards and push all that stuff to the bottom of the hill where i can compost or be burned., Than you can easily keep up with it with the walk-behind. The more years of letting things go and not doing anything the more work it is to cut it back down. How long since the area in the picture was cleared?

How woody is the vegetation in the picture, and how thick are the stems? The flail mower will have no problem with one pass cutting something like tons of blackberry but if you want it mow bushes down you will probaly want to do a second pass.

10-15 years because I was uncomfortable getting on the slope with my tractor and didn't want anyone else on it, either.

Some of the briars are 1/2 thick. There are some trees that will have to be chainsawed, and some 1" saplings.

I decided to cut some of the kudzu infested slope today with the Bachtold just to get it clear in my own mind what it can and can't do. If I raise the cutter and drop it on the brush, I can nibble away at it, and it chops it up pretty well.

However, if I try to just cut it, the vegetation is too tall and it leaves piles of 4-5' of uncut material. I tried cutting by running through it and then making another pass to grind it up, but it was worse than the nibble method.

If I only partly cut up the material and vegetation gets hung on the mower, it's actually pretty difficult pulling it back since the Bachtold has no power reverse.

The area that was just briars was easier to cut than the area that was mixed with kudzu because the kudzu vine clings to everything in sight. I'd say it's 50+ percent harder cutting the area where there is kudzu mixed in. Actually 100% harder if the kudzu is very tall.

After about 8 hours of cutting, it was pretty exhausting.

First picture is the debris that piles up if I just try running through it. It's actually dangerous because the temptation is to pull it off, but the drive belt and blade are pretty exposed on this machine. Once it finally gets to the ground, it's difficult to grind it up.

Second and third pictures are the brush being cut by nibbling relative to the mower. Raising the cutter and repeatedly dropping it onto the brush does a better job of grinding it up.

Fourth picture is the end result. It does grind up the material. It's just the amount of labor required to get to this point.

debris mess.jpg nibble.jpgD71_7987.jpgresults.jpg

Last edited:
   / Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #79  
Looks like you got some good work done! I think you would be very impressed what a Grillo/BCS with flail or rotorary cutter would accomplish in comparison to the bachtold.

I bet you slept real good last night!

The flail in my experience will cut any of the briars fully mulched with dull blades. The woody material it can cut 1/2" pretty easy but 1" I would go over a second time.

As long as you can push it over it will likely cut it.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #80  
You could wait and try to find a BCS/Grillo on Craigslist/Marketplace to save money.

I bought my 853 3 years ago with a Berta Rotory plow for $3,200. It needed new plow shares and that was it.

My previous BCS was a 830, which is precursor to 852. it is very similar but the controls are not near as ergonomical and the handlebars are a little shorter.