Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #61  
The Grillo dealer seems pretty confident that the Grillo/flail will cut this briar patch, but said it will be slow. Haven't heard from the Orec rep, but I suspect they'll say the same thing.

Trouble is, I know from experience that cutting brush with a walk behind on a hillside is a hard physical task. That's really why I'm interested in finding some kind of ride on brush cutter that will work on this slope.

Although I hate to spend an additional $18k for a PT on top of what I already spent on Kubotas, I'm having trouble thinking of a less expensive alternative.

You should also check with the local FECON mulcher brush mower dealer near you as there almost 30 of them around you to see how much a daily rental for a small tracked mulcher would be as it would be able to clear this in less than a day and then go back and grind everything back below ground level so you can use a wood brush killer on it.

They would be able to tell you who has an FTX150 or FTX150-2 that could come and clear this sloped plot as well if they do not have a rental unit of this size.

If the rental or day hire is less than a new purchase I would think about it.

"I hate fighting with things"

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #62  
Giving the whole walking tractor thing more thought.

Commercial lawn mowers went through a phase when they were walk behinds. Then someone got smarter and decided that a tow behind sulky would mean less work. Then someone else saw the shortcomings of sulkies and came up with the stand on mower.

Watching one video demonstrating a walk behind tractor equipped with a rotary brush cutter, it seems to me that the operator was doing a lot of work simply turning the tractor and trying to keep up with it. It looks like a familiar scene to me of having to nibble away at brush by repeatedly driving into it, backing out, going forward, and then having to reposition the tractor by turning it to cut the brush from a different angle. This amounts to a lot of steps just to cut a relatively small area.

Also, the tractor's forward speed doesn't always equate to a comfortable walking speed for the operator when on a hillside and the terrain varies, especially when the tractor has to be turned on a hillside in order to be repositioned.

I understand that these things are built to plow while also doing mowing work. I understand that a sulky isn't going to work well on a hillside, but I also think that brush mowers could be designed to allow for a platform for either walking or stand on operation. Being able to stand on the machine would take a significant amount of work out of this.
Once the operator gets skilled at operating a BCS/Grillo that is properly balanced it is not as much effort as you might think. It is essential that the tractor is properly balanced with the implement because it only has one axle.
It is essential you use the steering brakes all the time.

Do not repeately stop, back up and take bites as you say. This is a good way to wear yourself out on the tractor. Do not use the clutch anymore than you have to, do not stop to turn around. Obviously sometimes you have to stop and reverse and it is not that hard the controls are very well laid out. Just do not do it excessively because it will be tiresome.

With a flail mower you do not have to adjust your attack angle it is a highly effective mower that will take down overgrown brush or 6' tall covercrops in one pass.

There is plenty of speed variation to have a comfortable pace at whatever speed you want to go. The only thing I wish sometimes is that I could go faster, and that is one reason I got extra large wheels.

If you read the above article by Joel it says that BCS was designed for mowing, and that Grillo was made for plowing. That said they both do a pretty good job of doing both, and that is one of the beauties of these walk-behind tractors.

If you are very serious about mowing only BCS makes mowing only tractors that you can't turn the handlebars around on. If you insist on stopping and going alot they also have hydrostatic walk behind tractors now(no clutch)

You can also get the 749 which is the same as the 852/853 but with hydraulic clutch instead of cable which is much easier to pull in.

Last edited:
   / Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #63  
I have never operated a Gravely but I have heard that a BCS much easier to use.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on
Thank you very much for the additional perspective.

My experience with my Gravely is that the 30 inch deck will cut straight into the brush pile and then forward motion stops. One of mine has 4.80-8 tires. Between the weight of the front deck, the forward length of the deck relative to the axle, and the tire size, it's not so easy for me to lift the deck very much to get over brush. Cutting brush at the base just leaves the tangled mess above it.

However, it was Joel's video where I noticed the amount of work, IMO, he was having to put into turning his BCS and keep up with it when using a 32" rotary cutter. It looked like he made a lot of steps just to keep up with the turning radius of the machine.

And in this respect, I wonder if the Orec Cyclone wouldn't have a advantage in that it should be able to turn in its own length with it's track drive system. The disadvantage to the Orec that I see is it uses a 8.4 hp engine for a 25.6" cutter where Grillo and BCS have 13hp available. The list price of the Orec is right at $6,000 where the BCS 852 and Berta 26" flail were quoted to me at $7,867 before shipping. The Orec is also available to rent to try on my property before ordering one. Looking at the Orec, I tend to doubt that the operator can do much to lift the cutter head where perhaps the Grillo/BCS /flail would be easier because of the 22" tires. On the other hand, perhaps the tracks just allow the Orec to push over the brush pile without any lifting? IDK.

I'll offer my assessment of my Bachtold that has the revolving cutter head for additional perspective. Some were made with enclosed deck housing, but mine has the revolving cutter head shown in the picture I posted.

It is significantly lighter than the Gravely. The open cutter head is very efficient at cutting, but tends to cut, not shred material. Cutting tall briars means walking through a pile of them. It will shred them if I manually pull it back over them, but this is tiresome. It only has a single forward speed and no power reverse. If the cutter is raised very far off the ground, the blades throw debris in all directions. The ground speed gets to be too much if I give it very much throttle. The handlebars are fixed and never quite seem to be in the position I'd like them to be. There is no option to raise or tilt them.

So the hoped for advantages I see for the Grillo/BCS/flail would be: 1)that the flail does better at eating the standing brush without having to be lifted over it; 2) that the flail reduces the debris without throwing it everywhere so I no longer walk through piles of cut thorns; 3) that the 22" tires do better at pushing through the brush; 4) that the handlebars will allow for better leverage over the front flail in case it does need to be lifted; and 5) that the handlebars can be swung to the side out of the path of the briars reducing the unpleasantness to the operator.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #65  
Swinging the handlebars is really nice feature when mowing next to the fence or cutting through a tall patch of briars.

When the tractor is properly balanced( some downforce on implement but not much) it is pretty easy to lift the implement off the ground with the handlebars. It looks to me like you are unable to manipulate the Orec like the BCS/Grillo by lifting/pushing down on handlebars.

You do take a lot of steps keeping up with the turning radius of the tractor. In my opinion they are pretty effortless as with the steering brakes if you are maxed out in third the tractor kind of throws you around the turn. It is kind of like a dance with the tractor and can be lot of fun I think.

The flail mower will mostly destroy everything in its path. If the material is very woody and/or you have dull blades you may want to take a second pass.

There is an interesting guy on YT going by America meets Switzerland. In one of his videos (farming the Alps #8), he talks about the difficulty and risk of mowing hay on mountain sides. They use the Aebi 4 wheel slope mowers where conditions permit, but at the steepest portions of the mountains, they use two wheel Rapid tractors running on steel wheels with spikes to sickle mow by hand.

The Rapid 2 wheel tractors in the video have hydrostatic transmissions controlled by turning the right hand grip either left (reverse) or right (forward) with the speed also being controlled by how far the grip is turned.

While I may personally have this thing for wanting a 4 wheel slope mower, it looks like farmers in Switzerland reach for their two wheel tractors when dealing with their steepest hills. From the looks of what they are cutting, I don't even see how the operators are able to stand up on those slopes other than I guess they are somehow able to hang onto the handbars of the tractors.

Last edited:
   / Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #67  
Oh yes, two wheel tractors are best for steep slopes because not only do they have a lower center of gravity, but you aren't riding on them so if they do roll or flip (stay uphill on the steepest sections) there's little danger.

Walking behind a tractor is more work than riding it, but at low speeds with steering brakes it isn't an enormous strain. Fast turns are done with the steering brakes. Slow turns are made by pulling the handlebars with a lean, not a brute force push.

A hairpin 180 at the highest speed is athletic, but often unnecessary.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #68  
Going too fast with a BCS/Grillo is not a factor, the manual shift models have three speed transmissions and the hydrostatic models have infinite speed adjustment.

The Grillo 110 is the model I've been pricing because its less expensive than the BCS models. The specs say .8 mph in first gear.

The pricing of the mowers seems steep. $2280 for a 26" Berta flail mower. The Woodmax FM-54 is $2374 for a full size tractor.

I"m not sure if I should be getting a flail mower instead of a rotary brush mower. Is a flail mower really going to do a better job of mowing 4-6' tall briar patches in terms of being able to cut into the pile and then cutting its way through it instead of having to nibble away at it?

The videos that others have linked in this thread seem to show the tractor tires spinning when they run into brush piles which stops forward progress. Then they back up and start nibbling again. Would foam filled tires help?

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #70  
Foam tires are just to eliminate flats. On 4 wheel tractors, foamed front tires meant you lost the suspension of a tire. Very bumpy driving the neighbors JD with foam filled front tires. They were also aircraft landing tires mounted on front tractor rims so maybe the 24 ply tires were going to be stiff, foam or not. Big difference I guess between 8 ply rated versus 8 ply actual or in the case of landing gear tires, a lot more plies.

What happened to you renting a unit to see if you liked it? You can talk and talk but actually having a rig to use lets you know within 8 hours if you really want to mow those slopes. Maybe temporary fences and temporary goats will be less work once you get the slopes tamed. The neighbors goats keep the briars down in one little no mans section of our property.

We had a demo of a stand on leaf blower. The guys that did not grasp the concept of squeeze levers to go and steer, gently release the levers to stop got the thrill of getting bucked off the equipment. The go levers are also the brakes. 6 mph to zero in a millisecond will buck you. I would not want a stand on for hillside mowing. I like the idea of quick stop when all hands off stops all progress and drama.