Online tv question

/ Online tv question #1  

reb

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM1500D
I am a retired electrical engineer, but not up to speed on modern electronic devices; for instance, I have no idea how to download an "app."

I am trying to figure out how to stream tv programs. I have a smart tv, but the controller lists only a few sources, none of which I think I want. What do I need to be able to do that?

/ Online tv question #2  
I am a retired electrical engineer, but not up to speed on modern electronic devices; for instance, I have no idea how to download an "app."

I am trying to figure out how to stream tv programs. I have a smart tv, but the controller lists only a few sources, none of which I think I want. What do I need to be able to do that?
The addition of an Amazon firestick or a Roku controller (all inexpensive) generally makes the process rather simple but most Smart TV's should have settings to add channels or providers. What TV are you using.

/ Online tv question
The addition of an Amazon firestick or a Roku controller (all inexpensive) generally makes the process rather simple but most Smart TV's should have settings to add channels or providers. What TV are you using.

Thanks for the reply. I have a Vizio, probably 4 or 5 years old. One reviewer on Amazon says Roku won't work with Youtube TV, which I am considering.

/ Online tv question #4  
Timely question......I just made a change on my tv's. I have older Sony flatscreens (ten years plus old), but they have usb and Ethernet ports.

I subscribe to Spectrum (Time Warner) for cable, and had cable boxes at each tv at a monthly cost of $9 each.

I bought three Roku streaming devices (basically wireless usb sticks) at Target for $40 each and returned my three cable boxes to Spectrum. The cost of the Roku devices will be recouped in four months.

the Roku devices basically let me access my same Spectrum cable tv channel subscription - it does it via wifi instead of through the cable boxes. You do need to have internet/wifi at the house.

the Roku devices come with a remote.
Works great.

hardest part is getting used to using a different remote.

/ Online tv question #5  
My brother just called and wants me to look over a log loader swap he is doing. He can watch u tube on his TV and I'll ask him in a few.

/ Online tv question #6  
I would recommend the fire stick over the roku stick. Our local cable TV is streamed through an app now instead of using a cable box.

Got a roku stick to start with and the local TV app was extremely clunky to use. Was getting frustrated to the point where I was about to cancel the TV service, but decided to try the firestick first.

The app through the fire stick was much more user friendly and less issues over all.

Both sticks have a bunch of free stuff you can download. We also have about 300 channels just over the internet using the Pluto TV app on our smart TV.

Wife and I have an Amazon prime account which includes TV streaming. And we also have a Netflix account we use.

/ Online tv question #7  
Thanks for the reply. I have a Vizio, probably 4 or 5 years old. One reviewer on Amazon says Roku won't work with Youtube TV, which I am considering.
As far as I know that was a contractual issue earlier this year and that was straightened out since.

I have a Roku tv in my shop and Fire tv control in the house and I find the amazon firestick very friendly. I will say the 53" Roku tv was $329 at Walmart and a great buy though.

/ Online tv question #8  
We have a fire stick for the local cable and it will download apps. My daughters TV came with some apps installed and it appears there is no way to add any without something like Roku or a Firestick.

/ Online tv question #9  
buy fire stick.
Download youtube tv
done.

*Youtube tv requires a google account aka gmail account. Get that first.

/ Online tv question
Thanks for the replies. Looks like it will be a fire stick and youtube tv. Gotta get a cell phone first, tho, to set up a google account.