Old Window Greenhouse

/ Old Window Greenhouse #31  
Anyone built a greenhouse out of old windows? Starting a project and looking for advice.
I built one 15 years ago. Had old windows from a house I tore down, had some 2x4's, had screws, and a screwgun, and at that time, had some energy, so.... boom. 2 days= free greenhouse. Still standing. The intense heat dried up the old window glazing putty, and a couple of wdows rattled loose in the wind, but didn't break. I siliconed them back in. Some of the mullions are rotting, but still hold. If I did it again, I would pound some clear 100% silicone over all the putty making sure the bead makes contact with the glass on one side and the wood frame on the other, and I'd be more diligent about repainting the frames every 5 years. That way it would last a long time. But hey, 15 years for a free greenhouse (10x10) is not so bad either. and it's still going.

/ Old Window Greenhouse
Anyone see any good reason why I could not use 2x4s as my rafters? Probably going to go 24" on center but cut 2' 2x4 "stringer" to run between them every 2 feet. They will be running across a 10" span. I can use 2x6s but I want to keep it a little cheaper and I just don't want the roof to be that heavy. I am considering putting the entire roof on hinges so I can lifting the back end up for ventilation towards the end of the spring. I feel like 2x4s with cross supports should be plenty strong to hold up the plastic roofing.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #35  
I'd say that a 2x6 is a better solution for a leak proof roof, let alone if you get snow. We don't get much snow by me, well just got 10" but.... So I've done well with 2x6 rafters on my leanto and loafing shed. On the last one, thought I'd notch them for the 2x4 purlins. Both hold up 12' steel. Takes the worry out for when these wind and snow events happen.

/ Old Window Greenhouse
You know, notching them isn't a bad idea. I may go with 2x6s after all. Still need to look at what roofing I already bought and see what else I need before I make any purchasing decisions for the roof yet.

Another question... The clear corrugated roofing has foam pieces that fill the ends where the ridges are. I know I want to keep in as much heat as possible but might it be a good idea to leave these out? Its not a lot of air, but maybe enough to let the greenhouse "breath?"

/ Old Window Greenhouse #37  
I feel like your original idea of opening roof or otherwise controlling when and how much structure breathes would be best.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #38  
Anyone see any good reason why I could not use 2x4s as my rafters? Probably going to go 24" on center but cut 2' 2x4 "stringer" to run between them every 2 feet. They will be running across a 10" span. I can use 2x6s but I want to keep it a little cheaper and I just don't want the roof to be that heavy. I am considering putting the entire roof on hinges so I can lifting the back end up for ventilation towards the end of the spring. I feel like 2x4s with cross supports should be plenty strong to hold up the plastic roofing.
Use 2×4 but do not go 24" on center especially if you live where you get heavy snow.

You're not using plywood sheeting that polycarbonate isn't very strong and I think you're better off using the smaller wood but closer on center like 16 in on center. This is assuming you're using a gable roof and not trying to span the whole 10 ft with 2x4s. Just my opinion.

/ Old Window Greenhouse
I am going 10' with a shed roof. Maybe I will just go with 2x6 and figure out a good way of lifting it. If I have to use a jack of some kind I will. I am leaning towards notching them now with the 2x4s laying flush. Makes more surface area for the plastic to lay on. I can't imagine the price difference being to great between 12' 2x4s and 2x6s.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #40  
Greenhouses are such an individual thing. Seed starters VS a constant use GH, what you grow, when you want to grow it, where you are make it -a living breathing thing really. Ventilation always seems necessary and it is good to be able to vary the amount due to heat and humidity. Shade cloths on the windows should be at least thought of to keep temps down. A fun journey and good thing is you don't have to create the perfect thing all at once. We did roof top poly vents. Built a frame, curbed it so it wouldn't leak. Added the little automatic vent openers. In the end, something else simple we did made all that unnecessary. Have fun.