Oil Leak

/ Oil Leak #1  

GTSRider

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3000
I have a 2003... 3000 series Cub Cadet with close to 800 hard hr.s on the Kohler 20hp engine.
It appears to be leaking oil again from the rear seal.
I replaced both front and rear seals at around 500 hr.s in 2011.
Engine is at the end of it's life cycle, and I don't want to replace seals again.....
so my question is...has anyone ever had ant luck with oil seal fixes in a bottle.
I'd like to get 1 more season out of engine, and then I will replace engine with new...or go to a newer
used tractor....
Thanks,
Pete
Hudson Valley ,NY

/ Oil Leak #2  
It's probably worth a try. I don't think it will hurt anything. Why do you think the engine is at "end of life"? I realize some things aren't built as well these days but I had 1200 hours on my 14 hp Kohler in a Cub 1450 and it gave no indication of quitting other than using a pint of oil every couple weeks or so.

Bob B.

/ Oil Leak #3  
Pete - might be as simple as going to the "high side" with the weight of engine oil being used... also look for any crankcase venting probs that could be aggravating the rear seal leak... and chk for any unusual driveline vibrations that could be putting added wear on that seal..

/ Oil Leak
You may have hit on something.... maybe the Rotella 15 40 is too heavy for this engine ?

/ Oil Leak #5  
tractor or engine owner's manual should give you a diagram showing recommended oil viscosity ranges for different ambient operating temps - I would go with the highest number in those ranges and even try a straight weight oil in place of the multigrades like your rotella. Higher number means thicker oil, less drip. Natural (dino) vs synthetic may also help.
And there are decent oil seal conditioners avail from dealers, autoparts stores, etc - would stick with a known trade name .

/ Oil Leak #6  
I've never had any luck with those "seal conditioners".

On the other hand, I've never had any trouble with using 15-40 oil in the summer months. Wouldn't recommend it for a machine used as a snow plow, blower, salt spreader.

jack vines

/ Oil Leak
Yes...I'm going to try Bars sealer for engine oil leaks...at this point it is worth the try.