burnt olds

Tractor
yanmar 20 hp
my yanmar 20 hp has 446 hours
started dripping a quart every 2 hrs or less out blow tube off valve cover
what is up with it ???
it's a 83 year model 4 wheel drive
i bought it used with 435 hours and it looks new
tube might have been plugged to sale ???
could this be the start of blowed head gasket ?
no oil in water or water in oil
it's hard to start now , but winter is on way so temps at night have dropped
no excessive smoke out exhaust , no bubbles in radiator .
how do you check compression ?

/ oil dripping out blow tube #2  
what is up with it ???

Most likley blow by is from rings. Check compression with a compression tester by removing injectors 1 at a time

/ oil dripping out blow tube #3  
I have a Yanmar 1500D that has a very small amount of oil at the end of the blow by tube coming out of the crankcase vent housing. The only difference is that once it starts up and runs for about a minute there is white smoke coming from the tube also, and when you uinscrew the oil filler cap the same white smoke comes from there also. I have worked on several cars before, never diesel, and am wondering how long or difficult it would be to rebuild the rings....the engine was totally rebuilt last year and worked fine all spring and summer until about a month ago....never did overheat and I changed the oil and filter as scheduled. Should I rebuild again or get a match and look for a new tractor?

/ oil dripping out blow tube #4  
what is up with it ???

Kenmac is right most likely the rings are worn and you are getting compression past them. It's not a real hard job to put in a new set of rings, these engines are really pretty easy to work on. I had to put a head gasket on mine twice last year (head was warped it turn out) and it was not a huge job. I would do an inframe if you are going to do it and put in new bearings as well since you will have the pan off anyway.

On a side note if you load a new engine hard before it has time to seat the rings well it will do this as well. I have seen as much a gallon come out of larger diesels (2000hp) in a 8 hour test.

Box

/ oil dripping out blow tube #5  
I have a Yanmar 1500D that has a very small amount of oil at the end of the blow by tube coming out of the crankcase vent housing. The only difference is that once it starts up and runs for about a minute there is white smoke coming from the tube also, and when you uinscrew the oil filler cap the same white smoke comes from there also. I have worked on several cars before, never diesel, and am wondering how long or difficult it would be to rebuild the rings....the engine was totally rebuilt last year and worked fine all spring and summer until about a month ago....never did overheat and I changed the oil and filter as scheduled. Should I rebuild again or get a match and look for a new tractor?

Sounds like blowby, but make sure you don't have moisture getting in there some how as well. Sometimes we see engines that sit up get mositure in them and they sort of steam it out for a while once they are running for a while. I'm not talking about a lot, not enough to turn the oil milk or anything like that. Do you store the tractor outside? I do and I have to cover the stack to keep rain from collecting in the muffler, if I don't it will white smoke and spit greasy water out until it burns it off. Scared me the 1st time it did this until I removed the muffler and figure out the engine was fine.

Box

/ oil dripping out blow tube #6  
Wish it was just moisture as I do have to store the tractor outside, but it did the same thing with the muffler taken off....it is now very hard to even get started unless I release the compression lever..

/ oil dripping out blow tube
Most likley blow by is from rings. Check compression with a compression tester by removing injectors 1 at a time

with such low hours , i don't see it as ring failure now would you ?
on gas motors you remove all plugs and test compression , would you not pull all injectors ?
what type compression tester do i use ?
one with the rubber end you hold by hand ?
this all started after fuel was needed , could it have been running a additive of some type to the fuel from pre owner ?
he want return calls , wonder why ?
he just put the new loader on it after having it since brand new 1983 .
and ups and sells it .most wouldn't sale once you get a loader to play with .

/ oil dripping out blow tube #8  
Check Hoye's site and ebay they both have a pressure testing tool that you will need. You pull one injector and test each cylinder, the tool installs in the injector hole, you do not hold it in like the one for a gas engine.

/ oil dripping out blow tube #9  
with such low hours , i don't see it as ring failure now would you ?
on gas motors you remove all plugs and test compression , would you not pull all injectors ?
what type compression tester do i use ?
one with the rubber end you hold by hand ?
this all started after fuel was needed , could it have been running a additive of some type to the fuel from pre owner ?
he want return calls , wonder why ?
he just put the new loader on it after having it since brand new 1983 .
and ups and sells it .most wouldn't sale once you get a loader to play with .

Do you know if those are true hours on the meter??

On gasoline you donot pull all the plugs at once to do a compression test. Atleast I never did

On diesel pull 1 injector at a time to check comp.

/ oil dripping out blow tube
Do you know if those are true hours on the meter??

On gasoline you donot pull all the plugs at once to do a compression test. Atleast I never did

On diesel pull 1 injector at a time to check comp.

in auto shop and diesel college they told us to pull all plugs to get true reading , been doing it that way for 22 years on gas motors , i tried one plug at a time on a hard to reach van and got different readings .
yes by way tractor looks , I'd say hours is right as paint on all in good shape , no paint chips on bolts to motor , clean .no repaint , tires are as new , just dry rot from 1983 year .