OEM or copy brand

/ OEM or copy brand
Thank you to all for your replies.

This is a rural house w “no inspections or codes” per se, but I’ve always been a code + person and nothing less.

The Power COOP is forcing me to change out my current 30 yr old meter loop/panel and overhead run from meter loop weatherhead to my homes weatherhead. I am having to run everything undergrd now.

I’ve installed many sub panels and probably run 200-300ft of various electrical circuits over the yrs and never had an issue one time. I’ve had them inspected by electricians and all said “very well done”. I have all of my project plans and material lists reviewed prior by electricians.

The POCO is replacing my meterloop pole and current 100amp pantl and installing a new 200amp panel. They are not allowing any overhead runs so I’m digging a 70ft trench 30” deep running two # 2 copper & one #4 copper. The panel is a Siemens SNW0816B1200T w a 200amp main cutoff. I have multiple daughters in college and upgrading the current 100amp panel on my house is not in the immediate budget. Once the COOP does their part, I’ll have the trench Pre dug minus 4 ft from the new meter loop pole to be. I’ll have all my wire and 2” gray sch 40 PVC ready to go. I’ll turn off the 200amp main breaker on the new panel at meter loop, test bus w multimeter to make sure it’s non energized, then connect Siemens 125 amp c-breaker in top of bus, torque the copper wire to spec & plug in the 125am breaker. Since this 125amp breaker is so critical, it needs to both work and last. I might just buy 2 and return one of them after all is good.

To conclude, price isn’t everything, but an extra $100 or $50 bucks helps on the bottom line at this time. Saving about $3000 by doing this myself w a few engr friends help.

Thanks again

/ OEM or copy brand #12  
Hello to all

I am having to upgrade my electrical service at ranch. Need a Siemens double pole 125amp cir breaker (Q2125) bc the service panel the POCO is installing is a Siemens panel: SNW0816B1200T

I’ve enclosed an Amazon link that has the Q2125 I need. Home Depot has the same Q2125 for $106, an electrical supply store for $156, but the ones (see black breakers Q2125 for $49 & $55) on Amazon are much less. Are the ones on Amazon knockoffs are OEM? If latter, how can these be that much cheaper?

Thank you very much for your comments.

Amazon.com : q2125
Looking at the Q&A for the $48 dollar one shows a lot of electrical supply houses, and one listed as a Manufacturer, saying this is a Siemens. There is also a Seimens pdf listed with the specs. If it comes in as something different, just return it as not being as advertised. But i believe it would be the real deal.

/ OEM or copy brand
One thing to note. Once the power COOP makes the change out, I have no power to freezer / refrigerator until I install the Siemens 125amp breaker and flip the switch. There is no returning it snd get another one bc that will take days while all my food goes bad. That’s why I might order 2. Does this change anyones perspective?

/ OEM or copy brand #14  
Nope..
Does this change anyones perspective?
Nope.

edit: Use the Frozen Water jug trick to increase the amount of thermal mass in the fridge and freezer and increase your working time.

/ OEM or copy brand #15  
Knockoff products are out there for sure but I see similar pricing on ebay for the same breaker.

/ OEM or copy brand
Thanks again guys...ordered 2 of them...I'll be ready for my 3/29 install date...I'll post some pics final installation....best, tstex

/ OEM or copy brand #17  
Knockoff products are out there for sure but I see similar pricing on ebay for the same breaker.
Some of those knock offs could even have fake certifications. As long as you buy from a reputable seller you should be ok but there is no guarantee you are buying an authentic product. In some cases, legitimate distributors have been fooled into selling knock offs.

/ OEM or copy brand #18  
i still remember buying new, branded remmington electric razor replacement blades for my razor. Looked EXACTLY like originals, packaging even exact. bought on Amazon for about 1/2 the cost of them thru actual brick and mortar store. they ripped hairs out of face. sent back and got refund. purchased at wallgreens, those worked smooth as silk.

stupid Chinese ripoffs.

/ OEM or copy brand
I agree that knock-offs can infiltrate even the best of distributors. The real key, IMHO, is determining a baseline cost the manufacturer sets, then you can determine if the selling price is way off or not. The electrical supply house wants $156.00 for the Q2125. That's far an above beyond anything else I have seen.

/ OEM or copy brand #20  
I agree that knock-offs can infiltrate even the best of distributors. The real key, IMHO, is determining a baseline cost the manufacturer sets, then you can determine if the selling price is way off or not. The electrical supply house wants $156.00 for the Q2125. That's far an above beyond anything else I have seen.
Supply houses have homeowner costs…
and contractor costs.