Novice wants a MIG, advise ?

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #151  
At this point for the home user, it's time to put the Harbor Freight Titanium and Vulcan models in the "name brand" category. My .02. Professionally I have used Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, and Snap-On units. After I retired, moved and set up my own home shop, I did some research and ended up buying a Vulcan Pro-Tig 200 and a Titanium MIG 170. I was able to get the Pro-Tig for $250 at a HF Sidewalk sale. Someone bought it, used it for a job, then returned it. It was marked at $500 and if it didn't sell it was $250 the nest day. I told the manager make it $250 now and I will also buy the MIG and some consumables. BAM. Worth checking your local store for returns. Very easy to set up and use. Lots of aftermarket support. The only gripes are with the standard guns and ground clamps. They are serviceable enough but you may want to replace them. New Vulcans have a great extended warranty available. In my experience it is easier dealing with HF than Home Depot or Lowes if there is an issue. The local welding supply place won't give any deals to non commercial users. A lot of the more affordable "name brand" units have lots of Chinese parts and crappy drive mechanisms. In the end YOU are the factor that determines the quality of your welds for the most part. I didn't worry too much about duty cycles for home use and I have yet to bump up against it repairing or fabricating around the property.
I agree. I wasn't HFs biggest fan. I needed a new welder so I figured I'd go to HD again and buy another Lincoln 220 mig. Box said made in China. I decided for the money, I'll give HF a shot. If it sucks I'll return it. So far, I love the Titanium 170 compared to my last Lincoln. I'd definitely buy again.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #152  
HF had a change in management some 10 years ago. I think now they are deadly serious about filling the gap that Craftsman abandoned as 'America's tool store'.

They now have three or four quality levels in many products, with the top levels intended to compete head to head with respected brands.
It's a new world for them.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #154  
My gut tells me you are right here about buying local. I have been watching UTUBE reviews and reading until my eyeballs are exhausted. Seems EVERY machine (Everlast, Yes welders, Titanium, Vulcan, just to name a few) are capable, and it is difficult to "really" find any bad reviews. I do not have any issue ordering minor parts such as contact tips, especially if they are "standard" (i.e., tweco), which some of the "cheaper" class machines may use, some not.
As a NEWBIE, I appreciate all the suggestions for sure. But, looking at all the different machines and capabilities is quite mind-boggling. To this day, I remain confused about the differing drive mechanisms and guns and quality. My Miller Stick (Thunderbolt) was easy to add extra lead wires, that is straight forward. For MIG, now there is gas/wire involved and what connectors are used on what machine remains a mystery if you want an extension?
If I stay with a local welding supply, I have one choice - AirGas. They of course offer Miller, Lincoln and Hobart. I would be dealing with them for gas anyway. After much consideration of welding amps for my applications, and since I have a stick, I think the MIG can be a lesser machine.
So, I have concluded all things considered, and not needing the more advanced and pricier machines (from Lincoln / Miller) that offer auto-set and continuously adjustable feed and voltage, I will go with a Hobart thru AirGas. Have always read good reviews and parts / consumables local thru AirGas or Tractor Supply (which our local store is really pitiful about stocking welding supplies, yes some, but slots on the shelves may be empty when you look for something)
Hobart 125 ($545 airgas) - 120v only, maybe too many limitations for me - NO
Hobart 190 ($939 airgas) - 240v only (25/190A), but about $200 more:
Hobart 210 ($1149 airgas) - 115v / 230v (90A 20% / 150A 30%),
Infinite wire speed. Says 15A input at 115V (normal outlet, MultiVoltagePlug), safety features. on and on => YES

This gives me the room ($$) to buy a bottle (somewhere) and a cart. Local AirGas cannot get bottles right now for purchase. I do not want to rent. But I will begin with FluxCore for practice and my less "pretty" projects. All in all, for better or worse, I am married to this machine. :)
As mentioned, this is a part-time hobby. I am not in the shop fabricating every day. So, whatever limitations the Hobart 210 might have, will just learn to live with them.

MANY MANY thanks to EVERYONE who has commented and helped!!!!!! :cool::):)
You will be very happy with this welder.