Backhoe New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #31  
Update:

I started the tractor last night after the recent maintenance.

Rad. Hoses
Thermostat and gasket
Water pump inspection removal, cleaning, new gaskets
Alternator replacement
Fan belt
Oil filter and change
Air filter change/intake oil cup change

I still need to install my new temp and gas gauges which ill get to soon.

Hopefully tonight I will have time to post some pics displaying the on-going project I have been working on. It essentially consists of constructing an access road (rip-rap, woven geo-textile, 1 1/4" crushed) to the backside of my barn. So that 6 months out of the year I can actually access the barn and the back pasture, ect.

Western Wa is so wet from Oct. to Apr. I finally had enough.

EverGreen sells the proper gauges, with the proper specs, that read correctly .

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel
Nice shots. That old tractor is in pretty decent shape. Could use a wash and wax, but that can wait.

Looks to me like you have one remote outlet. One port is for fluid going to the implement, the other is for the fluid returning. Somewhere (it's usually by the three point lift lever) there's a control for the remote. A remote like this can be used to extend and contact a hydraulic cylinder on an implement, to raise and lower travel wheels on a disc for example, or adjust the angle of a back blade. If you don't have anything with a hydraulic cylinder, you can make or buy (Brian at FitRite hydraulics makes great stuff) a cylinder which replaces your top link. This allows you to adjust the pitch of anything you've got on the three point, which is real handy.

Good for you for not being afraid to tear into stuff. Old tractors like this one aren't exactly Swiss watches, so it's a great learning opportunity. Getting the manuals is a great idea.

Thank you very much sir!!!! I have been working on BMWs, Audis, Triumphs, ect. since I can remember but tractors.....not so much. Just nuts and bolts, fluids, ect. :)

Ok,

So I am very interested in adding a hydraulic top link to my JD1020D for items like my new rear blade and the landscape rake I hopefully pick up in the near future. And I guess it would be utilized with my (Dads old) Landpride rota tiller? Right?

So you educated me that I have one rear remote and also that there is a lever next to my 3pt control lever that controls it. Got it.

So essentially....the little hydraulic cylinder replaces my top link. There will be two hoses....From remote to cylinder, from cylinder to remote. I have read to measure my top link to ensure the cylinder can extend/retract to similar dimensions as the link (any more info on this would be great).

What I don't understand...is what actually controls or moves the new top link cylinder...The rear remote lever next to my 3pt control lever I would assume just makes the rear remote live? Correct?

Please educate me....further hahahaha.

Thanks everyone in advance!!!!

Dad (I hope) would be so proud that the old 69 1020D is getting attention. God knows he just never had enough time to get "everything" done and I just never understood or appreciated how much he did accomplish.

He was a nose to the grindstone type, and I hope I can live up to that.

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #33  
the hydro top link is controlled by your lever. push the lever ahead to retract the cylinder and push back to extend the cylinder or vise versa depending on how you have your hoses ran to the remote. It's not "live" in the sense that it will move on its own but will stay put once your done fiddling with the lever.

the hydro top link is controlled by your lever. push the lever ahead to retract the cylinder and push back to extend the cylinder or vise versa depending on how you have your hoses ran to the remote. It's not "live" in the sense that it will move on its own but will stay put once your done fiddling with the lever.

Thank you very much for the information.

So really it is just two hose sections and the proper sized cylinder.

Anyone perform this upgrade to a 1020 specifically?

My top link is a screw in/out type for extension/retraction so should I extend it out all the way to judge how far my new top link piston should extend, ect?

1;) hydraulic remotes - John Deere

This article talks about a 1020 with rear remotes installed, ect.

Someone references that it is equipped with "Pioneer Type" quick hydraulic connections...and that was odd to him/her.

My 1020 has the JD style ports.

Can someone tell me what that style is "called" so I can get the correct hose fittings, ect.

THANKS!!

Thank you.

Based off of your information and the picture I posted of my rear remote it seems I have ISO 5675 style rear remote ports?

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #38  
Where is your picture? You'll need to determine the ISO AND the size.

FYI "Pioneer" is a brand like Xerox used as a synonym for "agricultural" quick couplers. "Agricultural" couplers have a pointy male and an open female as opposed to "flat face" couplers with an appropriately descriptive name.

P. S. : I am not an expert.

View attachment 461306View attachment 461304View attachment 461305View attachment 461301View attachment 461302View attachment 461303View attachment 461300

Here are some photos that I just took while I am working on the old girl.

Please feel free to tell me what you see in terms of the hydraulic system used, ect. So I have a dual rear detachable remote setup? How does this setup work exactly?

AKA educate me haha.

Thanks everyone!!!

Pic 6 is what I was referring to.

And thanks for the explanation about the "pioneer" term being a proprietary eponym.

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #40  
Pic 6 is what I was referring to.

And thanks for the explanation about the "pioneer" term being a proprietary eponym.

At least that's how I understand pioneer to be used.
I don't know how to tell from a female coupler what the ISO style is other than looking at what's stamped on the outside.
From my limited experience the IsO 7241-1 series B has been the most common.
The size (i.e. 3/8") is the internal diameter and in practical terms dictates the size hose you pair it with. So if you need/have 3/8" hose you use/have a 3/8" coupler.