Backhoe New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #1  

PNW1020D

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 1020
Hello all,

I live on a small farm in western WA with just a couple head of cattle and about 7 acres that I have grown up on for my entire life. I just recently turned 25.

I grew up with a 1969 JD 1020 three cylinder diesel tractor that would perform the gardening tasks, feed stall cleaning, basic around the place work that my dad needed it to. It has a front end loader on it and works pretty well and we also have a 5' rota tiller attachment.

Recently the place has come under my full responsibility and I need the tractor to be more versatile for projects that my father never performed that I feel are needed or brand new projects all together that I want to construct.

So I want to add a backhoe attachment to this tractor so I can perform things like trench digging for french drains, more close quarters excavation, ect.

Please see the links below of some recent backhoe attachments that are for sale in my area.

Bush Hog 3 point hitch backhoe

3 Point Self-contained Backhoe

I would truly appreciate some guidance on how to go about getting a backhoe attachment set up on our old JD and pretty much any information you all have about the tractor in general.

1. what styles to look for
2.what style are compatable
3.price
4.brands
5. ect. ect.

Thanks in advance!!!!

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #2  
On behalf of 99% of the tractorbynet community . We are both glad and relieved to know that you did not purchase a Deere 1010 diesel or any 2010. There is the 1% out there that love the 2010.
JD at one time built backhoes for agricultural tractors . They have a quick rigid hitch that does not flip flop around on a three point hitch.
Iirc there was a model 7,8,10 and 10A . I have a 10A on a 1640 with the hydraulics on direct supply and returning to a ported filter cover. Found the backhoe on eBay of all places.
Make certain the corrosion inhibitor in the antifreeze has not expired.
Pull the transmission oil screen and oil filter . If they are full of ground up grey metal or wet clutch/wet brake friction material . There are some $$$ repairs ahead .
1-800-522-7448 for the operator's and service manuals. Parts book is free on the JD web site.

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel
I have read up on that same topic for some time now. Meaning I am really lucky that dad somehow got a 1020 diesel (for free I will mention haha) instead of the 1020 gas or as you mentioned the 1010 or 2010 models. Lucky me!!!

To speak to your comment about repairs and $ I am no stranger. I have recently (within the last year) had the boom and bucket pistons rebuilt, replaced multiple rigid and flex lines due to leaks, performed a full coolant flush (dropped the radiator, garden hose through the thermostat housing, ect.), replaced the rubber fuel lines boots that were leaking, and did perform a tranny flush with filter change and screen cleaning while replacing my PTO shaft seal.

Thanks for the info about the parts, operator, and service manuals!!!

It seems that many people run the ARPS backhoe on older tractors. Anyone have any info on this backhoe geared specifically to my 1020?

Or better!!! Anyone have a 1020 with a backhoe? Specifics?

Any info is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!!

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #4  
I have read up on that same topic for some time now. Meaning I am really lucky that dad somehow got a 1020 diesel (for free I will mention haha) instead of the 1020 gas or as you mentioned the 1010 or 2010 models. Lucky me!!!

To speak to your comment about repairs and $ I am no stranger. I have recently (within the last year) had the boom and bucket pistons rebuilt, replaced multiple rigid and flex lines due to leaks, performed a full coolant flush (dropped the radiator, garden hose through the thermostat housing, ect.), replaced the rubber fuel lines boots that were leaking, and did perform a tranny flush with filter change and screen cleaning while replacing my PTO shaft seal.

Thanks for the info about the parts, operator, and service manuals!!!

It seems that many people run the ARPS backhoe on older tractors. Anyone have any info on this backhoe geared specifically to my 1020?

Or better!!! Anyone have a 1020 with a backhoe? Specifics?

Any info is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!!

The 1020 gasser is a perfectly acceptable tractor for puttering around tasks. Less trouble than some new Tier IV diesels used in light and medium duty applications.
The JD backhoes 8,9,10 & 10A were built specifically for the Dubuque/Mannheim 3 and 4 cylinder utility tractors including the 1020 chassis. The parts book will list mounting brackets.
If you can find a 310,310A & 310B industrial with a backhoe. The backhoe with some work, will cross breed with your 1020. It will be more hoe than tractor however.
10A backhoe with a 12" bucket in dry hard blue clay is about maxed out to fill the bucket. A good mate to the 1020 power wise.

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #5  
You should be very proud of yourself for taking on this responsibly head-on. In my book it also shows a lot of character admitting you are young, don't know everything, need advice, but not backing down from the challenge.
Truly, best of luck to you.

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #6  
Many people don't know the difference between their opinion and fact.

Wonderful phrase; appropriate on this forum.

Last edited:
   / New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #7  
Many people don't know the difference between their opinion and fact.

Wonderful phrase; appropriate on this forum.

Sometimes I'm guilty myself but I try...

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #8  
Sometimes I'm guilty myself but I try...

I know absolutely nothing about JD tractor backhoe attachments!
What I do know is that a 3pt hitch backhoe attachment, is essentially a toy, and will beat the h*** out of your 3pt hitch.
If JD ever made a backhoe sub-frame assembly to fit your tractor,...... find one, and then buy a sub-frame mount hoe.
If not,..... get a different tractor: a tractor that has (or can accept) a sub-frame mounted hoe.
In 1990, ( Ford dealer recommended sub-frame ) I bought a (1970) Ford 3400 TLB with a sub-frame mounted hoe.
It is a toy for me, and I love it!
It is not a huge machine, has only a 10' reach hoe, is strong as an Ox (46HP), and fits nicely in the woods.
Most useful piece of machinery I have ever owned!
I am finally going to put a thumb on it, and give it a 2nd repaint.
The 3400 does also have a usable 3pt. hitch (when hoe is removed), and the hoe itself is actually a "quick disconnect", but that "quick disconnect" is a 20 minute job.
I have a Ford 1920 FEL for all the other little jobs, so the the hoe stays on the 3400.

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #9  
I know absolutely nothing about JD tractor backhoe attachments!
What I do know is that a 3pt hitch backhoe attachment, is essentially a toy, and will beat the h*** out of your 3pt hitch.
If JD ever made a backhoe sub-frame assembly to fit your tractor,...... find one, and then buy a sub-frame mount hoe.
If not,..... get a different tractor: a tractor that has (or can accept) a sub-frame mounted hoe.
In 1990, ( Ford dealer recommended sub-frame ) I bought a (1970) Ford 3400 TLB with a sub-frame mounted hoe.
It is a toy for me, and I love it!
It is not a huge machine, has only a 10' reach hoe, is strong as an Ox (46HP), and fits nicely in the woods.
Most useful piece of machinery I have ever owned!
I am finally going to put a thumb on it, and give it a 2nd repaint.
The 3400 does also have a usable 3pt. hitch (when hoe is removed), and the hoe itself is actually a "quick disconnect", but that "quick disconnect" is a 20 minute job.
I have a Ford 1920 FEL for all the other little jobs, so the the hoe stays on the 3400.

my jd 1640 has the factory built sub frame that fits the JD 10A backhoe. She is a rigid mount.

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel
The 1020 gasser is a perfectly acceptable tractor for puttering around tasks. Less trouble than some new Tier IV diesels used in light and medium duty applications.
The JD backhoes 8,9,10 & 10A were built specifically for the Dubuque/Mannheim 3 and 4 cylinder utility tractors including the 1020 chassis. The parts book will list mounting brackets.
If you can find a 310,310A & 310B industrial with a backhoe. The backhoe with some work, will cross breed with your 1020. It will be more hoe than tractor however.
10A backhoe with a 12" bucket in dry hard blue clay is about maxed out to fill the bucket. A good mate to the 1020 power wise.

Wow thank you everyone for the kind words as well as the information! I truly appreciate it.

Please see the link below....

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/components/ACDetails.aspx?OHID=283439&Mdltxt=10A&Manu=DEERE

What do you think about price, ect, ect?

Thanks in advance!