Backhoe New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel
   / New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #23  
Nice shots. That old tractor is in pretty decent shape. Could use a wash and wax, but that can wait.

Looks to me like you have one remote outlet. One port is for fluid going to the implement, the other is for the fluid returning. Somewhere (it's usually by the three point lift lever) there's a control for the remote. A remote like this can be used to extend and contact a hydraulic cylinder on an implement, to raise and lower travel wheels on a disc for example, or adjust the angle of a back blade. If you don't have anything with a hydraulic cylinder, you can make or buy (Brian at FitRite hydraulics makes great stuff) a cylinder which replaces your top link. This allows you to adjust the pitch of anything you've got on the three point, which is real handy.

Good for you for not being afraid to tear into stuff. Old tractors like this one aren't exactly Swiss watches, so it's a great learning opportunity. Getting the manuals is a great idea.

Thank you very much. Yea she is dirty but I am cleaning while I am in there.

Mom really doesn't like that her car is sitting in the driveway as the 1020 rests in her spot.... :)

Ok so there is def another lever that is located above the 3 point lever. This must be it? You can see it in picture 2. I just have never used it and didn't care to know what it did.

Another Q. When looking at picture 5 you can see two sections that "on, off" markings are displayed. The one in the back is what engages the PTO shaft but the one in the front is for what? And where is my lever lol?

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Thank you very much. Yea she is dirty but I am cleaning while I am in there.

Mom really doesn't like that her car is sitting in the driveway as the 1020 rests in her spot.... :)

Ok so there is def another lever that is located above the 3 point lever. This must be it? You can see it in picture 2. I just have never used it and didn't care to know what it did.

Another Q. When looking at picture 5 you can see two sections that "on, off" markings are displayed. The one in the back is what engages the PTO shaft but the one in the front is for what? And where is my lever lol?

Thanks again everyone!!!!

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #26  
As for the on/off in picture #5. I don't know if that is the same differential that was used on the 301's, but at work, we had a couple that had side mount sickle bar mowers. This was to engage the mid-pto shaft that ran the mower.

I don't know if the mechanism for the rear pto lever is as fragile as the mid-pto, but it didn't take much to break the roll pin inside. Seems whenever I took vacation, they'd put someone on it that didn't like to mow, and would shear that pin, and you need to split the tractor to repair it.

Well ****.

Update:

I started the tractor last night after the recent maintenance.

Rad. Hoses
Thermostat and gasket
Water pump inspection removal, cleaning, new gaskets
Alternator replacement
Fan belt
Oil filter and change
Air filter change/intake oil cup change

I still need to install my new temp and gas gauges which ill get to soon.

Hopefully tonight I will have time to post some pics displaying the on-going project I have been working on. It essentially consists of constructing an access road (rip-rap, woven geo-textile, 1 1/4" crushed) to the backside of my barn. So that 6 months out of the year I can actually access the barn and the back pasture, ect.

Western Wa is so wet from Oct. to Apr. I finally had enough.

Still havent got to taking some photos of the project yet but I did pick up a new attachment last weekend from a gentlemen who lived up near lake tapps/enumclaw who was very friendly.

It is a 7' rear blade made by Kodiak....I don't know anything about the company but it seems to be a medium duty blade that seems to be well made.

I have read up on a landscape rake ect, and I think it would be a nice compliment to the blade.

Can a landscape rake in straight dirt collect all of my misc. rocks? Would that be a job that it is geared to perform?

Any knowledge as always is greatly appreciated.

/ New, Young, Uneducated owner of a 1969 JD 1020 diesel #30  
I regularly use my rake for sifting debris out of loose soil. There are better attachments but also more expensive.

I have taken every other tine out of my rake to dp this.