New twist on scams?

/ New twist on scams? #1  

turnkey4099

Elite Member
Got a call the other day - Credit card type touting their card. I listened long enough to realize it might be a scam. The "If you no longer want to get these calls, click 4". Uhuh suurree. Guess the "call this number" one isn't working to well any more.

/ New twist on scams? #2  
I have a F-O button I intend to rig up. Basically, if I see one of the suspect numbers appear on my business line, I hit that button. It answers the business line with your typical Bell System recording " The number you dialed is not in service, please hang up blah blah blah"

I'm curious if they will delete my number from their database.

/ New twist on scams? #3  
Not sure about that scam, but the one they are talking about in my local news is from local calls, and your own phone number. If you answer it, be sure to check your phone bill real careful, because that's all they need to put a charge on your bill. Used to be that they had to get you to respond to a question of some kind and then push a button. After you did this, you would be charged for agreeing to a monthly charge on something, and then when you protested it, they would either stop it from happening any more and keep what they already got from you, or they would argue with you saying that you agreed to this by pushing the button. So then you had to get the phone company involved and have them call up about the charge for you, and then they would play a recording of you agreeing to it, even if you didn't, the recording said you did. So then you had to cancel it, which might create another charge, or it might take a month or two to happen. Either way, you didn't get a refund because you agreed to it by pushing that button. I haven't heard that one in awhile, but it was real bad ten years ago.

/ New twist on scams? #4  
I have a F-O button I intend to rig up. Basically, if I see one of the suspect numbers appear on my business line, I hit that button. It answers the business line with your typical Bell System recording " The number you dialed is not in service, please hang up blah blah blah"

I'm curious if they will delete my number from their database.
Some will delete it eventually, others keep calling forever.
I have a PC based system with a blacklist that does essentially the same thing you have. I don't get as many calls now as I once did, but some of them never give up.

/ New twist on scams? #5  
I know that time is precious for telemarketers. It's why they are never on the line right away. They are dialing ten numbers at once. GOOGLE is the one that irritates me the most.

/ New twist on scams? #6  
Bah humbug - I have even a better answer. My only phone here is a cell phone. Land line run into my place would cost $30K+. My cell phone, at the best, will get two bars of reception. So....... my cell phone is ALWAYS off. I try to remember to turn it on in the evening to see if anybody left a message worth returning. It didn't take long for telemarketers to recognize my procedures. Now even the telemarketers don't leave messages for me - ha,ha,ha. When somebody says they want to call me I tell them to leave a message and I will get back to them. Definitely cuts down on the BS and wasted calls.

/ New twist on scams? #7  
We have cell phone only. We use "whitelist call blocker". No calls are accepted by the phone unless they are in the "contacts" directory. It completely stops solicitors.

/ New twist on scams? #8  
I know that time is precious for telemarketers. It's why they are never on the line right away. They are dialing ten numbers at once.
When I recognize a call is from a telemarketer i just set the phone down. That keeps their line tied up until they, or their rob-caller, realize no one is responding. It seems to be working, I'm getting fewer "important calls" as time goes on. Even if it's not working, it's keeping them from bugging someone else while they're spiel is being recited to an unattended receiver.

My favorite robocall is the one offering to restructure my $##,###.## (they somehow know the balance to the penny!) credit card debt. I don't own a credit card ;)

/ New twist on scams? #9  
I "HAD" them just about stopped.. My solution was to not answer the phone.. no answer=nobody there..
The other day the wife was home on account of the weather.. well she picked a 5:00 robo call..
NOW, EVERY DAY at 5:00 the phone rings.!!!!