New truck #@$%@#&

/ New truck #@$%@#& #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Now that I have everyone's attention!☺

Curious about other's opinion on trucks.
(I'm 65) I've had a truck except the last few years. I shouldn't have traded my '96 Chevy Cheyanne in about 2010...it had 36k miles, 350, manual, long bed, tow pkg. Otherwise "stripped" but how I ordered it. A farmer bought it within a few hours.
What I can't understand (don't want to make anyone mad)...but a truck should be a truck which you can't find much anymore.
I want 2 door, no carpet, a.c. is ok, vinyl bench seat.I don't even need radio.
Years ago all brands had their great models, and you could get full size or mini (4 cyl, fair mpg).
Around here every day you'll see one person driving a crew cab, tiny bed, all the frills, 4x4, tow pkg (never used), they're like $65-$80k. I can't understand. Why can't you buy a new stripped truck at a good price?

/ New truck #@$%@#& #2  
Try to get a "fleet" model. They usually have the cheapest package.

/ New truck #@$%@#& #3  
The dealers don't like to stock them because they don't make much money on them. Then they say "We never sell any like that."
It's almost and possibly impossible to find a manual shift pickup these days. You can still find them with vinyl seats and matts though, as that's what my company truck is. Buying at the end of the year can get you some good deals, and you may be "stuck with" a few extra bells and whistles for the lower price.

/ New truck #@$%@#& #4  
New truck #@$%@#&

Ford has a baby powerstroke coming out in a stripped fleet F150 vehicle, it’s not available to the general public unless in lariat or higher. I wouldn’t mind getting one.

I am like you, I like my truck just for truck things and to do truck things it’s kinda a waste to have all the bells and whistles.

I like A/C and maybe a AM/FM radio, outside of that power windows, rubber floors and a vinyl bench seat is fine by me.

My current truck is a 1995 F350 XL dually with a flatbed powered by a 460 v8.

I got tired of the 7-8mpgs and looked into a newer truck with better MPGs, what I found is unless I want to spend at least 20k I’m not gonna find much better than what I have.

Even Ford people say the superdutys are worlds better than the old trucks, the newer powerstrokes will blow doors off the old diesels etc, I think that’s just a lot of hype unless you plan to drag race with your truck and trailer. The new F250 6.7 is putting out 935 lbs of torq and 450hp but can tow 21,000lbs lol

My truck is 215hp, 390ft lb and can tow 12,000lbs and it’s a 1 ton.

So the newer trucks are way more capable, that’s all great if you have a CDL, a regular Joe can only tow 26,001 lbs combined on GVWRs, so my truck can pull a 16k trailer and that’s it, anything more and I’m illegal. The new F250 6.7 powerstroke also has a GVWR of 10,000lbs but can tow 21,000lbs conventional, something like 35,000lbs gooseneck.

I gave $1800 for my truck, I can easily tow 10k, not gonna be drag racing but I’ll get there, I can’t justify 30-80k price tag of a new F250. I can put a whole lot of gas in my truck before I will touch the price of a new one.

So I guess it all depends on what your deff of affordable is when it comes to trucks. A tricked out F150 can run 70k IMG_0486.JPG

/ New truck #@$%@#& #5  
It took me a day and a half, but, the salesman finally "remembered" he had this one,,

hFiOfmF.jpg

No rugs, bare bones, except for the snow plow package,, it even had the tires installed that everyone seems to want,,

It is easy to find in a parking lot!!

L7v3SGR.jpg

This is a bare bones truck, I was going to buy a white "service" truck, those are even hard to find.

They all have the same engine (except diesel), same transmission,,, etc.

I think my "Alaskan" package got me some sort of discount as the options came as a package.

We really like this truck, :thumbsup: I had a NBS 1999 2500,, I never thought anything could be better.
WOW, was I surprised.

In the end,, I paid almost exactly what I paid for the 1999,,, within a few hundred dollars,,,because the 2018 had 0% financing.
I felt that was the best I could do,,, :cool2:

So. I feel the bare bones truck can be purchased,

/ New truck #@$%@#& #6  
Around here every day you'll see one person driving a crew cab, tiny bed, all the frills, 4x4, tow pkg (never used), they're like $65-$80k. I can't understand. Why can't you buy a new stripped truck at a good price?

Years ago, you could buy a big 'luxury' sedan (with A/C and AM/FM 8-track!) with a huge trunk that would pull a boat. I remember my whole family (Grandparents, uncle, aunt, parents, 3 kids in various laps, 2 German shepherds between the legs of the back seat passengers, and a cat riding on the rear window deck) heading to our family's vacation home in a '71 Mercury Monterey that I'm pretty sure was <$10k brand new. Now a sedan is 5 people, max, and you're lucky to have any legroom in the back and enough room in the trunk for everyone's bags. Those short-bed trucks (and full-size SUVs) are basically the big sedans of the day.

I drive a '16 F-150 Platinum short-bed. I don't really need the passenger capacity on a daily basis, but a few times a year I do have to pack the family in (and most of the time, if it's just me, I'm on a motorcycle). When the weather is bad, or I need to get up the 300' unplowed driveway at the vacation home, it's nice to have a 4x4. I got the tow package because I occasionally need to tow a uhaul, and I have hopes of someday getting another boat (probably in the 24-27' range). The 5.5' bed is big enough for when I need to pick up 25 bags of lawn fertilizer or various supplies, I can still drop the tailgate and carry 4x8 sheets of plywood or sheet rock, but it's not completely unmanageable around my suburban neighborhood on a daily basis or occasionally back in NYC where my family still lives. I could've got a mid-range trim package, but because cars / trucks have always been a bit of a hobby, and I knew that this would be my only 4-wheel vehicle for awhile, I was willing to pay a bit more got the Platinum because I liked all the whiz-bang gadgets and wanted to pamper myself a bit (after a weekend of working around the vacation house, running the heated / massage seats on the way home Sunday night is niiiiice....). In short, my 'truck' is my commuter / daily driver, grocery getter, take the family to church, long-distance big-load hauler, bad-weather, all-around-do-anything-I-need-to-do vehicle. FWIW, the last truck I had was also loaded, and I sold it after 8 years for a little less than 1/2 of what I paid for it, so I think the high-end trims hold their value.

If, to you, a truck is just a tool, and you just need 4 wheels and the largest towing and hauling capacity available, that's fine, though I'll bet if you have a stripped-down truck there's at least one other car in the household. Those vehicles are out there (though A/C and radio are probably going to be standard, and you might have trouble finding a manual). They're probably out in the back lot, and not out front with all the higher-end models. Go to your favorite brand's website and play with the configuration tools and build the truck you want. Once done, there'll be a button to get quotes from your local dealer. (BTW, not sure what you mean as a 'good' price, but if you look up the vehicle you want on Cars.com, it will tell you if you're getting a deal that is better or worse than the average shopper.)

/ New truck #@$%@#& #7  
I hear you, had same issue. Wanted long bed two door work truck and back up for plowing snow. Could not find any good ones used, expensive and beat up. $25,000 for decent used ones and still had the typical GM issues with rusted fuel lines, power steering and trans cooler lines. That was if you could find it. I also wanted gas 2500HD. So, I built it. Bought used one with plow for $5,000, stripped it to the frame repainted replaced the rusted out parts. Bought another truck to get the bed off and other parts. Long and short, $16,000 into it, repainted nice looking truck, didn't rebuild any major components. did end up replacing t case. that is in the $16,000. don't know if it is going to prove to be worth it. time will tell.

/ New truck #@$%@#& #8  
Doc found a basic F150 in Farm Country... the Dealer said they keep them in stock because it is what the farmers buy here in Central California... it was pretty basic... rubber mat and roll up windows... it did have A/C and auto..

/ New truck #@$%@#& #9  
No new pickup truck has a cheap price tag today. But you don't have to pay 65 to 80 thousand for one either. You just have to plan ahead and order what you want. Not decide today that you want a new truck tomorrow purchased from a dealer's stock. Although there are exceptions as ultrarunner noted.

/ New truck #@$%@#& #10  
Now that I have everyone's attention!☺

Curious about other's opinion on trucks.
(I'm 65) I've had a truck except the last few years. I shouldn't have traded my '96 Chevy Cheyanne in about 2010...it had 36k miles, 350, manual, long bed, tow pkg. Otherwise "stripped" but how I ordered it. A farmer bought it within a few hours.
What I can't understand (don't want to make anyone mad)...but a truck should be a truck which you can't find much anymore.
I want 2 door, no carpet, a.c. is ok, vinyl bench seat.I don't even need radio.
Years ago all brands had their great models, and you could get full size or mini (4 cyl, fair mpg).
You realize that in the last 35 years they've worked the bugs out of power windows, FM radios, and even cloth seats. If you could accept these modern luxuries you could take your pick of 2 or 3 year old pickups cheaper than a stripped new one