New Truck Time - Suggestions.

/ New Truck Time - Suggestions. #1  

djefferis

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey/Kubota/Deere
Ok, I知 beginning to debate a new (or recent model used) truck. New job came with a company car - so I was able to ditch my car and the associated payment.

Right now I have a hand me down - it痴 a few years old, but as bare as possible - 2WD, AM/FM radio and auto and AC - that痴 it. No bluetooth, vinyl seat and carpet and crank windows and manual locks. Kinda get truck envy when checking out the new trucks has me wanting something more.....4WD is a must to me...2WD just gets stuck way too easily - Bluetooth is a pretty much must have too...hate jumping from my SUV into the truck and not being able to go hands free. Backup camera would be nice - but not a must have....beyond that my needs are met.

Now - need to figure out the best fit for my needs/budget. I壇 like to stay under 40k, 35 preferably...I understand brand loyalty is big with trucks - im not loyal, but like to avoid losing on resale so lean Toyota here...looked at 1794 editions and I壇 be looking at a 2013/2014 likely if I went to one of those trims....not opposed to used, but a SR5 new has all my must haves and gets me 0 miles and full warranty.

Also looking at domestics - traditionally I致e leaned Chevy, but the new ones are pretty 杜eh to me. Nothing special for the price...Dodge I know is rolling out new next year...but to me they are just ugly....I知 sure they are dealing on the 田lassics - but wary of buying end of a body style (resale). Finally, Ford...I値l admit I知 intrigued...for years I didn稚 like them...but the new design and engines have gotten my attention. Interior though just feels cheap to me until you got to the higher trims and again resale....traditionally they致e lagged.

So I知 stuck before I even start test driving...do I go with a used Tundra with all the bells and whistles or opt for a value pack....or stay loyal to a big 3 nameplate. Is a Tacoma worth considering - my truck is for play and hauling toys/tools - so trailering is a factor - pass gender hauling not so much.

/ New Truck Time - Suggestions. #2  
Bluetooth FM adapter: $12.35@ Walmart.

Seat covers are about $200

$40,000 invested?

$80,000 in 7 years.
$160,000 in 14 years.
$320,000 in 21 years.
$640,000 in 28 years....

:laughing:

/ New Truck Time - Suggestions.
And the point of the above post is ?...

A. I知 aware these items are available- but kind of missing some bigger items desired if I wanted to add to my existing vehicle..4x4 being a key

B. What investment are you using and what sort of guarantee does it hold. Double your money every 7 years would equate to what, a little under 10% compounded annually- not much guaranteed at those terms that I知 aware of...let痴 assume posters are not complete financial morons and aren稚 passing on basic finances in favor of luxury items eh.

Yes, I could keep investing and save every dime while enjoying none of it - but that痴 not my choice - if I needed financial planning advice, I know where to go and how to ask for it

/ New Truck Time - Suggestions. #4  
New is nice but all of the bells and whistles just add to the cost, without making it last one mile longer. Concentrate on what you need, and bank the money for all of the unnecessary accessories. If you're paying cash it's a little different; but borrowing money for toys and luxury items has never made sense to me.
My Ranger has cloth seats which are nice but hard to keep clean. My company truck has vinyl, which is handy after working outside in the rain or snow all day. Bluetooth is handy to see who is calling and how good the cell signal is; but I pull over to talk and have never learned to like the hands free.
4WD for me is a necessity, not an option; once you have it you will never go back.

What size truck you get depends on what you have for toys. My Ranger is a great hunting truck because it's lighter and more maneuverable than a full sized truck. (It was my compromise between a Wrangler and an F-250.) But I can use my company Sierra when I want something bigger. Both trucks get the same fuel economy.
One truck has cranks, the other has electric windows; as long as the glass goes up and down I don't really care how it does it.

I buy my trucks to use, not look at; so styling doesn't really come into play.

/ New Truck Time - Suggestions. #5  
Bluetooth FM adapter: $12.35@ Walmart.

Seat covers are about $200

$40,000 invested?

$80,000 in 7 years.
$160,000 in 14 years.
$320,000 in 21 years.
$640,000 in 28 years....

:laughing:

Practical but not near as much fun, especially since it's not my money.
My pickup was the last one I purchased when I was not retired.
Kind of fancy it's a Dodge RAM 1500 with the Big Horn package and the eco-diesel,
it is a nice riding fancy half ton with lots of room. It's also a truck that I bought an extended warrenty for because I don't really want to do a lot of work on it.
I'll swap the summer and winter tires, I do most of my oil changes, I'll do the brakes and other routine stuff but I don't care to be rebuilding engines or trannys any more if I can avoid it. Was it an expensive pickup? Yes it certainly was. I enjoy it.
Am I shorting my kids or family because of it? No.
Will my next one be as fancy? Hope so.
Most of my working life I bought used and rebuilt, repaired and made do, and that served me well at that time.

/ New Truck Time - Suggestions. #6  
My "grinch" thoughts. Why a truck? If it is not used to haul things or tow a trailer, you don't need a truck.

4x4? you say a 2x gets stuck to often? Have you actuallyi been in that situation? I have a 'wood hauler" - beat up 1989 2x F150. Have I been stuck? Yes, a couple time off road only.

My point is to take a step back and evaluation what you actually "need" to do what you need done. If only for transportation, it is not a 'need', but a 'want'.

Bottom lien is that trucks have gotten way out of line on cost to the point people who really need one, can't afford it. A whole ocean of money is beting spent on trucks that should have been put to better use.

/ New Truck Time - Suggestions. #7  
My point is to take a step back and evaluation what you actually "need" to do what you need done. If only for transportation, it is not a 'need', but a 'want'.
Bottom lien is that trucks have gotten way out of line on cost to the point people who really need one, can't afford it. A whole ocean of money is beting spent on trucks that should have been put to better use.
As I read it, this is the company the OP works for saying "pick out your new company vehicle" not the OP looking for a new personal vehicle.

Aaron Z

/ New Truck Time - Suggestions. #8  
And the point of the above post is ?...

The point is, I'm cheap. :laughing:

While I do enjoy the creature comforts of a new vehicle, I'm not going to pay $48,377 for a new one, which is the average transaction price for a full sized pickup truck these days. It's rediculous(as is my spelling). It's 48% more than what a truck cost 10 years ago.

I'd much rather find a solid older truck with low miles and spruce it up a bit. I think they look nicer, and I'm more likely to take an older truck off-road.

Full-size pickup prices soar, average buyers priced out

/ New Truck Time - Suggestions. #10  
Re: New Truck Time - Suggestions.Old but good but I prefer this.

Maybe one of these.Old but good but I prefer this..I fully agree with Moss,NEW cars/trucks are stupid high in price.My first house purchase in 1979 cost me $28,000 bucks.

Attachments

• DSCN0040.JPG
    DSCN0040.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 62