New Tractor Sales Are Declining

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / New Tractor Sales Are Declining #201  
If one has the funds and can wait, I think there will be some good deals on used equipment in the near future. At some point people will have to liquidate a lot of things just live. Sad but the way I see it coming.
I hope you are wrong, but fear you are right!

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #202  
And continuous improvement adds value which costs money and drives up costs.
Yes but with VW and Model T and Model A economies of scale reduced prices and in not by pennies but in some cases 50% or more.

I still have my Apple II from 1980 with floppies and Daisy LQ printer… the package cost nearly $4,000… just something to ponder…

Better doesn’t always equate with more expensive… just look at flat screens.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #203  
The Deming management method is all about making a better product more efficiently. There's a book called "The Reckoning" written by David Habersham about how the Japanese car industry started with a basic car design and then steadily improved it year after year leading to American car makers loosing a huge amount of market share because the Japanese got steadily better following the Deming method.
I have this book and found it a very good read and the highest award in Japan manufacturing is the Deming award and people made pilgrimages to his modest home just to be in his presence… should be a movie in their somewhere…

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #204  
Companies are led by stock price. Not engineers anymore. Look aT Boeing.

I still see quite a few truck loads of implements going down the highway

One article says doom and gloom. One right below it paints the opposite picture.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #205  
Well, I like my little B2620 I bought years back. Was cheap enough to pay cash, small enough to mow the finished lawns with, has built a mile of bush road and maintains my 21 acres.

But if I ever do need something heavier, I have the 55 Allis sitting here on display that can go to work any time.

And for 86 grand I can go to Mecum Auction and buy all kinds of big reliable old restored tractors before I ever spent that for a new emission motored machine.

Sure the new ones have all kinds of comfy fluff in the cab, but fluff doesn't do the work.
Fluff doesn't DO the work. It just makes doing it easier.
And for some of us oldtimers it makes the work possible.
(y)

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #206  
Only 88” wide!

I’m serious. I look at what you guys pay for a small new tractor and think you could buy a used dump truck, with a trailer and a back hoe or mini ex or farm tractor for the same price as a new small grand L with a loader.

I bought it in 2019. Back when the new normal hadn't kicked in yet.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #210  
I realize there is changes in the Canadian/US dollar exchange, etc.

But a coupe years ago I priced out a Grand L3560 with loader and blower and it was $50,000. It is now $86,000 and there have been ZERO changes or updates to that model.

So how do you justify that? Nothing more than a rip off. There is nothing that little 3560 has that makes it worth that much.

You would have hoped sales went down to bring prices back to reality, but people are more than happy to keep lining up to finance them. So they know they got us now.
Costs of production have increased but profit margin is the same

Status
Not open for further replies.