New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start
IDK if your aware of it or not but u have to pay attention which way the pistons go in..
Some will have an arrow on them, but u still have to know which way the arrow goes..
Also, mark your rod and rod caps 1/1, 2/2, 3/3..
U might wanna buy some “plasti-gauge”., to get the correct rod bearings..
(Google it)
Good luck
How do you typically keep things oriented do you mark with a punch with dots or ??

Any helpful tricks hints or tips at all are greatly appreciated.

I will google the plasti-gauge and I will also google the PFR injector pump I have you were explaining to me.

Also WHATS the consensus on a leak down test? Is this a kit I can rent from parts store also? If it’s necessary to be certain I will look into doing it
Thank you everyone for your knowledge, time and experience

Last edited:
   / New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #72  
Keep the pistons, rod caps, and rod bearing halves (if re-using) in exact same position and orientation as you removed them. You can use a permanent (not standard type) sharpie or a pin punch -just don't punch the bearing halves.

Ring compressors are fairly cheap and just need to adjust to the diameter of your piston and a little larger.

You may need a gizmo called a ridge reamer to scrape the bit of carbon deposit around the top of the bore to get the pistons popped out.

A ball hone for your cylinders is usually a good idea after they have been well cleaned, inspected, and measured. Check utube here

Compression rings may need to have end clearance adjusted. You put the ring in the bore without the piston and make sure it's parallel to the head gasket sealing surface (use the face of the piston to push it in a bit so it squares it up), then measure the gap between the ends of the ring using a feeler gauge. You may have to carefully file the ends to get that end gap in spec for you engine.

Rings go on the piston in a very specific order and orientation and the ring end gaps have to be clocked in a specific orientation relative to each other. The manual will specify all of this. If you don't have one I imagine one of the fine folks on here would share the relevant sections.

IMO a leak down test is helpful in certain situations but here you already will need to pull the pistons so I don't see how it will be that helpful here.

Also IMO at 1100 hours, I don't think plastigauge is going to be that helpful. It measures clearance between the rod journals on the crank and the rod bearings to determine if the rod journals are worn down to the point you need undersized (thicker) rod bearings. At 1100 hours this wear probably has not had time to occur unless the engine was run without oil or you have a spun rod bearing (unlikely) -it will be obvious and you have a bigger problem.

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start
I’m watching YouTube videos with my free time tonight and this weekend. Any good ones people would recommend let me know regarding measuring cylinder removal ring replacement etc

I had the same thought referring to leak down test maybe being un necessary, knowing I have blow by and almost for sure low compression. Will retest once I get another gauge

Shopping list below sufficient or too cheap?
3” cylinder?
Also is a ridge reamer the same as a cylinder hone??

Attachments

• ADBF012E-DF15-4D5C-A17C-C4CB59785669.png
    ADBF012E-DF15-4D5C-A17C-C4CB59785669.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • E1DDC7D4-8C5F-403C-8F65-424EEA32A600.png
    E1DDC7D4-8C5F-403C-8F65-424EEA32A600.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • CBF353F2-8008-48D2-8722-6B69DB5FDA35.png
    CBF353F2-8008-48D2-8722-6B69DB5FDA35.png
    574.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
   / New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #74  
Been following this thread. Have you drained the oil and checked for particles ? With as low of hours, you stated it has fuel in the lines , and clean intake. It’s sounding like someone ran it low on oil and smoked that engine maybe. Only way I see all cylinders being that bad.

As stated do a leak down test. Napa , harbor freight etc sell the kits. If it were me I’d be buying a bore scope off Amazon ( I paid $90 for one ) and looking in the glow plug holes if possible. I would drain and screen the oil. With low compression and possibly needing to remove pistons. I would just bite the bullet and pull the pan. I’d be curious to see if it was oil starved.

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #75  
I bought a very similar Ford tractor model under exactly the same circumstances. Turns out the Ford fuel flow lever at the filter in the motor compartment points 90 degrees off of the direction for flow. The fuel was shut off. 2 minutes after I paid the guy, I turned the valve and drove it onto the trailer. Only his wife was mad...

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #76  
Also is a ridge reamer the same as a cylinder hone??
No. Ball hone in 2nd pic OR stone type hone in 3rd pic. IMO ball hone is easier to use and less likely to take off too much material.

Example ridge reamer:

May want to look at the "deck height" spec for your engine before buying one though. If zero or close you don't need one

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #77  
I suggest rereading post # 72 daily until the job is done as a confidence builder. lol but 👍

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #78  
I bought a very similar Ford tractor model under exactly the same circumstances. Turns out the Ford fuel flow lever at the filter in the motor compartment points 90 degrees off of the direction for flow. The fuel was shut off. 2 minutes after I paid the guy, I turned the valve and drove it onto the trailer. Only his wife was mad...
1100 hours, something just isn't adding up (although the hours may not be real).

If you need a ridge reamer and new rings, then you likely will also need new pistons, and honing or boring the cylinders. A big top end job. I'm not saying that isn't the answer, but I wouldn't jump right to that conclusion.

If you go down that path, eventually you'll need to remove the head, and inspect the head, head gasket, valves, and cylinders.

On some vehicles, faults are also noted under the valve cover (tight tappets, bad valves, lifters, etc).

Like @zzvyb6, I just bought a non-running Landini at auction for literally pennies on the dollar. I'm still a bit annoyed. Somebody had cannibalized the battery, dip stick, fuel pump, and alternator. And it only starts with jumping the starter solenoid. The cannibalized fuel pump means the auction house had no chance of getting it started. And the value of the cannibalized parts wasn't that high, just annoying.

In my testing I found the fuel shutoff switch, I thought it was supposed to be parallel with the line, but nope... straight down at 90° from the line (probably my fault). In my case, it would start and run very well for 10 seconds then die. It became obvious when I pulled the fuel line from the fuel pump to the injection pump, and got inconsistent flow.

It also seems to have the shutoff solenoid on the injection pump intermittently working (need to listen for the click when I turn the key, otherwise it absolutely won't start). More diagnostics on that soon.

Thus, a combination of little faults sent the tractor to auction as non-running.

==============

Anyway, on @CalienteJohn's tractor, I'd go back and review all the simple things. Try a leak down test if you wish. Double check that the fuel, ignition circuit, and injection pump are all working. You can even pull an injector and watch it spray when you crank it over if you wish.

Don't believe every test result you see.

Does it sound reasonably normal with compression when cranking it over?

I usually run my glow plugs on my Ford for about 30 seconds. There is a little inline coil that is supposed to glow, but it broke in half, and half of it reconnected in 2008, and it only gives a dull glow after about 30 seconds.

My CAT... it has a little chart on it. But based on temperatures, glow plugs for about 60 seconds, 30 is definitely not enough.

Manual glow plug switch on the Ford and CAT, and I count to myself to 30 or 60.

If you have a place in the intake manifold that you can't melt, blow either a hot hair dryer or heat gun directly into the intake manifold when cranking it over and attempting to start it.

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #79  
1100 hours, something just isn't adding up (although the hours may not be real).

If you have a place in the intake manifold that you can't melt, blow either a hot hair dryer or heat gun directly into the intake manifold when cranking it over and attempting to start it.
I definitely agree that something isn’t adding up. Three sets of rings failing at the same time, with similar test results? What is the expected number 300ish, probably close enough to get it to puff.

/ New to me TC29D cranks & won’t start #80  
Been following this thread. Have you drained the oil and checked for particles ? With as low of hours, you stated it has fuel in the lines , and clean intake. It’s sounding like someone ran it low on oil and smoked that engine maybe. Only way I see all cylinders being that bad.

As stated do a leak down test. Napa , harbor freight etc sell the kits. If it were me I’d be buying a bore scope off Amazon ( I paid $90 for one ) and looking in the glow plug holes if possible. I would drain and screen the oil. With low compression and possibly needing to remove pistons. I would just bite the bullet and pull the pan. I’d be curious to see if it was oil starved.
Endoscope cameras can be a tad cheaper and always handy for something.