New to me JD 430, 60” deck…

/ New to me JD 430, 60” deck…
Welp, that was why I saw smoke coming out right side of tractor on start up😡. I’ll have to look to see if bracket still on tractor. Not gonna pay over $400 for new if any are left, so looks like either side panel or hood is getting a hole…at least my manifold pipe is in nice shape… part # for muffler is AM108237…

Attachments

• 9E22F584-E4DA-4C49-AFCB-C69C982A923E.jpeg
    9E22F584-E4DA-4C49-AFCB-C69C982A923E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
  • A2538A2C-8334-44EE-ADBA-B9680B830FB0.png
    A2538A2C-8334-44EE-ADBA-B9680B830FB0.png
    375.8 KB · Views: 87
Ahhh nuts. Looking for muffler and saw this. Said $359.10 or make offer, also had free shipping. I typed in $300 for offer figuring it’d be declined immediately or wait for counter offer. Well, it was accepted immediately 😮. Is this a decent aftermarket one?

Attachments

• 0E591CD7-D7DD-4F0E-9357-38040F8A4006.png
    0E591CD7-D7DD-4F0E-9357-38040F8A4006.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
   / New to me JD 430, 60” deck… #23  
I have found that one of the biggest factors in extending muffler life on my 430 is to keep the engine above an idle or point where the engine vibrates. Those little three cylinder Yanmars are good engines but vibrate a lot at low RPMs. After I figured that out, the present muffler on my 430 has over 500 hours on it and no signs of any cracks.
It is a piss poor design though.
My BX had the same problem with the air filter mount, bad design and mounting location, but after I welded it up the last time, and remember to keep the RPMs up where it doesn't vibrate so bad, it's gone over 150 hours and hasn't broken. If you let it idle at a low RPM, it shakes the snot out of it.

Took the rear fenders off. Found reason why my left rear tailight wasn’t working, the wire was broken. Got that fixed up. Gonna roll it outside next day or two and blow it off, and degrease it some more…

Drained the old diesel fuel out. Got a little over 3.5 gallons out, even though the fuel cap gauge was near the last mark :rolleyes: - I put that in my diesel VW Jetta(no sense of wasting it, and I'll get 45mpg off it:D). Rolled it outside, more air cleaning. I'll degrease and power wash again this week. Heard something rolling around in fuel tank after I took it off, so I tipped it and got the items out. It was a metal screen with some brittle tube on end, and another piece of brittle tube. I ended up taking the pickup/return line holder off tank. The end of return line looks like the screen has been off quite awhile, the pickup line was quite rusty, so I scraped it off, will clean it better with a wire brush later on. Looks like that sensor wire is real thin in 1 spot, thinking it's for the fuel level? The fuel cap gauge metal rails were also coated with rust, why would that form inside the tank with diesel? Gonna look for a sensor, but I think they are NLA from dealer. I'll probably get a new gauge cap, even though they don't read properly on the 430... the rabbit hole continues:LOL::LOL:...

IMG_0605.JPG
welp, this is where I ended up. Respraying panels/wheels/frame with the spray cans from dealer. Their paint seems to gloss up and harden pretty decently, just that if you don’t have a paint booth, it’s not perfect. So far, I have replaced left axle seal and bearing (old bearing still seemed good, but new bearing only about 9 bucks, so why not?)- replaced the leaking steering gearbox with a used one. Replaced tie rods with ones from Mcmaster Carr. Fixed the low level fuel in tank wire and re-attached screen with new tubing. New transmission sight tubing. New alternator belt. New engine oil and filter. New hydraulic oil and filter. New fuel filter. Mounted up the new V61 5 rib tires to the rims. Painted the Kubota rear rims with ag tires I bought for this tractor. I want to get this buttoned up within next few weeks and get the blower mounted back up….

IMG_0743.JPG
here’s a pic of it, tractor part finished. JD dealer spray paint. I added my NOS adjustable flip seat today, took the spring base one in picture off.Still haven’t decided if I’m gonna touch up snowthrower or mower deck yet Sent the 3 point hitch back.

/ New to me JD 430, 60” deck… #28  
Looking good!

/ New to me JD 430, 60” deck… #29  
What seat did you use? I looked on my JD dealer's website and an alternate seat was listed (a A & I Products A-TY15863, which I bought on Amazon. Unfortunately, it's enough thicker that there was only 2" between the seat and steering wheel. I couldn't get on the seat without swinging my leg over top of the steering wheel, and I'm much too old for that. So it went back. Yours looks like it fits well. Where did you get it, and are you happy with it so far?

Thanks

What seat did you use? I looked on my JD dealer's website and an alternate seat was listed (a A & I Products A-TY15863, which I bought on Amazon. Unfortunately, it's enough thicker that there was only 2" between the seat and steering wheel. I couldn't get on the seat without swinging my leg over top of the steering wheel, and I'm much too old for that. So it went back. Yours looks like it fits well. Where did you get it, and are you happy with it so far?

Thanks
I bought it from Hartville Hardware, same # as yours- TY15863, my packing slip says genuine JD OEM seat. It was a metal pan and had the proper Deere emblem embossed in the vinyl( landing one). I think it was $107.... this seat is close to steering wheel like the one I took off. I have to swing my leg high to clear, and steering wheel is still close to stomach, even with seat all the way back in slots. I'm looking at doing the Superstrut mod to get the seat back farther. These tractors were not made for comfort or convenience. I don't know how people can operate the loaders on these, they must have an extra arm or two.... if someone came up with a foot pedal conversion for the 430 that would be awesome....