New shop build, beginning stages with questions

/ New shop build, beginning stages with questions #11  
Hind sight is 20/20. I also paid cash for OUR shop.
keep in mind at some point either you or your kids will have to sell your property. In your kids case it will be to get you the better nursing home:) So, consider a separate meter. that way someone can run separate business out of the shop and write it off. (cleaner)
When we built our shop in someone said put a bathroom in it. that way you can run a business out of it with employee. At the time..... thought it was nuts. But we did it anyway.
Well stuff changes, I had to stop working for physical reason, started a business and next I know I had employees. Fortunately, I could depreciate the building and keep the employees out of the house.
Physically I am getting worse and my have to sell everything, too hard to take care of, real estate agent loves the place because a family owned business can down size and run there business out of here..... gets me that better nursing home:) we are not there yet, but we have the equity so we can pay cash for a nice house in town!
Just a thought.
PS
you can't beat working on warm concrete!
Example garage attached to the house that just stores the cars, could have skipped it. Down and dirty forced air would have been better. Because when you do not keep it that warm. you end up with moisture issues.

/ New shop build, beginning stages with questions #12  
We're currently building a house next to our shop. Floor heat including the one car garage.

Our buildings are sitting on the corner of our farm. Worst case the building site with a couple acres can be deeded separate from the farm and sold with minimal impact to the farm. That was a calculated decision in regards to build site.

Never, ever build a heated shop without a bathroom. Ever.

/ New shop build, beginning stages with questions #13  
It would be well worth your time and money to hire an engineer or find someone who understands beam design and for Petes sake, don't default to an online beam calculator, there is alot more that goes into it than that simple calculator will tell you. You may be quite surprised at how expensive that idea can be.

/ New shop build, beginning stages with questions
I am an engineer, but it's been a long time since statics class... believe me I'm not just going to slap something together, the chain hoist deal will probably take some time to do how I want... and the structural integrity of everything is why I'm asking if anyone has experience before I attempt to do the math... which is also why I'm tempted to just use an A frame and store it next to the 2 post lift when not in use...

Oh, thought I mentioned above, bathroom will be involved, there's only one in the house (1913 house) so yeah...

/ New shop build, beginning stages with questions #16  
Hopefully you'll keep us updated as the build progresses.

/ New shop build, beginning stages with questions #17  
Two things I learned from building my 40' x 60' shop:
You can never have too many lights.
You can never have too many electrical outlets.

I put 2-tube 8' fluorescent lights in mine spaced 4' apart. LEDs might be better, but my setup is BARELY adequate.
I also spaced my electrical outlets 10' apart. Six feet would be a LOT better.

Roll-up doors are absolutely wonderful. I placed 2 - 12'x12' and 1 - 10'x12' in mine, plus a walk-through. Roll-up's seal better and don't block your overhead light. I'm envious about your 2-post lift. My research however recommends the footing to be 6"-8". Five inch might be adequate for a 9,000# lift, but note - many pickups are over 7,000#. I wouldn't scrunch on the footings.

Not having any power restrictions, I went with a 200amp panel with a separate line going to the shop. Like money, MORE is better :)

/ New shop build, beginning stages with questions #18  
In 1872 sqft I have 36 4ft T5 LED bulbs. Very well lit.

I started with ballast driven T5 flourescents. Had to eliminate the ballasts and convert to LED. RFI prohibited my overhead door openers from functioning if lights were on
Had so much RF noise in the building that an FM radio would just roar with static..... i was very disappointed. Contacted Liftmaster and got nowhere. Their openers now function on 319mhz. Too close to my light frequency.

As for light difference, I didn't see any improvement. The light is slightly bluer. Probably operate cheaper.

/ New shop build, beginning stages with questions #19  
Never, ever build a heated shop without a bathroom. Ever.

Guilty.

As much as I wish I had running water and a bathroom at my shop.....it was cost prohibitive.

Add $20k for a septic system......and $10k for the water tap......and I just doubled the cost I built my 40x72 for. If I had the extra $30k for water/sewer.....I still probably wouldnt have spent the money on it. I probably would have doubled the size of the building:laughing:

/ New shop build, beginning stages with questions #20  
Guilty.

As much as I wish I had running water and a bathroom at my shop.....it was cost prohibitive.

Add $20k for a septic system......and $10k for the water tap......and I just doubled the cost I built my 40x72 for. If I had the extra $30k for water/sewer.....I still probably wouldnt have spent the money on it. I probably would have doubled the size of the building:laughing:

I'd have done the same thing in your shoes. I added $500 to the cost with my bathroom.