Buying Advice New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N)

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #1  

Stilgar762

Tractor
Ford 8n? or maybe a MS 35?
Hey all! First time tractor buyer here!

We had just moved back to Northern MN and bought a home with 60 acres. We plan to homestead it and get some small livestock going and some growing fields. It has some small (less then 2 acres) sections of old grown over fields. The property is mostly young but dense woods ground gets soft from heavy rain. Clay base under a couple feet of soil. Fields are on a bit higher more dry sections fo the property. A 1/4 mile driveway to plow and a bunch of wood to haul back to house for firewood. a ton of ATV trails to clean up and reclaim.

Unfortunately due to the previous owners age and health they had let the property go. I have looked at all sorts of tractors starting in the garden tractor then to mini tractors and was recommend to look into the old Ford 9N and similar series tractors. When I saw the first one I quickly remember my grandfather and friends dad having these! They don't break the bank and are small enough for me to get down the trails and are big enough to get the jobs done we need it seems. I also like the fact there are still parts available for them and they are very serviceable even right down to new cylinder sleeves.

The nice thing is I found old pictures of the POs around the property and they had one of these old tractors. The husband was old school and never threw anything away so in the woods I've already found a homemade front blade for "a" tractor. a 3 point set of forks, a 3 point Boom and some trailers. So I think the 9N/8N is the way to go.

I have researched this thing to death and feel I have a pretty good idea of what I am looking for and how to verify the models with the serial number and such. I am looking for any more info on stuff to look for when I go and check some out? Anything uniques like X years a had known leak here. or Y was known to be cracked here or whatever. Just any help so we don't get hosed on our first tractor.

We are willing to travel a ways to find what we are looking for. I know I would like to get one with at least a back blade.

This one here is one we are thinking about looking at. It looks clean. It has the 12 volt system, 4 like New Tires, back blade and Front Hydraulic pump for live power on loader. They are asking $4,000. I was going to contact the seller for more pics and info as they did not state the year.

00f0f_jFXPHa0gAx7_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg 00F0F_l9uyyg8D7Br_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #2  
Hey all! First time tractor buyer here!

We had just moved back to Northern MN and bought a home with 60 acres. We plan to homestead it and get some small livestock going and some growing fields. It has some small (less then 2 acres) sections of old grown over fields. The property is mostly young but dense woods ground gets soft from heavy rain. Clay base under a couple feet of soil. Fields are on a bit higher more dry sections fo the property. A 1/4 mile driveway to plow and a bunch of wood to haul back to house for firewood. a ton of ATV trails to clean up and reclaim.

Unfortunately due to the previous owners age and health they had let the property go. I have looked at all sorts of tractors starting in the garden tractor then to mini tractors and was recommend to look into the old Ford 9N and similar series tractors. When I saw the first one I quickly remember my grandfather and friends dad having these! They don't break the bank and are small enough for me to get down the trails and are big enough to get the jobs done we need it seems. I also like the fact there are still parts available for them and they are very serviceable even right down to new cylinder sleeves.

The nice thing is I found old pictures of the POs around the property and they had one of these old tractors. The husband was old school and never threw anything away so in the woods I've already found a homemade front blade for "a" tractor. a 3 point set of forks, a 3 point Boom and some trailers. So I think the 9N/8N is the way to go.

I have researched this thing to death and feel I have a pretty good idea of what I am looking for and how to verify the models with the serial number and such. I am looking for any more info on stuff to look for when I go and check some out? Anything uniques like X years a had known leak here. or Y was known to be cracked here or whatever. Just any help so we don't get hosed on our first tractor.

We are willing to travel a ways to find what we are looking for. I know I would like to get one with at least a back blade.

This one here is one we are thinking about looking at. It looks clean. It has the 12 volt system, 4 like New Tires, back blade and Front Hydraulic pump for live power on loader. They are asking $4,000. I was going to contact the seller for more pics and info as they did not state the year.

View attachment 687864 View attachment 687865

That is a clean looking 8N, but at $4,000 also is at the top of the price range.
If you load that bucket with anything heavy, and are in your soft wet ground, you will not be able to steer.
8N's do not have power steering!

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #3  
Old tractors are neat and you can get things done with them , But fried is right ,that loader is useless and 4 wheel drive is a must on small tractors. Spend a little more and get something newer and more capable especially with that much land. Good luck in your search.

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #4  
The old Ford tractors are kind of cool and easy to maintain but do have shortcomings. The 8N was an improved version of the 9N and the NAA was next in line with even more improvements. One might be nice for pulling a mower or trailer but you need to evaluate on what you plan to do with a tractor. An old Ferguson TE-200 would be cool, too. If you want an older work horse look into Massey Ferguson. If you opt for a newer import tractor avoid gray market - they can be hard to maintain due to low parts availability.

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N)
Not really interested in the front bucket. From what I was gathering that did seem at the top end of pricing so. I just like the idea of newer tires well maintained and the 12v conversion and at least a back blade. I cant think of anything I would need a bucket for. Pulling smaller a trailer like 8x12s or smaller is the plan. I also have found on the property a single blade moldboard plow (correct name?) that I swear is like horse pulled 1920s all steel and levers and gears everywhere! I also found and a 8ft wide disc harrow (single row style). I just got done talking with our neighbor and actually showed me some photos with them having a ford 9N along with a IH tricycle tractor. He said they made those trails and did the fields with both thos tractors so that helps reassure me in the choice. One reason for the 9 or 8N is budget we only have about $5,000 to work with. The average price I've been seeing them at is around $2,000-2,500 in not bad of shape. a couple of them at least come with a 6ft back blade.

I still have not found exactly what the improvements were on the 8N and Jubille from the 9N.

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N)
Attached is an image of the property. the area in the south east corner and the vertical stretch on the east line is where we planned on cultivating. The rest is thick woods with a bunch of ATV trail we need to mow, trim and brush cut back to reclaim.

Capture.JPG

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #7  
I ran a 9n when I was a kid working on a horse farm. It was 90% used for hauling manure, 10% raking rocks and smoothing pastures. They are solid machines.
Are you SURE you won't need a loader? IMHO a loader is the single most useful implement ever designed for a tractor.
Happy shopping!

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #8  
Hi, first tractor I ever operated when I was a teen was a 9n then an 8n I spread hundreds of yards of sand with them using a 5' backblade got pretty good at it (I think) easy to maneuver around trees I think they only weigh around #2500, Ran the 8n 10 hr days never a problem with it, engine was strong for backblade work, 9n a different story.. for your price point you might be able to find lower hour L series Kubota in the 80s open rops probably no fel but 4wd. A few years ago I picked up a L 4150 for around that price, beat to crap, but runs amazing and had a cab to safely give the kids rides, plus it gave me decent protection from falling trees limbs. I'm partial to older Kubota's, looks like an awesome piece of land to play around with. Good Luck!

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #9  
I ran a 9n when I was a kid working on a horse farm. It was 90% used for hauling manure, 10% raking rocks and smoothing pastures. They are solid machines.
Are you SURE you won't need a loader? IMHO a loader is the single most useful implement ever designed for a tractor.
Happy shopping!

Well said!

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #10  
The front end loader is more of a burden than an assistant. Supporting other nayers. The 8N was a 2 bottom moldboard plow workhorse with the very handy Ferguson 3 pt. lift in the rear. Made them useful for multiple tasks. Those tractors were built in the 1950 time line.........they are still popular. Around here, they pop up all the time in sales brochures and run around $1700-1900 with a mower. Take off the useless loader, and look at the cost of a blade....around $300-500, and unless that tractor has a complete restoration...including major engine and drivetrain work, as others have said.....it's too pricy. For that kind of money you can move up to a Ford 2000 or 3000 Diesel (preferred) which are more HP, may have power steering (very very desirable) and an 8 speed tranny with a Live PTO...all things you will appreciate..., in good working (not necessarily cosmetic) orderfor that $4k you are talking about. The Ford front ends of the day weren't made for that loader nor really for any loader....I had a 4000 with just such a loader and the front axle was turned upside down (made the tires at a funny angle) and right in the middle of the axle was a big weld....where it had broken under loader work. I had 3 Fords in my corral till last month when I traded in the 2000. Currently have a 3000 as I described, and an '88 3910.....my preferred brand of older tractor and has been for at least 30 years.