New Massey 1835M owner

/ New Massey 1835M owner #1  

Scott 728

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1835M
Good evening all!

So I have been a long time lurker here and this is my first post and I'm happy to be here!

As the title says, I just took delivery of a new MF 1835M Power Shuttle. I haven't even got to work the machine yet, just setting it up and getting ready. I traded in my 2005 1540 which was a fantastic Tractor. In 16 years of ownership I only replaced the water pump and a bevel gear seal on the front axle twice. It had almost exactly1200 hours on it.

The reason for my post is the new Tractor has the dreaded DPF and regen and I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice and talk me out of worrying so much about it. My old one was of course pre emissions, and I'm now worried about the vast possibility of issues. I know its too late now and I should have thought harder about it before hand. However, the whole reason for trading was I wanted the QA system that the 2005 didn't have being a pin on bucket. I wanted third function and grapple as well as pallet forks. I could have retrofitted the old 1540, but it would have been to the tune of $4000 grand or more once all was said and done with the attachments, third function, and loader adapters and such. This didn't seem to make as much sense as trading in after all was said and done left me with everything needed/wanted plus a brand new machine for $15k total. Plus, the 1835 is heavier, much better hydraulic flow and loader capabilities to boot which should help me out.

I know the new Tractor will have to be worked and ran hard to keep it and the emissions junk happy. I also am familiar with how things work and the importance of proper maintenance. If anyone has any advice I'd sure love to hear it. I love the Tractor and I'm probably being overboard with the worry I'm sure. I just hope this machine will be as reliable and worry free as the one it replaced and just trying to make myself feel better about it!

Thanks,

Scott

/ New Massey 1835M owner #3  
Scott 728 -- with 1200 hrs in 16 years you are, like me, not one of the heavy industrial users of tractors yet that is a good healthy usage on a tractor that will probably last you "forever." That puts many things in perspective including your dreaded DPF. There is strength in numbers' and many thousands of owners quite similar to yourself coping with the plague of DPF. It probably isn't too bad as the mfr has a huge vested interest in making it as painless as they possibly can within the government BS that has been heaped on them. At your usage rate the DPF cycles are not likely to be so often as to bother you all that much. I hope you have a good, cooperative dealer which is a major asset no matter what the topic is on your machine.
I think you will really enjoy the QA loader feature because it opens up the vast world of skid-steer stuff for future toys. I use a 4-in-1 pinch bucket, a grapple, and a Lane Shark front cutter all enabled by the skid-steer compatible QA on the loader.

/ New Massey 1835M owner #4  
I have not had any issues with the DPF, every 25 or 30 hrs. the light will come on, you can tell prior as I notice an odor and the engine sounds a little different, light comes on it goes in to auto regenerate, if I'm working it i just continue keeping the rpm over 1800, if I'm stoping I put the parking brake on leave it idle at 1800 and it continues on it's own when it gets close it rev's up a bit - the light goes out and it's done till the next time - no issues - simple operation - like you said keep the maintenance up - the first couple of times you will most likely worry about doing everything right etc, but it will do it without issue, I'm sure you will be pleased - enjoy the tractor....

/ New Massey 1835M owner
Thanks all!

I really like the tractor or I would have never taken the leap. Plus, I feel as though I got a really good deal on a new machine with 3rd function, pallet forks, and grapple bucket that I know will all come in handy and open new worlds of possibilities. I am probably also still suffering from letting that machine go that has served me so well and overall trouble free for so long. What can I say, I'm a sentimental guy. I did do my homework before hand and came to realize that this EPA mandated BS is now just part of the game we all must play by now. Thanks you all for the comment's and I'm looking forward to being a part of this community here!

/ New Massey 1835M owner #6  
Congrats on the new Tractor and welcome to TBN!

/ New Massey 1835M owner #7  
I have an 1835M cab version. I bought in in August. I'm at 60 hours or so and the REGEN thing hasn't even been noticable other than a yellow light flashing on occassionally. I took the advice of my dealer's tech and keep the RPMs up most of the time, regardless of what I'm doing and it has run like a champ.

My buddy right next door has a 1726e and it has no emissions equipment. I needed more power so I stepped it up a notch and am happy I did. Though I may be even more happy that I went with a cab version. lol

/ New Massey 1835M owner
I'm certainly glad to hear that Doug62. I'd of loved a cab, but for our use the added cost just couldn't be justified no matter how much I tried. I'm in West Central GA and ever since I purchased it the weather has been god awful, so not much use yet to even try it out good. I'm hopeful my experience will be just like yours. I'm still waiting on the 3rd function kit to come in and get it back over for install anyways. I hope it doesn't wind up like lots of parts availability right now and weeks before it gets here as I'm most excited about trying out the new grapple!

/ New Massey 1835M owner #9  
I'm certainly glad to hear that Doug62. I'd of loved a cab, but for our use the added cost just couldn't be justified no matter how much I tried. I'm in West Central GA and ever since I purchased it the weather has been god awful, so not much use yet to even try it out good. I'm hopeful my experience will be just like yours. I'm still waiting on the 3rd function kit to come in and get it back over for install anyways. I hope it doesn't wind up like lots of parts availability right now and weeks before it gets here as I'm most excited about trying out the new grapple!

My 3rd function kit should be installed now. I need to call the shop to see if it's done. The good thing about the cab is you can use it in pretty much any weather! It was more expensive for sure but this SC heat is brutal in July through most of October. Being on the coast, having an AC to cool down and pull the humidty out the air is worth it's weight in gold to me. lol

I ordered a Wicked 55 grapple from EA back mid January. I think there is about a 10 week lead time so I've still got a while but I wanted the tractor ready when it shows up! But working in the cab in the rain has been nice as well since it has rained more days than not this year already.

/ New Massey 1835M owner #10  
Try to keep out of dry grass when the regen is going on, ex gets mighty hot. Keep the rpm up to reduce the soot buildup. Enjoy the new tractor.