New Massey 1835M owner

/ New Massey 1835M owner #11  
In the process of ordering an 1835m with cab. Will be used primarily with a 6ft finish mower. Actually I am leaning toward the mid mower option.

Any opinion on if you think this is enough horsepower to run a 6ft finish mower with AC on and hydrostat transmission? It gets HOT down here in S. Louisiana!

I try to comfort my worries about the DPF by telling myself that I will be at sufficient RPM majority of the time to keep the PTO at 540 so it should be a non-issue.

/ New Massey 1835M owner #12  
In the process of ordering an 1835m with cab. Will be used primarily with a 6ft finish mower. Actually I am leaning toward the mid mower option.

Any opinion on if you think this is enough horsepower to run a 6ft finish mower with AC on and hydrostat transmission? It gets HOT down here in S. Louisiana!

I try to comfort my worries about the DPF by telling myself that I will be at sufficient RPM majority of the time to keep the PTO at 540 so it should be a non-issue.

Zakatak: I ran a JD4700 for years using a Landpride 6ft finish mower, 2672 I think, which I swear was more of a load than the 6ft MX6 bush hog. The 4700 was 48 horse and your 1835M I think is around 36 horse.

I think you will be fine most of the time and probably get loaded down some in very heavy grass. I made the mistake over the years trying to use the finish mower as a handy bush hog and I would NOT do that. Also, in my experience the finish mowers work best when the grass has not been let grow too high. I also run a couple of MMM on Kubotas and I feel the MMM do a better job than rear mounted finish mowers plus the maneuverability is WAY better.

/ New Massey 1835M owner #13  
Zakatak: I ran a JD4700 for years using a Landpride 6ft finish mower, 2672 I think, which I swear was more of a load than the 6ft MX6 bush hog. The 4700 was 48 horse and your 1835M I think is around 36 horse.

I think you will be fine most of the time and probably get loaded down some in very heavy grass. I made the mistake over the years trying to use the finish mower as a handy bush hog and I would NOT do that. Also, in my experience the finish mowers work best when the grass has not been let grow too high. I also run a couple of MMM on Kubotas and I feel the MMM do a better job than rear mounted finish mowers plus the maneuverability is WAY better.

JWR thank you for the information and quick response. We ran a 6ft woods RFM on an older Kubota L235 for years as our primary mower. It was underpowered but manageable as long as you could mow at least weekly. I just get a little nervous with power management on a smaller tractor with cab and AC, hydro, and the severe heat down here in the summer. My current mower is a cabbed jacobsen 5111 and it runs hot fairly easily in those conditions. Shame bc it is a great mower but having to stop for a cool down every 30min undermines its efficiencies.

It will be our first tractor with the hydro transmission but i think it is fit for purpose. As i stated its primary functions will be mowing, front loader work, and maintaining limestone driveways and parking lots.

/ New Massey 1835M owner #14  
I will say that my family has had issues on more than one Kubota running very hot (right near the red line) when using a 60" MMM on a 22 horse small BX2200. Outside air temp is a big factor. If it is over 90 degrees here in MD and you mow more than 20 minutes you will nearly redline the gauge every time. One of the BX2200s happened to be in Louisiana by the way and they had issues reported at 100 + degrees for sure. In my opinion the small Kubotas have plenty of radiator and plenty of fan with too small a water pump. [have been thru all the clean this and clean that advice...that is NOT the problem.] Have often wanted to see if a larger engine Kubota pump would fit.

You may have no such issue with the Massey (??) I'm betting you won't.

/ New Massey 1835M owner #15  
Just bought a 2860m , only got about 20 hrs on it I don’t think the occasional regen will be a big deal,we’ll have to wait and see,
Planning on mainly loader work and some hay production

/ New Massey 1835M owner

Well I can say that so far I absolutely love my 1835M. I'm at 14+- hours no and no regeneration so far, but I do keep it idled up and try to let it heat up good. I haven't ran a mower behind it yet, so can't comment on PTO power just yet, but springs just around the corner!
But I must ask, with your stated usage which is almost identical to mine, ( mowing, grapple, and maintaining driveways) why not go Power Shuttle? It'll gain you a few more horses at the PTO as well as save a little money to boot? Mine is the PS and it's very smooth!

/ New Massey 1835M owner #17  
Well I can say that so far I absolutely love my 1835M. I'm at 14+- hours no and no regeneration so far, but I do keep it idled up and try to let it heat up good. I haven't ran a mower behind it yet, so can't comment on PTO power just yet, but springs just around the corner!
But I must ask, with your stated usage which is almost identical to mine, ( mowing, grapple, and maintaining driveways) why not go Power Shuttle? It'll gain you a few more horses at the PTO as well as save a little money to boot? Mine is the PS and it's very smooth!
Scott,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your machine! I finally locked in my order and am hoping to be in the tractor sometime in April. Went with turf tires and MMM.

I did test drive a shuttle and its a nice system. We have one on our 95hp Kubota and that is actually the main reason I didn't go with a shuttle. We have that larger tractor for any ground engaging or heavy work. I opted for the hydrostat on this one for ease of mowing and loader work. Not to mention easier for my wife to drive if needed.

Do you notice the foot throttle to be in a bad position on the shuttle tractor? Too far to the right in my opinion. I am sure I would get used to it but my knee was hitting the bottom of the loader control trying to reach the pedal on the test drive.

I did debate on going with the 1840M for more power but couldn't justify the price difference for such marginal gains. (25.7hp to 27.9hp wasnt enough pto hp difference in my opinion)

/ New Massey 1835M owner #18  
The lack of photos in this thread is disappointing.

:whistle:

/ New Massey 1835M owner
Scott,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your machine! I finally locked in my order and am hoping to be in the tractor sometime in April. Went with turf tires and MMM.

I did test drive a shuttle and its a nice system. We have one on our 95hp Kubota and that is actually the main reason I didn't go with a shuttle. We have that larger tractor for any ground engaging or heavy work. I opted for the hydrostat on this one for ease of mowing and loader work. Not to mention easier for my wife to drive if needed.

Do you notice the foot throttle to be in a bad position on the shuttle tractor? Too far to the right in my opinion. I am sure I would get used to it but my knee was hitting the bottom of the loader control trying to reach the pedal on the test drive.

I did debate on going with the 1840M for more power but couldn't justify the price difference for such marginal gains. (25.7hp to 27.9hp wasnt enough pto hp difference in my opinion)

Absolutely on the foot throttle. I came out of a 2005 MF 1540 and the foot throttle on it was much better. As you said, its too far back on this one which I also believe is due to the fender mounted loader control. And I too was in the same situation on the 1840. My dealer doesn't even stock them due to the almost $3k difference for the exact same machine just with different ECM programming. I don't think I will miss the 2 more horses for what I do. The overall size and weight of the 1835 in quite a bit more than the 1540 also which should make it more stable and better at putting the power to the ground. I only run a 5ft rotary mower and 6ft finishing mower which it should handle just fine. I already widened the wheelbase front and rear to add to the stability due to having purchased a grapple and 3rd function (which I figure I saved on the 35hp vs. the 40hp). I hope you will be as pleased with yours as I am mine (so far anyway)!
And FWIW my BIL bought at the exact same time as I did and the exact same Tractor except he got the hydro open station also. And so far he loved his too. The hydro with the speed and sensitivity levels with 3 ranges is awful smooth and fun to operate. I hope I don't kick myself in the rear later on not going with it myself. My 1540 was a synchro shuttle and I've always had clutched tractors and just stuck with what I know. But it was a tough decision!