Buying Advice New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions?

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions?
Yes, I have one. I bought it this past summer - installed it myself. In general I like it. Like I mentioned, the adjustment of the boom relief valve made a big difference. From the factory, they were all set at around 3k psi. If you tried to set the boom at one position, and use the other functions to apply force (bucket when prying a rock or root, crowd when lifting, etc), the boom would drop. Bringing that boom relief up to 4k psi made it much stronger, as the boom will now lock into place much better.

Here's a picture lifting an old GM boiler. I would estimate this at 1200 pounds.View attachment 496424

jb1390,

Does your backhoe run off the rear remotes on the tractor? Or do you have dedicated lines for the backhoe that come from up front?

My past tractors, and TLBs, had dedicated lines from up front for the backhoe. I just talked with my dealer and the technician doing the job said some of them do need dedicated lines from up front. But on the 3550s they run right off the remotes.

He said they have a couple of customers who have them like that and they haven't had any problems and one, who he he knows, works the **** out of his.

The technician seems like he is a knowledgeable guy.

I figured I would ask someone else who owns one.

And anyone else out there own a 3550 or 5035 that has a backhoe and can tell me about how yours is hooked up?

Thanks for your time.

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions? #22  
jb1390,

Does your backhoe run off the rear remotes on the tractor? Or do you have dedicated lines for the backhoe that come from up front?

My past tractors, and TLBs, had dedicated lines from up front for the backhoe. I just talked with my dealer and the technician doing the job said some of them do need dedicated lines from up front. But on the 3550s they run right off the remotes.

He said they have a couple of customers who have them like that and they haven't had any problems and one, who he he knows, works the **** out of his.

The technician seems like he is a knowledgeable guy.

I figured I would ask someone else who owns one.

And anyone else out there own a 3550 or 5035 that has a backhoe and can tell me about how yours is hooked up?

Thanks for your time.

Mine runs off the rear remote. I was thinking of tapping off before there, but I have not noticed any issues running it off that remote. The fluid does not get hot, etc, so I don't see any reason to complicate it.

Mine runs off the rear remote. I was thinking of tapping off before there, but I have not noticed any issues running it off that remote. The fluid does not get hot, etc, so I don't see any reason to complicate it.

Great. Thank you. I typed out all of the concerns that you and others had and sent them in an e-mail to the dealer. The technician who is assigned to my tractor responded a couple days later. I was pretty happy with his response and thought it may interest you and any other 5035 or 3550 Mahindra owners. They seem like they are really trying to keep after things. Here are some answers he gave me:

1. The restrictor kit was not installed at the factory. I had one on hand, and installed the restrictor, so there should be no issues with overcooling. I have addressed this on several older models, so I was aware of this issue, and had restrictors on hand.

2. I checked the firmware version installed in the ECU, and it has been updated with the most recent version.

3. I am looking into the tilt steering foot pedal. due to the shrouds covering the column, I was unable to see if there is a stop welded to the pedal to stop excessive travel. I have contacted my service rep, and hope to have an answer on that by this afternoon.

4.The fuel cap is an updated design. The previous version had a softer rubber diaphragm that would swell, and restrict the air vent. I had run into that issue in the past, so I made sure to check the cap to make sure the seal wasn't swelled.

5. Lug nuts and loader frame bolts have been checked for proper torque. they will need to be rechecked at the 50 hour mark. We installed the backhoe frame, and made sure all bolts were properly installed and torqued. Also should be rechecked at 50 hours.

6. all fluids checked, and all fittings greased as per pre delivery inspection check.

7. Earlier models of the 3550/5035 had a recall on the main starter wiring whip. The new tractors have the new harness already installed. The other recall was the ECU reflash. That also has been addressed, and the most current version has been installed. No other recalls.

So. It sounds like they are on top of things. We will be finding out soon, I hope. They are hoping to get the tractor to me this afternoon. Yeah!

After reading a bunch here I decided to go with a 60" single lid grapple instead. It was half the price of a 72" double lid grapple I was going to get, and they had both in stock so it didn't matter to them. I used that money from the difference to buy three other things I really wanted. Heavy duty pallet forks, studded ice chains for the rear tires, and a three point quick hitch. Because I decided this at the last minute I'll have to wait a week on the ice chains, but I wanted all of those three things, so am glad about that!

Thank you again, and have a good one!

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions? #25  
Great. Thank you. I typed out all of the concerns that you and others had and sent them in an e-mail to the dealer. The technician who is assigned to my tractor responded a couple days later. I was pretty happy with his response and thought it may interest you and any other 5035 or 3550 Mahindra owners. They seem like they are really trying to keep after things. Here are some answers he gave me:

1. The restrictor kit was not installed at the factory. I had one on hand, and installed the restrictor, so there should be no issues with overcooling. I have addressed this on several older models, so I was aware of this issue, and had restrictors on hand.

2. I checked the firmware version installed in the ECU, and it has been updated with the most recent version.

3. I am looking into the tilt steering foot pedal. due to the shrouds covering the column, I was unable to see if there is a stop welded to the pedal to stop excessive travel. I have contacted my service rep, and hope to have an answer on that by this afternoon.

4.The fuel cap is an updated design. The previous version had a softer rubber diaphragm that would swell, and restrict the air vent. I had run into that issue in the past, so I made sure to check the cap to make sure the seal wasn't swelled.

5. Lug nuts and loader frame bolts have been checked for proper torque. they will need to be rechecked at the 50 hour mark. We installed the backhoe frame, and made sure all bolts were properly installed and torqued. Also should be rechecked at 50 hours.

6. all fluids checked, and all fittings greased as per pre delivery inspection check.

7. Earlier models of the 3550/5035 had a recall on the main starter wiring whip. The new tractors have the new harness already installed. The other recall was the ECU reflash. That also has been addressed, and the most current version has been installed. No other recalls.

So. It sounds like they are on top of things. We will be finding out soon, I hope. They are hoping to get the tractor to me this afternoon. Yeah!

After reading a bunch here I decided to go with a 60" single lid grapple instead. It was half the price of a 72" double lid grapple I was going to get, and they had both in stock so it didn't matter to them. I used that money from the difference to buy three other things I really wanted. Heavy duty pallet forks, studded ice chains for the rear tires, and a three point quick hitch. Because I decided this at the last minute I'll have to wait a week on the ice chains, but I wanted all of those three things, so am glad about that!

Thank you again, and have a good one!

All great answers - thanks for following up. On the foot pedal - I'm not aware if Mahindra has a "fix" for this, it's just something I came up with to prevent bending the cylinder (again). It's not hard to take the shroud off - just 3 bolts to access the pedal.

On the chains - for what it's worth, I don't think rear chains would be worth the hassle. I had rear chains on my old machine, which was only RWD, and they were very heavy and rode really rough. You only wanted to put them on and off once a year at most. I have front chains for my 3550, that I sometimes use. They are much easier to install and remove, and provide plenty of bite, plus they are cheaper. When I push snow with my machine, I prefer to not run any attachment on the back. I find it works best with no weight, the steering works better, and there is no need to have additional weight for pushing snow from what I've found.

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions? #26  
If I have a chance, I'll pop the cover off the backhoe and take a picture or two. Also, don't take the information I put in here as gospel - I'm going off of memory, so I'm not positive that one full turn = 500 PSI, that's just what I remember. You'll need a gauge installed, I can take a picture of the gauge setup too if I have a chance. Also don't trust that your valves were set the same from the factory as mine - you will need a gauge to be able to adjust it correctly. You can borrow mine if you want to drive to CT :)

Did you get a chance to take a picture of the adjustment valve?

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions? #27  
Did you get a chance to take a picture of the adjustment valve?

Not yet, I need to remove the shroud from the backhoe to get a picture of it - so it's a little more involved than just snapping a picture. I'll get a picture of the foot pedal stop too sometime when I'm in a shroud-removing mood.

Not yet, I need to remove the shroud from the backhoe to get a picture of it - so it's a little more involved than just snapping a picture. I'll get a picture of the foot pedal stop too sometime when I'm in a shroud-removing mood.

Thank you. I would like to see and learn how to do both of those things! Appreciated! No delivery yet!

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions? #29  
Hello all. I have ordered my new Mahindra 3550 HST. I have been reading here about Mahindra Tractors, looks like happy owners and some unhappy owners.

I am wondering if any of you would suggest a checklist, or something else, for me to go through with my dealer. I know some of the problems I have read about are making me a little concerned. But I plan on still purchasing and want to try to check on things at the dealership when all the pieces have arrived there. I have asked the owner to call me when all pieces are in and I would come over to see and inspect them all before they put things together. He said no problem. These folks have a good service reputation, and I have purchased other things here as well from Simplicity, Stihl and Husqvarna.

So here is what should be coming in over the next week or two.

3550 HST Tractor (Open Station)
3550L Loader
75B Backhoe
72" Double Piston Grapple
72" Medium Duty Rotary Cutter

Third Function Valve/controller ordered with the new tractor. (Are the newest ones installed at factory or dealership?)

Any suggestions and checklist items would be great. I appreciate it.

I had the dealer install triple rear hydraulic remotes on my 2008 Mahindra 5525 when I bought it. It's the dealer's design. Cost: $750.

Remotes 5525-1.JPGRemotes 5525-2.JPG

Six months later I had the skid steer quick attach option installed. Didn't think I'd need the SSQA until I started to build some implements that required it.

Good luck

jb1390. As far as the chains go I appreciate your advice. But I think I'm going to go with the rears. I only plan on putting them on once in the early winter and off once in the spring. I do no driving on any pavement. All of my driveways, parking areas, and roads are all stone or dirt. I really need chains. I have owned several machines over the last dozen years. (Usually buy low hour, used machines and sell them after a couple years and after a good amount of work done. Have made out well but am done with that.) I have had problems slip sliding around with every one of them. Even my last one, a JD 210C with loaded tires. Still slid around. Many of our areas get packed down and turn to ice. In addition to that, it is not only the moving of snow that I am concerned with. I do a lot of work in the winter time when there is no bugs and it's not too hot. Like it that way. So I do firewood processing for the next season, and now have a LOT of cleanup work in the woods after having them thinned out. Plus a lot of trail work. Moving dirt/fill to low areas in trails, etc. Tons of that over the coming years. So I don't want to put too much stress on the front mechanics of the tractor. Lifting heavy loads with the grapple or bucket and then moving them around with studded chains on the front tires.

Do you folks have your rear tires filled?