Buying Advice New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions?

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions? #1  

Gasifier

Gold Member
Tractor
2014 KUBOTA L45 T.L.B. SERIES W/3-PT
Hello all. I have ordered my new Mahindra 3550 HST. I have been reading here about Mahindra Tractors, looks like happy owners and some unhappy owners.

I am wondering if any of you would suggest a checklist, or something else, for me to go through with my dealer. I know some of the problems I have read about are making me a little concerned. But I plan on still purchasing and want to try to check on things at the dealership when all the pieces have arrived there. I have asked the owner to call me when all pieces are in and I would come over to see and inspect them all before they put things together. He said no problem. These folks have a good service reputation, and I have purchased other things here as well from Simplicity, Stihl and Husqvarna.

So here is what should be coming in over the next week or two.

3550 HST Tractor (Open Station)
3550L Loader
75B Backhoe
72" Double Piston Grapple
72" Medium Duty Rotary Cutter

Third Function Valve/controller ordered with the new tractor. (Are the newest ones installed at factory or dealership?)

Any suggestions and checklist items would be great. I appreciate it.

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions? #2  
Hello all. I have ordered my new Mahindra 3550 HST. I have been reading here about Mahindra Tractors, looks like happy owners and some unhappy owners.

I am wondering if any of you would suggest a checklist, or something else, for me to go through with my dealer. I know some of the problems I have read about are making me a little concerned. But I plan on still purchasing and want to try to check on things at the dealership when all the pieces have arrived there. I have asked the owner to call me when all pieces are in and I would come over to see and inspect them all before they put things together. He said no problem. These folks have a good service reputation, and I have purchased other things here as well from Simplicity, Stihl and Husqvarna.

3550L Loader
75B Backhoe

Third Function Valve/controller ordered with the new tractor. (Are the newest ones installed at factory or dealership?)

Double check the 3rd function valve. The Mahindra unit is a diverter valve which is fine in my opinion, but waaaaaay to much $$ from Mahindra. $1857 is just stupid expensive when it should be about $900-$1000 installed. I would stay away from a true 3rd function on that tractor if by chance the dealer is going with a 3rd party 3rd function. I had a customer that had a true 3rd function installed on his 3550 HST by his dealer and when ever he used it, it could be felt throughout the tractor. It really was a problem, we changed it out and over to a diverter 3rd function, or at least I provided parts to do the change over, if he actually ever did I do not know for sure.

What size buckets for the hoe? I would go with a 24" & 16" if it were me, but whatever suits you best.

Good luck with your new machine. :thumbsup:

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions?
Interesting MtnView. I am not sure if it's a true 3rd function or a diverter. I'll have to ask.

I asked for a 24" bucket. Wanted to have more capacity for dirt.

I hope the backhoe has enough strength for my liking. They came out with a 65B for the new ones. I didn't want it. Told my dealer if he couldn't find me one of the stronger ones I wasn't buying anything. Thankfully he found me a new 75B at another dealer and said he would go pick it up and bring it back. 8 hours away.

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions? #4  

3550L Loader
75B Backhoe

1. Make sure it has the restrictor installed in the EGR cooler bleed line so that it warms up properly. Should get to about the 2nd dot on the temp gauge.
2. There is new firmware for the ECU that eliminates the problem of going into limp mode from "fuel pressure relief valve" opening. Ensure it has the updated firmware.
3. The foot pedal for steering wheel tilt should have a stop welded to it, to prevent bending the piston from accidentally pushing too hard on the pedal. Mine has a stop now, it's on its 3rd piston. Maybe something that the dealer is willing to do for you, or something you can do yourself once you get it home.
4. The fuel tank will collapse itself due to a a vacuum if the cap is installed tightly. I don't have a great solution for this right now - besides leaving the cap a little loose. I slightly modified my tank to prevent this, but it weeps diesel fuel when it's full due to sloshing. I intend to install a tank vent hose with a fuel filter up under the hood, with enough hose that sloshing won't be an issue.

Mods:
1. Depending on what you're mowing, a skid plate underneath is a nice thing to have. I made one for mine, it attaches to tabs I welded on the backhoe/loader arms. I bent a few things before I had the plate, luckily nothing expensive.
2. A sun shade is a nice addition for protection from the sun and weather, and provides a nice place for mounting lights. The factory lighting is pretty terrible. I have lights on the side of the loader arms, as well as a light bar forward/backward on the sun shade.
3. I have a wr long valve on mine, I think it was about $1k installed. It's an electric/hydraulic setup, with a switch mounted in the loader joystick. It's pretty nice to operate.
4. Not sure if you were considering getting the tires loaded - Mine are not loaded, and I use the loader pretty heavily. I put a 2000 lb concrete block on the back for counterweight, which works pretty well. The backhoe can sometimes be a bit light if you're really pushing the loader, especially on hills. I often will extend the backhoe and swing it to one side to help provide stability, but the block is better. I like not having loaded tires when mowing and hauling on the trailer.
5. You will want to turn up the relief valve for the individual circuit for the boom on the backhoe. I have mine set to about 4000 psi. If you do not do this, the boom will drop when using the crowd or bucket functions, when trying to dig stumps or rocks, or when lifting. The main relief valve for all hydraulics into the backhoe was set from the factory at about 2800, I turned it up just slightly to 3000, to match the relief valve for the aux hydraulic valve. You will not be able to overpressurize the hydraulic system by adjusting the individual boom circuit - since the main pressure relief on the backhoe will protect the pump. All it does is lock the boom in place a bit better when using other functions. The lines are rated to 5k psi, I figured 4k was a decent set point - and I've been much happier with the performance after this adjustment.
6. I personally think a quick hitch is essential, and a hydraulic top link makes it that much better. The one from harbor freight is ok, though it requires a little bit of modification to get it onto the 3550 3 point hitch lower arms. Might not be important to you if you're not swapping 3 point hitch stuff a lot, but I move between implements pretty frequently.

If you have any questions on the machine, let me know.

One of these days I intend to start a thread with mods I've done to mine - and include pictures.

1. Make sure it has the restrictor installed in the EGR cooler bleed line so that it warms up properly. Should get to about the 2nd dot on the temp gauge.
2. There is new firmware for the ECU that eliminates the problem of going into limp mode from "fuel pressure relief valve" opening. Ensure it has the updated firmware.
3. The foot pedal for steering wheel tilt should have a stop welded to it, to prevent bending the piston from accidentally pushing too hard on the pedal. Mine has a stop now, it's on its 3rd piston. Maybe something that the dealer is willing to do for you, or something you can do yourself once you get it home.
4. The fuel tank will collapse itself due to a a vacuum if the cap is installed tightly. I don't have a great solution for this right now - besides leaving the cap a little loose. I slightly modified my tank to prevent this, but it weeps diesel fuel when it's full due to sloshing. I intend to install a tank vent hose with a fuel filter up under the hood, with enough hose that sloshing won't be an issue.

Mods:
1. Depending on what you're mowing, a skid plate underneath is a nice thing to have. I made one for mine, it attaches to tabs I welded on the backhoe/loader arms. I bent a few things before I had the plate, luckily nothing expensive.
2. A sun shade is a nice addition for protection from the sun and weather, and provides a nice place for mounting lights. The factory lighting is pretty terrible. I have lights on the side of the loader arms, as well as a light bar forward/backward on the sun shade.
3. I have a wr long valve on mine, I think it was about $1k installed. It's an electric/hydraulic setup, with a switch mounted in the loader joystick. It's pretty nice to operate.
4. Not sure if you were considering getting the tires loaded - Mine are not loaded, and I use the loader pretty heavily. I put a 2000 lb concrete block on the back for counterweight, which works pretty well. The backhoe can sometimes be a bit light if you're really pushing the loader, especially on hills. I often will extend the backhoe and swing it to one side to help provide stability, but the block is better. I like not having loaded tires when mowing and hauling on the trailer.
5. You will want to turn up the relief valve for the individual circuit for the boom on the backhoe. I have mine set to about 4000 psi. If you do not do this, the boom will drop when using the crowd or bucket functions, when trying to dig stumps or rocks, or when lifting. The main relief valve for all hydraulics into the backhoe was set from the factory at about 2800, I turned it up just slightly to 3000, to match the relief valve for the aux hydraulic valve. You will not be able to overpressurize the hydraulic system by adjusting the individual boom circuit - since the main pressure relief on the backhoe will protect the pump. All it does is lock the boom in place a bit better when using other functions. The lines are rated to 5k psi, I figured 4k was a decent set point - and I've been much happier with the performance after this adjustment.
6. I personally think a quick hitch is essential, and a hydraulic top link makes it that much better. The one from harbor freight is ok, though it requires a little bit of modification to get it onto the 3550 3 point hitch lower arms. Might not be important to you if you're not swapping 3 point hitch stuff a lot, but I move between implements pretty frequently.

If you have any questions on the machine, let me know.

One of these days I intend to start a thread with mods I've done to mine - and include pictures.

Whoa. Thank you jb1390! I will discuss these things with the dealer. I thought he told me that the over cooling issue had been resolved with a change in computer settings. ?

I will print this off and make sure we discuss these issues. I'll also make sure we run it there and see it heating up. How long does it take to heat up, and what RPM should I set it at to see it heating up?

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions? #6  
Whoa. Thank you jb1390! I will discuss these things with the dealer. I thought he told me that the over cooling issue had been resolved with a change in computer settings. ?

I will print this off and make sure we discuss these issues. I'll also make sure we run it there and see it heating up. How long does it take to heat up, and what RPM should I set it at to see it heating up?

I have not timed it - but I would estimate less than 10 minutes, under light use (driving around under partial throttle).

The 3550 cooling issue is/was not a computer setting. There are other models that do need to be calibrated, but for the 3550 without the restrictor, the coolant temperature is actually low when measured with a thermocouple in the radiator hose. I built a restrictor that fixed it in mine - I believe they were developing a kit, but haven't heard details on the resolution. I can send you some pictures of my restrictor, it's not too difficult to build if they don't have a kit yet.

I have not timed it - but I would estimate less than 10 minutes, under light use (driving around under partial throttle).

The 3550 cooling issue is/was not a computer setting. There are other models that do need to be calibrated, but for the 3550 without the restrictor, the coolant temperature is actually low when measured with a thermocouple in the radiator hose. I built a restrictor that fixed it in mine - I believe they were developing a kit, but haven't heard details on the resolution. I can send you some pictures of my restrictor, it's not too difficult to build if they don't have a kit yet.

Thank you very much. I will see when it gets here and I'll ask him about it and see if they know what I'm talking about or not.

Do you have the 75B backhoe? And how do you like it?

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions? #8  
Thank you very much. I will see when it gets here and I'll ask him about it and see if they know what I'm talking about or not.

Do you have the 75B backhoe? And how do you like it?

Yes, I have one. I bought it this past summer - installed it myself. In general I like it. Like I mentioned, the adjustment of the boom relief valve made a big difference. From the factory, they were all set at around 3k psi. If you tried to set the boom at one position, and use the other functions to apply force (bucket when prying a rock or root, crowd when lifting, etc), the boom would drop. Bringing that boom relief up to 4k psi made it much stronger, as the boom will now lock into place much better.

Here's a picture lifting an old GM boiler. I would estimate this at 1200 pounds. IMG_20161031_161515194.jpg

Nice! I wonder if they would know how to do that for me at the dealership. Not sure. They have only been selling Mahindras for a few years. And learning as they go.

/ New Mahindra Checklist/Suggestions? #10  
I would make sure the dealer checks for any recalls and takes care of them before delivery. I would also check to make sure the bolts and nuts are tightened, pins are in place fluid levels are full, and