New Kubota Tractor Purchase

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #81  
So why are you looking at the Grand and MX vs the M series? I just purchased a M7060 with 12 speed tranny for under 50K. Way more tractor than the MX series from what I remember anyways. I absolutely love it. Moving dirt today and have 10 hours on her now.

View attachment 777087

View attachment 777088
Wow! looks like it was a pitch black night - doesn't the tractor have lights?

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #82  
Maybe I missed it but what type of work do you plan to do with the tractor? Sure everyone that has a 30hp wishes they had a 50hp tractor so they could use some implement, and the 50hp guy wishes he had 75hp to do work a little faster. But what are you looking for other than 50hp?

Odly enough tractors were never designed to pick up large loads in a FEL, which is a reason why you need a large tractor to lift even a moderate load. If that is your primary concern, have you considered a skid steer?
Oddly enough, you've hit on 'the question' right off the bat!
For those who accept that Form Follows Function and the admonition to 'begin with the end in mind,' one should develop a list of (essential/required/intended) tasks, operations and activities to which this fifty thousand dollar 'investment' in a depreciable asset is to be applied.

After I bought a place with some acreage, the wife and I discussed the need for a van or pickup truck. Unbeknownst to me, she lost he company car on day and went out an bought a Tacoma the next. When she called to proudly tell me she'd gotten us a truck, I asked "How long is the bed? Does it have Cruise? Does it have postreaction or similar?

"I don't know, no, I don't know" came the responses - long after any option of getting something else had ended!

She was buying a truck for me - she intended to take over the sedan (it has cruise, FWD, etc. etc.) because "You needed a truck."

Ah, married life . . .

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #83  
become familiar with the HST Plus transmission, you will miss it once going back to the MX.
I have that and appreciate it.

Also have the PATS Quick Connect/Disconnect on my 3PT - no more bashed knuckles or lengthy change overs! Best $160 (Rural King) I've spent so far.

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #84  
Have a look at the Yanmar. I bought a brand new YT359C this year. 59hp. Amazing transmission and comes factory with two rear remotes and a 10 year powertrain warranty.

Take a look at Yanmar. 59hp, amazing transmission and a 10 year powertrain warranty.
Well, if they come with the beautiful barn . . . I'm in!

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #85  
Would there be many benefits to finding a good used tractor, maybe a 2011 or older, that doesn't use a computer or def?

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #86  
Have a look at the Yanmar. I bought a brand new YT359C this year. 59hp. Amazing transmission and comes factory with two rear remotes and a 10 year powertrain warranty.

Take a look at Yanmar. 59hp, amazing transmission and a 10 year powertrain warranty.
Nice tractor. How much did you pay for your Yanmar?

Did you figure out the power steering issue at idle?

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #87  
A lot of good information and that gave me plenty to think about. I appreciate everyone's input. After reading all the comments, I sat down and went though how I would likely use the tractor and how much HP I would actually need. As someone noted, guys with 30 hp tractors always wish they had a 50 hp, and 50 hp guys wish they had a 100 hp tractor. Another point someone mentioned, would a turbocharger be the best for my application? I would say no, I would prefer normally aspirated. I'm just not a fan of the added complexity of a turbocharger.

Weighing it all out, a 30+/- hp will likely be enough for what I need to do, mainly homeowner/hobby farm applications and some light material moving. Thinking back to my previous experience. I was quite satisfied with my L3430. It did everything I asked from it 95% of the time. Except for a few rare times the front end loader couldn't lift the load for stuff such as bulk bags of mulch on a pallet, my 3 point forks typically lifted what the front end loader couldn't, after I filled up the front bucket to balance the load.

Clearly, some of you use your tractor much more than I would, and for far more demanding applications. As an example, I had my L3430 for about 10 years, total use was 365 hours when it was sold. My use should be about the same. I'm not plowing fields or doing other heavy PTO work, likely using only a rotary cutter with the PTO will be about it. The one item I used the most on the tractor, was the FEL with a grapple for moving trees and brush.

I returned to the dealer today. I looked at everything he has in stock in a cab. He had both MX5200 and MX6000, M4, M7 and larger, and he had one remaining 2022 Grand L 3560 Limited Edition. Ultimately, I settled on the Grand L3560 Limited Edition, I added the front and rear remotes I wanted, mirrors, front and rear work lights, loaded/R4 tires, the LA-805 loader + bucket, and a Land Pride grapple. The cost came in just under budget.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Congrats on a deluxe tractor.

You did a good job at figuring out the right size you need.

Interesting that you bought almost the same size and style you had previously.

Last edited:
   / New Kubota Tractor Purchase #88  
Our M59 has 1200 hours, OK maintenance, nothing special. It is now 15 years old. It lives outside - tarped. That's as close to 100 hrs a year as makes no difference.

So we don't put a lot of hours on it, but when it works it works hard. Not unusual for it to idle for an hour or more while we do chores and then use it full throttle like a rough country dump truck delivering 3000 lbs of rocks in the FEL bucket two miles away. We use it in the creek and forest for some rugged work. It runs and works like new. Yes, it was expensive. Even back in 2007 it cost more than comparable HP Kubotas do today. I guess the cost is the TLB vs Tractor thing.

I'll be curious to see if the next 1200 hrs goes as well as the last. Don't see why not. At that point the M59 will be 30 and I will be ... good god!

Was just looking at the Kubota brochure -online showing those new M7060s. Wow! What a nice tractor that is! I don't blame you a bit for jumping on it. Love that tranny, too. Seems like a whole lot of machine for a very reasonable price.
rScotty

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers
I think you did well. I went from an L3710 to a L5740 to a L6060. The Grand L's were always great, with the step from the L5740 to the L6060 being my best upgrade. Now my needs have outgrown the L6060 which didn't match well with my M7-171. It couldn't handle some of the haying jobs I have while the M7 was overkill, bought primarily for my grain business. So a year ago I traded the L6060 for a M5-111. The M5 is a great tractor for the haying jobs but at my age, shifting gears is a pain. The M7 with KVT is like the L6060 - no gear shifting from 0 to 31 mph. The Grand L electric range shift just like my SVL75-2 CTL. If it wasn't for the SVL75-2, the M5 would have been an addition, not a trade, but the CTL can do so many of the things that I used a compact tractor - except PTO work. The rotary cutter and roto-tiller sized for my Grand L's are little toys attached to the M5 - but they do the job.

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #89  
Hi All,

I'm in a position where I need a tractor again to use on some acreage I've acquired. Previously, I owned a Kubota Grand L Cab Tractor 34hp (L3430). I purchased that one new around 2005 and sold it in 2018, when I moved from my previous home that had acreage. I learned a few lessons with that ownership, one is to get 50hp or bigger, that seems to be the cut off for some implements, and I always wished for greater capacity on the FEL.

I visited my two local Kubota dealers, interested in the current Grand L60 series. Basically, what I had before, but with a larger engine. However, the sales reps were really steering me towards the MX series with a Cab rather than the L. Oddly, they mentioned the MX is heavier and larger (longer and wider) than the L, but the published specs don't support that. Perhaps they were speaking cab vs non cab?

I compared the specs. It seems like a tradeoff, more FEL capacity with the MX, but less three point capacity than the L. Price is around 50K for the MX5400 with Cab and FEL, standard bucket, maybe 2K more for the MX6000. We didn't get into pricing for a Grand L60, but I'm sure the cost is substantially higher.

I've been away from any land work and Kubota for years, and haven't really kept up with the good and bad regarding Kubota's current production. Still trying to figure out what I would miss with the Grand L60 vs the MX6000.

Thoughts?
I think the biggest reason to get the grand l would be if you are going hydro transmission I have a 4740 and the basically 6 ranges is great

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #90  
I think the biggest reason to get the grand l would be if you are going hydro transmission I have a 4740 and the basically 6 ranges is great
I guess I’m blissfully ignorant of the need for 6 ranges. I’ve been able to do anything I need with 3.