New BBQ pit in the making

/ New BBQ pit in the making #21  
We do occasional cook in the ground, but now days there is a difference between, grilling, bbq, and smoking.

I understand all that, but it just seemed so strange to me to talk of putting a pit (big hole in the ground) on a trailer. :)

Bruce

/ New BBQ pit in the making
I understand all that, but it just seemed so strange to me to talk of putting a pit (big hole in the ground) on a trailer. :)

Bruce

Now I see what you meant.

/ New BBQ pit in the making #23  
Must be regional differences. All the BBQ pits I knew were holes in the ground. Fill it with wood, burn to coals, then either (A) put in wrapped meat, cover with dirt, cook, or (B) put a grill over the pit and meat on grill. If it was all above ground it was just a BBQ.

View attachment 533384 View attachment 533385 View attachment 533386

All the photos I found were B&W. I must be old.

Bruce
You must have seen a lot of clothing style changes up to now if you recall those days. :D

/ New BBQ pit in the making #24  
I must have been on the tail end of real pit barbecuing. What was common after that were the large masonry ones in the backyard. Then the modern portable style, with larger ones on trailers. But I never heard any called "pits" except the true pits.

Having a barbecue was a weekend process. Several of the men dug the pit while others collected firewood. The next morning the fire was started and let burn to coals. Then the meat was buried or grilled.

Bruce

/ New BBQ pit in the making #25  
Nice find on the pipe, I'm sure you already know this but make sure you get the weight of the completed pit balanced before you weld the axle or axles on. A buddy of mine actually bought a so called professionally made pit twin axle 40" x 96" pipe with a ac/dc powered rotisserie inside it, two holding ovens, 3'x 5' grill, pellet cooker, water heater and a three bay sink, we used to compete on the bbq circuit. :) Anyways he had a 3/4 ton Ford Excursion with a turbo diesel in and when we went to pick it up it dropped the back of his rig bigtime, that was quite a few years ago but I'm pretty sure both axles had to be moved forward quite a bit which still left him with plenty of tongue weight. That rig was a beast, If memory serves it weighed in at well over 4 tons. He ended up having one of those folding metal roofs installed on after he had awhile to keep the sun and or rain off our backs, sure was a blast to use. We had a open house for our daughter and he brought it over and we cooked 1000 chicken wings, 600 shish kabobs, briskets and butts, it was quite a party! I can't wait until you get that bad boy done!! Better plan on at least hour for it to stabilize with 1/2" tube but once it does it should flat line nicely after you load it.

Pete

Nice find on the pipe, I'm sure you already know this but make sure you get the weight of the completed pit balanced before you weld the axle or axles on. A buddy of mine actually bought a so called professionally made pit twin axle 40" x 96" pipe with a ac/dc powered rotisserie inside it, two holding ovens, 3'x 5' grill, pellet cooker, water heater and a three bay sink, we used to compete on the bbq circuit. :) Anyways he had a 3/4 ton Ford Excursion with a turbo diesel in and when we went to pick it up it dropped the back of his rig bigtime, that was quite a few years ago but I'm pretty sure both axles had to be moved forward quite a bit which still left him with plenty of tongue weight. That rig was a beast, If memory serves it weighed in at well over 4 tons. He ended up having one of those folding metal roofs installed on after he had awhile to keep the sun and or rain off our backs, sure was a blast to use. We had a open house for our daughter and he brought it over and we cooked 1000 chicken wings, 600 shish kabobs, briskets and butts, it was quite a party! I can't wait until you get that bad boy done!! Better plan on at least hour for it to stabilize with 1/2" tube but once it does it should flat line nicely after you load it.

Pete

Thanx. I havent even started clearing the 800 feet of fence I have to put up before I can start this. Just sucks. We butchered some of our farm raised hogs and I started to make links when I realized the old smoker went to crap and I havent started the new one. Gonna be lots of pan sausage now.

/ New BBQ pit in the making #27  
Oh well, gives ya some incentive on that fence! lol Even you have a small charcoal grill you could cook indirect and end up with the tasty links or what ever else for that matter.. :)

/ New BBQ pit in the making #28  
I'd like to find some pipe like that! Looking forward to see what you come up with, I'm a fan of home made wood fired cookers of all kinds!

Oh well, gives ya some incentive on that fence! lol Even you have a small charcoal grill you could cook indirect and end up with the tasty links or what ever else for that matter.. :)

I am looking forward to getting that fence done to start this project. My cousin came over and started cutting some trees down last weekend. This weekend will be more trees and clearing the out of the way. Goal is to have smoker functional for Easter. Probably not finished, but usable.

I'd like to find some pipe like that! Looking forward to see what you come up with, I'm a fan of home made wood fired cookers of all kinds!

Dumb luck when I ran in to this pipe. Price I paid will make you sick.