Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #91  
Unfortunately it doesn't appear to me that the neighbor's behavior and litigious nature is going to change. The farmer wife's opinion is very telling.
There has to be intolerable consequences to change a substandard person's behavior..

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #93  
I’d spread it on neighbors lawns.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #94  
We had a similar thing happen here a few years back actually several times. People move in next to farms and complain about stinky stuff. Racetracks there since the beginning of racing have people move in and complain about noises. If your attorney is worth his salt there’s a lot of cases on record out there thrown out without going to court based on what people should have had common sense to know when they moved in next to a farm.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #95  
5 years pass, no issues, we think its smooth sailing. We have been rotating the manure pile to different spots, usually keeping it covered with some light straw, but we are constantly using and pushing the pile back..

2022, we decide to close down the boarding business since we had some people running the barn and it was to much work for me and my wife since we both work other full time jobs. The number of horses on the property drops from like 22-25 to 9, then 8 then 7 and now we are at 6 horses plus a mini. The manure pile sits for like a year without having to add to it or anything since we have less horses and we can spread or the horses are in the pasture.
Im at a loss here. You say you were using the manure but you also say you were just moving it around and pushing it up. It was never composted or disposed of in all those yeras?

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #96  
We had a similar thing happen here a few years back actually several times. People move in next to farms and complain about stinky stuff. Racetracks there since the beginning of racing have people move in and complain about noises. If your attorney is worth his salt there’s a lot of cases on record out there thrown out without going to court based on what people should have had common sense to know when they moved in next to a farm.
Farmers also have a responsibility to be a good steward of the land. We do have a right to enjoy and use our own land, however thats not a carte blanche to do anything and everything we want. (trash dumping, hauling out sand /gravel, running a commercial operation, etc.)

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #97  
Farmers also have a responsibility to be a good steward of the land. We do have a right to enjoy and use our own land, however thats not a carte blanche to do anything and everything we want. (trash dumping, hauling out sand /gravel, running a commercial operation, etc.)
For most farmers, farming is a commercial operation.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #98  
I don’t think my post reflects anything you refer to but thanks for pointing that out.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #99  
For most farmers, farming is a commercial operation.
yep, but running a trucking company, excavation business, school buses, horse lesson barn, firewood processing and others may not be compliant with local ordinances.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #100  
yep, but running a trucking company, excavation business, school buses, horse lesson barn and others may not be compliant with local ordinances.
Well then local "ordinances" be damned, just busy body do gooders shoving their nose where it doesn't belong.
As has been said once that camel shoves his nose under the tent, the sh it show is about to begin.