Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #182  
Pet horse "farms"?

Horses can be a hobby or a business. I never really heard someone claim a horse as a pet.

Farms around here are zoned ag. Usually a business venture.

Our county had to amen the ag exemption because too many people with the minimum 10 acres for cauv were buying a horse or 2 and claiming they had a farm. Now it’s required to provide proof of agricultural income for the exemption

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #183  
The noise will go well with the smell ! Roosters, donkeys, pigs with their metal feed boxes, lots of good ideas ! Then when they put their place up for sale, post it here. Anyone on TBN would make a better neighbor !

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #184  
Our county had to amen the ag exemption because too many people with the minimum 10 acres for cauv were buying a horse or 2 and claiming they had a farm. Now it’s required to provide proof of agricultural income for the exemption
Income or revenue? A lot of real farmers show little or no income, but they sell products and take in revenue.

I don't think counties in Texas can make that big of a change in the law. Here you have to show production. For most counties, horse production means foals.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #185  
Income or revenue? A lot of real farmers show little or no income, but they sell products and take in revenue.

I don't think counties in Texas can make that big of a change in the law. Here you have to show production. For most counties, horse production means foals.

Huge commercial properties with fortune 100 companies that I work on will have ag exemption claims for any of the acreage without buildings on them yet.

If the land is open, it will be hay
If the land has woods it will be bees

Property valued well over $1M/acre in the middle of a city, with property taxes less than $100/acre. Crazy to me.

But I think ag exemptions in general are over reaching. I don’t blame the huge companies for taking advantage of the tax law one bit.

Last edited:
   / Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #186  
Yeah. Last I heard here...they want 20 acres and ag proof of income. The 20 is going through the appeals zoning processes. Our big deal is pitting old farmers against old money.