Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #51  
You are assuming he wants to get rid of his horses.

Not at all, he just needs a plan to get rid of his manure. I would put an ad on FB or CL. I have searched for manure on those sites and couldn't find any near me.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #52  
Here is an add on FB marketplace

Free Delivery on horse manure in about a 15-20 minute radius from Magnetic Springs, OH 43036. Much further than that and we'll have to discuss hauling fees. Please use Google maps to get an idea of how far you are from me. Mix of straw, hay, and manure. The mixture depends on the week. Sometimes it's mostly straw, other times it mostly manure. I dump usually once per week, but sometimes it may be 2 or 3 times. If you want to pick some up you can, but you will have to schedule at least a day in advance. If you want to drop a trailer off for me to load until it is full I would be more than happy to do so. A load would be around 15 cubic yards, or about 7,000 pounds. Free delivery is based on full loads. Partial loads may require delivery charge. I typically dump on weekends but week days are not off the table. I also usually dump in the afternoon or evening. I'll have a full load at least once a week so if you don't get it first I'm sure there will be more. First come first serve.I will be in a truck and 14 foot dump trailer so I will not be able to get in to tight spaces. If you have any questions, send a message.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #53  
This whole thing sounds like neighbors from hell. I would make sure they have something else to complain about after this was all over.
I heard of a similar situation years ago and the a hole neighbor got got his well chit in. You reap what you sow.
Most places I know of have "right to farm" laws to protect these activities from the chitty people that move to the country.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #54  
IF the OP is providing FREE aged horse manure to other locals he should put up some signage asking people to sign a petition. Something to the effect of help keep this source of fertilizer flowing. Maybe ask for donations for legal fees to keep the horse manure flowing.
Try and get some testimonials from the close neighbors that know the site has been about the same for 30 years.
I worked as a stable boy at a horse riding summer camp in the 60's. Properly maintained manure piles shouldn't be a hassle.
People that move into areas should accept what they moved into.
if I paid $5k to $7k upfront followed by $400 per hour until case settled.
And don't worry about your $15K. A lawyer can bill 2 hours a month just for sending you a bill that he is billing you 2 hours a month. It can be spent quickly.

/edit and definitely think of countersuing including all legal fees, stress, the Canadian smoke etc.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #55  
People like that are a pain. We have 14 acres and 2 horses. Luckily everyone around us has horses or cows or both. We tried the dumpster method, got too expensive. We now have one 2-3 acre pasture that we spread out manure as needed. We use 6 muck buckets to store the manure at the barn. When they are full, I load up the Loyal spreader and drive once around the pasture to empty it. I vary my path so it doesn't build up. It makes for nice grass in that pasture and rarely can you smell it.

20190302_124554.jpg

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #56  
To prove that the piles were there can't you get the guy that
came out to check on the complaint of the stink verify that the
piles in fact were present??

willy

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #57  
This one is easy. Is your land fenced to the point where your dogs can't wonder off your property?

We have no leesh laws in our own county. Either we are outside with the dogs or the dogs go into a fenced in area.

We only have 40 acres, but our dogs don't wonder onto other peoples property.
I am working very hard on building a woven wire fence to enclose 10 acres of my property. The landowners are never there and have hardly been there the 25 years they have owned the place. Anytime they are around I keep my dogs contained.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #58  
I am working very hard on building a woven wire fence to enclose 10 acres of my property. The landowners are never there and have hardly been there the 25 years they have owned the place. Anytime they are around I keep my dogs contained.
From my experience with dogs who aren't on a lead, they don't know boundaries unless their "masters" are with them and they are somewhat trained. If they go on one neighbors property roaming, they can go on anyones property given enough time.

Don't get me wrong, you'll always have that exceptional dog who never leaves sight of their "home", but even then, "nature" can kick in and off they go be it a running rabbit or other 4 legged creature, or they aren't spayed or nurtured.

I just live in a rual county where for whatever reason, people who own dogs don't either fence them in or watch them, and they're roaming all over the place.

I have a blue tick hound that when we first came to us you had to watch him like a hawk or off driving around roads I went looking for him. He use to drive us up the wall because he'd be good at being outside, then, you take your eyes off of him for 5 minutes and I'd bet getting a call from my neighbor telling me she had seem him running across the field in her backyard across the street. He would always be wearing the training collar LOL This guy is now one of the older ones in our home, and his running days are expired, and we never have to worry about him wondering around because he finally realizes how good he has it LOL

I only have barb wire going around the property lines, but a Dogtra training collar/collars has worked wonders when we take anyone out back for a walk with us.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #60  
Treat others the way you would like to be treated.
A VERY good rule of thumb.

My philosophy in business as well.

That said, you know the old saying "the customer is always right"? I'll let you in a little secret... it's not true and sometimes if you're lucky, you don't have to fire the customer and they just go away 🤣

Sad to say, you have neighbors like some of these customers.

I've told the story of the one tree stand I took down on my property. None of my neighbors knew who it belonged to as I asked. I was out mowing a back field the other month and I noticed something that caught my attention on the other side of the fence that wasn't too far away from the tree stand I had found. I had to stop and look, but it was a pretty well concealed hunting blind. It wasn't on my side of the fence, so I of course let it be because it wasn't my property or on my proerty. If I were to guess, a neighbors older kid. I caught this person one time shooting a rifle from their car driving home one day years ago. Talked to another neighbor, and said they could see this person doing it as they were related.

Last edited: