Neighbor's cattle in yard

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #101  
I do not miss the SEE trucks. Miserable to convoy down the road in, the seat had a foreword tilt so you have to use your legs the entire time, especially with body armor.
I found it odd that on such a basic machine you can actually adjust the angle of the bottom seat cushion.

And I sure didn't get mine to drive down the road with.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #102  
In a regular vehicle with good roads, Laramie the Guernsey was and hour and a half. In Humvees only the trip was closer to two hours. In a See it was another half hour. Kuwait city to what is now Ali airbase was a good ten hours. They are like a Swiss Army knife, can do a lot of things, but none of them great.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #103  
If driving a ways on a regular road, I'd take the HMMH over the M936 in a heartbeat.

And not just to save on fuel. The HMMH is like sportscar compared to the SEE.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #104  
I've been out here 42 years now. Neighbors on both sides have LARGE herds of cattle. A cow can make it thru the TOUGHEST barbed wire fence - if the incentive is there.

It will always happen in the mid to late spring. One of this years calves will push thru and not listen to its mothers bellering. If all the mooing and bellering does not persuade the calf - mom will push thru and get the calf home.

All cows will lean thru the fence and eat the green grass on the opposite side. Just common nature.

And then there are buffaloes. Fences don't seem to faze them a bit. Only way to keep them at home - make sure what they have to eat is better than what is on the other side of the fence. This is not a joke. Google - Alaska/buffalo herd/Tok, Alaska.

We have a local rancher - Belsby - who runs a herd of buffs. He has sufficient land to be able to rotate the herd so they always have fresh green grass. Sold to local restaurants for Buff burgers.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #105  
Guy I knew had 30 head of Buffalo. Pen was made of telephone poles... they still pushed out. And when they did there was no herding them back, he said wait until they want water and they will come back.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #107  
They're Unimog FLU 419s.

From left to right, a SEE (loader/backhoe) but with the dozer blade from the HME (dozer/trencher) installed.

Next is also a SEE, but on that one I installed a 12-inch backhoe bucket. They're Case 580 backhoes, by the way.

Last is an HMMH (forklift/crane). Very useful.
That would be a nice thread... ;)

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #108  
I've been out here 42 years now. Neighbors on both sides have LARGE herds of cattle. A cow can make it thru the TOUGHEST barbed wire fence - if the incentive is there.

All cows will lean thru the fence and eat the green grass on the opposite side. Just common nature.
When I was a kid the old man used to keep a couple milkers and he'd go to market every week in the winter to buy cattle for butchering.
In the spring he'd get a couple about 6 month old calves to raise until the fall for us. Baby beef he called it.
Part of the fence in their pasture was an old apple tree. They just loved the windfalls. Once they got all the fruit on their side they'd be reaching as far as possible for something on the outside.
One he got, a small bull, wasn't deterred by the fence. He'd just put his head down and go under the barb wire fence, graze until he was full, and push his way back. You knew where he pushed out by the fur in the barbs.
If he knew what was coming his way he would have kept going.