Neighbor's cattle in yard

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #91  
How I got a dent in the new toy hauler.
DSCN3151.JPG

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #93  
It is. And I get reminded every time I see the front of the trailer.

Which is one reason I parked it out of sight later.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #94  
My BIL ran his family’s cow/calf operation for 50 years. Around 300 mama cows.

He once got the bright idea to rig a 12 volt cattle prod/shocker wire across the front of his Datsun (the 70’s 😂) pickup to help move or goose the stragglers along. He recalls the third Zap-ee took out his truck’s grill and radiator with a well placed kick. 🐄
In his defense he was quite young back then. 😁

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #96  
Gotta ask, what are the three trucks under the shed? 🤔
They're Unimog FLU 419s.

From left to right, a SEE (loader/backhoe) but with the dozer blade from the HME (dozer/trencher) installed.

Next is also a SEE, but on that one I installed a 12-inch backhoe bucket. They're Case 580 backhoes, by the way.

Last is an HMMH (forklift/crane). Very useful.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #97  
It's not often I see a fleet of German specialized trucks in USA...

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #98  
Oh, at the time (about two years ago) I had five of them, including a museum quality spare HMMH. Not exactly a fleet.

Anyway, while they sure have their quirks, to be able to pick them up with very low hours (often under 100) and most also refurbished, for $5K to $15K made it easy to overlook a few disadvantages.

As you can see on the sticker, as tax payers we paid quite a bit more for them in the late 80s.
DSCN5239[1].JPG

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #99  
Under Oregon legal code, Psittacines, also known as parrots, are not considered to be domesticated animals.
Neither are cats. But chickens are. They have different definitions legally as what a domesticated animal is, which is a state by state determination. Dogs are always considered domesticated; as are cows, and sheep, and pigs, and goats. You have a legal standing if these cause damage or harm. An owner is responsible for damages unless it is an excluded class. There was an Emu fad 20 years ago in Oregon. Emus can be pretty nasty birds. LOL.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #100  
I do not miss the SEE trucks. Miserable to convoy down the road in, the seat had a foreword tilt so you have to use your legs the entire time, especially with body armor. The backhoes worked fine as a PTO pump off the transmission ran those hydraulics, but the skid steer size bucket ran off the power steering pump, driven by belts and was very weak. However, the hydraulic tools were handy, such as the 60lb jackhammer and the chainsaw, but the hoses got very heavy. That all being said, Wyoming is a fence out state. If you don't want them on your place, you have to keep them out. However, good neighbors will foot half the bill as long as the replacement is justified, other than that you both maintain it.
I grew up with around 400 pairs. They would get out if they were running low on feed, or if a hole opens up while they are scratching themselves on the fence. These days, when there is a neighbor animal on my place, I open the gate and haze it back. A few months back, I had a neighbor knock on my door around one in the morning letting me know my cattle were on the road. I don't own any, but I got in my pickup anyway and pushed them through the first open gate off the highway, and while wiring the gate shut, the Sherriff and brand inspector showed up. That is how it is done around here, you can always figure out where they belong in the morning.