Neighbor's cattle in yard

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #81  
A local farmer had a very similar problem with his beef getting out...same cause too. He lives on a state highway so there was a danger of cars hitting the critters at 60 mph causing injury or death. The farmer failed to keep the cattle in enough times that the sheriff dept informed him of the legal consequences if someone was killed/injured. With enough warnings on record, it was obvious he was negligent and a verdict would be severe. He did fix the fences.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #82  
Someone hit a cow on the main hwy at 2:30 Wed morn. Right in front of my MIL’s house.
Neighbor has the only herd in that area and he says it wasnt his.
Sheriff was out there today looking around.
Curious to see what happens.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #83  
About 25 years ago, we were having a dry summer. My wife and i came home to find two buffalo in the yard. Somewhere, i have photos of them drinking out of a birdbath. While we did not know the owner, we knew of him so we drove over to his place. His daughter came out to let us know that he was on good way home from work. I told her where we lived and that was where his two bulls were. He came by and with a bucket of grain, managed to coax them back over the hill to their home. Awhile later he came back to thank me. We got to talking and he said that his bulls had no grass left so they broke down the gate so I showed him how i run power over my gates with a strap. In total he had maybe 25 buffalo and his place was on a busy road. He said that because in that state that buffalo were considered exotic so he did not have liability on them as it was exspensive. Anyway, no harm down on my property as the bulls had walked all the way around our fenced area. My two stallions however were quite upset. For the longest time they kept looking up the hill for those two buffalo.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #84  
Rancher has a long standing contract with park district for grazing to reduce fuel load.

Not everyone is pro grazing and activists have cut fences allowing the cattle to wander outside the park…

Several times the farms boundary fence has been cut with 20-30 head ending up on my brothers land… no big deal and the cattle rancher was most grateful for the understanding and assist.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #85  
It's been my experience that livestock intrusions aren't always a bad thing.

The neighboring farm had horses with an electric fence separating its property from mine. One of the horses, a mare named Dallas, learned to jump the fence to get at the greener pasture on my side. I was trying to convert the pasture into lawn at the time and Dallas didn't help. I complained to the neighbor and together we tried adding a second string of wire to the fence. Dallas was a real jumper though, and easily cleared it. I wasn't having much success converting the pasture anyway, so I just learned to live with the problem.

Over time, Dallas and I got to be buddies. She would immediately come over to me whenever I was out in the field, and I always had a lump of sugar or a carrot in my pocket. Yeah, I know, I was just encouraging her, but I actually began to enjoy her company. She would follow me everywhere as I worked, and even let me pet & groom her. This surprised the neighbor since he could never get near her.

I learned a lot about horses from my time with Dallas and was amazed at how intelligent they are. The neighbor eventually sold the horses and I actually felt like I lost a close friend.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #86  
Cows will get out no matter how good the fences are. I get them occasionally in my back yard from the neighbor, I just text them their cows are out, or I try to chase them in if I can by my self.
Not sure I agree with that statement completely.

They will get out if there is a lack of forage (food) and water, but with plenty of food and water they typically won't.

If in heat that's another game.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #87  
Not sure I agree with that statement completely.

They will get out if there is a lack of forage (food) and water, but with plenty of food and water they typically won't.

If in heat that's another game.
I'll add if you tow the feed wagon around and there is weak spot a couple of mine will find you. :ROFLMAO:

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #88  
I think it is NC law that covers this situation though it has been awhile since I read up on the topic. A coworker decades ago had a "neighbor" who would not fence in his sheep. The sheep would eat my coworkers landscaping. The sheep owner was a lawyer who let everyone know he was a lawyer. My two cents he did this to try to impress and bully people.

The coworker called animal control after the lawyer would not fence in the sheep. Animal control took the sheep and send a rather expensive bill to the owner of the live stock. The bill included picking up the sheep and the cost of their daily upkeep. This made the lawyer see the light and put up fence. Not a good job on the fence but it worked.

There is a nearby farm that would rent out land for cattle. I only saw the cattle get out once. I stopped to tell the land owner that a bovine was out, and while I was doing that, someone else stopped and managed to get the cattle back across the fence. The cattle had moved only a few feet from the fence where the grass was taller and greener. 😁 It was next to a busy road so the cattle getting out could have been bad.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #89  
I'm in shock. Pam called me this morning to say Brad's cows were in her yard again. For Northeastern MN, we have had a non winter. Right now we should have nearly 2 feet of snow remaining but we have scattered white patches in shady areas. She was chasing cows until 3 am. I took a chance as Chairman of the Town Board of Directors to ask the County Sheriff for help. Pam called a few minutes ago to say a deputy sheriff visited her to say he had just visited Brad and read him the riot act for having so many complaints. He gave him a warning for now, but if it continues they will get more severe. To get to Pam's, the cattle need to cross a county road. Pam lives at the bottom of the only hill we have in this flat township of Northern MN - many accident's there. Black Angus in the road coming around the bend at dark - I think that weighed in on the response too. Not that I think such a response should happen for isolated incidents - I'm also a farmer (but thankfully no longer have cattle - the cattlemen are my customers). We will now see if I survive this.
The township maybe should add cattle crossing signs to warn drivers :unsure:

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #90  
I'll add if you tow the feed wagon around and there is weak spot a couple of mine will find you. :ROFLMAO:
Mine just stay home on a voluntary basis because they have plenty of food and water.