Need replacement for Stihl ms241

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #1  

frogpond

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
My 241 has seized up and apparently died, so I am thinking about what to get next. I also have a new 261cm with 20" bar (I sold off my 291 after buying it), and an older 211 with a 16" bar. The 211 is a little wimpy, and I dislike the toolless chain tightener. (It is wearing out, and is hard to use when it's dirty or I'm wearing gloves.) The 261 is a great saw, lighter and more powerful than the 291, and pretty much as big as I need.
I still want a better smaller saw in the 40cc range for limbing and pruning. The 241 has a compression release, which I like. The 250, which I'm thinking about, doesn't, and I see both good and bad reviews of it.
Any suggestions? I am used to Stihls, and I'd like to stay with them. We have 11 acres of mostly rainforest, some of it jungle, in western Washington.

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #2  
Have you looked into an electric?
That size there might be a battery operated that would fit your usage.

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #3  
Have you torn it down? Might be able to hone the cylinder and fit a new piston/rings?

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #4  
I don’t think you hone them. They have a Nikosol(spelling?) lining, kind of a hardened chrome like substance. You can get a replacement jug and piston for them off of Amazon. I rebuilt my MS250 for $100. I could have got by for half that but bought the “good junk” off Amazon.

I have a MS250 and a MS261. They are to much alike to recommend a 250 for you. Roughly the same weight but the 250 has less power. Why do you want two saws? I’d probably recommend a smaller lighter trimming saw for a second saw. The only reason I have the 250 and the 261 is I bought the 261 when I had a scored piston on the 250, most likely from running straight gas.

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #5  
I have a 241, a 362 and a 500i for Stihl gas saws.

I do have 3 electric saws:

1. Stihl MS211 - super light, but a very thin kerf on a 12" bar. I have learned that thin kerfs on electric saws suck. They get bound up pretty easily.

2. Ryobi 40v 18" bar - awesome power, but its as heavy or heavier than a gas version.

3. Milwaukee 16" bar - decent power, but heavier than a gas saw.

Also, these saws are for light cutting. You would not go out felling and bucking multiple trees with these. They just wont last. Batteries run down pretty fast.

For me I actually use the 362 with a 25" ultralight bar for lots of limbing. That might sound strange, but it keeps me from bending over. My arms are stronger than my back!

241 is for felling smaller trees, and I will limb with it. But if I have to cut the tree down with the 362 I always use it for limbing as well.

Personally I would stick with a gas saw if you are cutting for more than an hour or so.

I have an Echo 355T top handle and its a little beast. You might look at them as well.

CS-400 | ECHO-USA.com 10.1 lbs. Stihl MS241 is 9.9lbs, so they are really the same.

Last edited:
   / Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #6  
Yea you can't hone the plated cylinder linings. But they are hard and durable and sometimes you can clean the aluminum off them and they're fine. People use muriatic acid or some form of abrasive to do this, both very carefully.

The 241 is a sweet saw. I like mine a lot. If it were me I would not give up just because it's seized. I'd tear it down and find out how bad the damage is. If you're lucky you'll only need a new piston and rings. AFAIK there are not any cheap clone parts for the current model CM saws. The clone people tend to stick to obsolete models. If the cylinder is damaged then you'd need to buy one from Stihl.

I also have an 025 which is basically an MS250 with screw caps. It's much harder to start than the 241 with compression release. 025/ 250s are known for that.

You already have a 261 which is the saw Stihl sells now in that segment. If you can't fix the 241 or are not interested then you should sell it to someone who will fix it. Echo makes some nice small gas saws that are very light. My small Echo is really easy to start. Or maybe it's time for a good battery saw.

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241
Thanks for all the ideas!
I would love to revive the 241. I wonder why they stopped making it. However, I just don't have the skills to do it myself, and I am pretty sure that it would not be cost effective to pay to have it done.
I am often out there cutting and slashing for multiple hours, so I'm not sure a battery saw is the answer. Besides, they seem to be heavier than an equivalent gas saw. What about a Stihl top handle?
Maybe I should find an Echo dealer and see what they have. I don't want to go yo a big box store.

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #8  
I'm using an MSA220 battery operated unit these days with a 16" bar. I usually bring it's gas powered brother with a 20" bar out with me at the same time in case the other gets pinched in but I don't want to use it anymore. Too heavy and too much noise, stink and vibration in comparison. I have no problem taking down 24"+ diameter trees. Battery run time is about 30-60 minutes depending on outside temps and type of wood getting cut. Recharge is about 45 minutes.

The battery unit is excellent for delimbing as it's half the weight, quiet and low vibration. An no frickin pull start.

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #9  
And remember - most battery operated saws do just as well with a "spare" battery, and usually can take different capacity batteries.
So for my little DeWalt 20V max I can clip on a little 2AH battery for some light trimming or a big 10AH battery the few times I'm going to do serious cutting.

/ Need replacement for Stihl ms241 #10  
My 241 has seized up and apparently died, so I am thinking about what to get next. I also have a new 261cm with 20" bar (I sold off my 291 after buying it), and an older 211 with a 16" bar. The 211 is a little wimpy, and I dislike the toolless chain tightener. (It is wearing out, and is hard to use when it's dirty or I'm wearing gloves.) The 261 is a great saw, lighter and more powerful than the 291, and pretty much as big as I need.
I still want a better smaller saw in the 40cc range for limbing and pruning. The 241 has a compression release, which I like. The 250, which I'm thinking about, doesn't, and I see both good and bad reviews of it.
Any suggestions? I am used to Stihls, and I'd like to stay with them. We have 11 acres of mostly rainforest, some of it jungle, in western Washington.
My son and I find the 80 volt Cobalt 18 inch bar really does most what we need to do. After a storm it's easy to throw in the trunk or cab of the truck on the first trip out because we usually have some small stuff that can get in the road even larger sometime.