need advice on building lean to

/ need advice on building lean to #1  

mooch

I am going to build a lean to to cover my wood stove and wood. It is probably overkill but I dont want to do it again. it will be 14' x 24'. 4x6 posts, 2x8 ledger boards, and 2x6 joists. I then am going to put metal sheet roofing on. my question is what spacing do I need for furring strips on the joists? are 1x3 good for the furring strips? i was going to put the joists 2ft on center since they are only supporting snow, the roof pitch will be about 4/12. any other advice?

/ need advice on building lean to #2  
I am going to build a lean to to cover my wood stove and wood. It is probably overkill but I dont want to do it again. it will be 14' x 24'. 4x6 posts, 2x8 ledger boards, and 2x6 joists. I then am going to put metal sheet roofing on. my question is what spacing do I need for furring strips on the joists? are 1x3 good for the furring strips? i was going to put the joists 2ft on center since they are only supporting snow, the roof pitch will be about 4/12. any other advice?

How much snow?

I don't know code, but it sounds like you need more than 6 inch joists 2 feet on center. And if it were me I would not use 1x for the purlins.

Others will know the correct specs but I always try and go a little above the minimum requirement.

JB

/ need advice on building lean to #4  
If u put your rafters on 16" centers u can use 1x4 lathes. 24" i would use 2x4 lathes. We always put our lathes from top of one to bottom of another 20". Hope this helps

/ need advice on building lean to #5  

For 30psf live load and 10psf dead load, a 2x6 on 2' centers is rated for between 7.5' and 11.5' span depending on how it's graded. You need them on 12" centers to support a span of approximately 14'. Putting them on 12" centers would allow you to comfortably use the 1x3 purlins you propose. Using a deeper rafter would allow wider spacing but probably require heavier purlins. Not sure where you live, but I have two good friends who've had cabins collapse from snow load, so I'd' design the !bleep! out of those rafters and tie them properly to the tops of the plates, and then sleep sound if you ever get that 7' snow drift along the top of your lean to.