My Thor arrived today...

/ My Thor arrived today... #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Been waiting 2 months for it. Summit Racing was out of stock. Summit has the best price too. The Thor is the hardest hitting 1/2" drive impact wrench ever made. At 90 psi, it delivers 950 pounds feet of left hand torque and 800 of right hand torque. At 135 psi it delivers just over 1000 foot pounds in reverse and 900 in right hand torque. Makes my IR Thundergun look like a toy and it's lighter than the IR is as well.

The torque settings are adjustable so you could use a normal (non impact socket) with it but at full on power, no standard socket could survive.

Been wanting one since the Torque Test Channel dyno tested one.

I'll be seeing if my HF impact rated sockets can stand the beans shortly. They do fine with the IR. Snap-On split and so did SK Wayne. Didn't even bother with the Chinese Crapsman stuff, I knew it was death for them.

/ My Thor arrived today... #2  
Dewalt 20V battery impact.
No power cord.
700 ft-lbs of max torque and 1200 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque.
Even has a led light.
With Dewalt the big brother to this is probably coming.

/ My Thor arrived today...
It's for the shop not out somewhere. I'm not all that fond of DeWalt tools. I'd purchase a Milwaukee over Dewalt any day. Lets put it another way. I don't believe you could purchase a DeWalt or Milwaukee for 169 bucks, which is what I paid for the Thor.

/ My Thor arrived today... #4  
My Milwaukee cordless has better specs then that;
18 Volt Fuel,
Highly compact cordless high-torque 1/2in. impact wrench is only 8.39in. long
  • 4-mode drive control with bolt removal mode, allowing for ultimate control
  • Powerstate™ brushless motor delivers up to 1000 ft.-lbs. of fastening torque and 1400 ft.-lbs. of nut-busting torque
No it was more then $169 but since I've had it I can only think of a couple of times I have picked up my pneumatic 1/2".
And guess what rides in the truck a lot.

Never need one away from the shop why I got what I got. Like I said, if I needed one, would be a Milwaukee, not a DeWalt. I don't.

/ My Thor arrived today... #6  
The Thor is rated at 1600 lb-ft in breakaway torque, and 940 lb-ft of working torque. I'm restoring an old Dearborn disk plow, and most of the bolts are eaten up with rust, and this thing hasn't struggle with a one of them. Even the 7/8-9 square bolts are no issue for it.

It's a ballzy SOB, that's for sure. I got mine for $145 off Ebay.
20230410_193216.jpg
20230416_083812_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
The Thor is rated at 1600 lb-ft in breakaway torque, and 940 lb-ft of working torque. I'm restoring an old Dearborn disk plow, and most of the bolts are eaten up with rust, and this thing hasn't struggle with a one of them. Even the 7/8-9 square bolts are no issue for it.

It's a ballzy SOB, that's for sure. I got mine for $145 off Ebay.
View attachment 795704View attachment 795705
I certainly like mine. I see you went with high flow couplers which are necessary as well as large diameter air hose as the Thor is an air hog...

I give mine a shot of Parker air tool oil (in the inlet) before each use and no wimpy sockets either. Must be impact rated black oxide heavy wall sockets or the Thor will split them

Had good results with the HF black oxide impact rated sockets so far. It's a wicked impact wrench, no doubt. I do a lot of plow steel's with corroded bolts and nuts and if the Thor don't loosen them, it breaks them off which is good anyway as I replace them with new A325 dome head plow bolts anyway.

It does take some serious CFM however to realize the full torque potential. If you have a wimpy compressor, don't buy one. I run mine at 135 psi but I have over 35 CFM available. I can run at 175 psi but I don't see much difference between 135 and 175 actually.

Bought mine direct from Astro but that was 2 years ago when they first came out. It's still 'top of the heap' on TTC's ranking chart and I heard Astro is coming out with a revised Thor with even more balls.

I like it because it's light weight and easy to deal with. I have an IR 3/4 drive air impact but it's cumbersome to use whereas the Thor isn't.

/ My Thor arrived today... #9  
Yeah those are Milton P style fittings. I bought these in the pack to get rid of the 1/4 adaptor that the impact comes with. These new fitting have a 3/8 NPT which make the 1/4 NPT adaptor unnecessary. I need more compressor as I have the old HF 21 gallon/2.5 HP compressor which maxes out at 125 PSI and I think is rated for 4.x CFM. I am running 3/8 hose and 3/8 Milton P style fitting though, and it seems to have plenty of torque even with not as much CFM as it's rated for. And yes I bought the HF impact sockets for it. I've used the HF impact sockets at my job for probably 15 years. It's one of those HF tools that do offer good bang for the buck without disappointing.

Plus, if you do break one (highly unlikely), HF will replace it (lifetime guarantee). Much easier than dealing with a tool truck, IMO.

You need a bigger compressor and a bigger receiver. I use a Sullaire screw compressor with a Quincy 7.5 horse back up with a 150 gallon receiver. Good compressors aren't cheap today. If I run the plasma table, I need them both actually. The Sullaire as well as the Quincy will spin the electric meter at warp factor one...lol