Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait...

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait... #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Ordered one from Summit Racing almost 2 months ago. Supposed to be here in January 1oth. Hope it's worth the wait. Torque Test Channel rates the Thor the hardest hitting 1/2" drive air impact on the market today with almost 925 foot pounds of torque in left hand rotation and 700 in right hand@ 135 psi. MY IR Thundergun makes about 625 left hand and 500 right hand torque.

I'll be putting my HF 1/2" drive impact sockets to the test with the Thor. I've split every brand with The IR so far but not the HF impact sockets. Will see if they can stand up to the Thor.

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait... #2  
   / Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait...
I got tuned in to the Thor from the Torque Test Channel. I was amazed that any 1/2" drive wrench could develop that much break away torque. I change quite a few plow steels and the dome head plow bolts get really rusted in and I usually have to revert to my 3/4" drive impact to break them loose and it's a heavy bugger to deal with. The Thor makes almost as much left hand torque as my 3/4" drive IR at 1/3 the tool weight.

I will say I've split every impact socket (Snap-On, Williams, SK Wayne and Craftsman) but never the HF black oxide impacts in 1/2" drive.

On the 3/4" drive, I use Williams 3/4" drive impact sockets and or the gas axe if necessary.

Will see how the HF 1/2" drive impacts hold up to the Thor when I get it. Like I said, ordered it over 2 months ago. Talked to Summit today and it's expected to ship to me on 1-10.

I've got over 30 CFM at 135 psi to deal with. Should be plenty enough beans to crank the Thor up to it's rated torque output.

They just did a test on the 1/2" drive Thundergun with a modified rotor, phenolic vanes (instead of plastic) and modified air inlets and exhaust and even with those mods, it cannot make what the Thor makes stock. Read the trigger is touchy but I usually run them wide open anyway.

Thought about getting a Milwaukee 1/2" drive ultra cordless but I cannot justify the cost compared to an air impact.

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait... #4  
aren't the HF earth quakes rated up near 1k? I own one, and make the HF Impacts hot, when I am done with them, never shattered them.

considered adding these. the couplers are huge, made a difference on my tools.

have them on all my lines now.

I use the same ones but I get them up town at the NAPA store or from Motion Industries when I'm in Toledo, Ohio... Large diameter roll up air line too. My whole shop is hard lined in 1 1/2" diameter black pipe with 3/4" drops and 2 compressors. I have a Sullaire screw compressor and a Quincy QP 10 horse backup. Got the Quincy dirt cheap from a going out of business T&D shop. Offered the owner 50o for it and got it. It's 100 gallon receiver is always in line and used for air storage. The compressor isn't energized. Got it home and pulled the head and the reed valves had no carbon on them. he must not have used it very much. A new QP is north of 2500 bucks today. Bought my Sullaire 20 years ago and it still runs like a top and has a built in dryer too. About the only time both run is when I'm doing a lot of CNC plasma table cutting.

aren't the HF earth quakes rated up near 1k
Not according to Torque Test Channel. Not even close. I like what they say about rated torque on the boxes and in reality aren't even close. The dyno all the wrenches. Have a custom built dyno to test them on. Good channel to watch.

Bought an Icon 1/2" drive clicker torque wrench about a year ago for 105 bucks, got it home and laid it next to my Snap-On 1/2" drive clicker and I was hard pressed to tell the difference. the Icon is the same as the Snap-On, but the Snap-On cost me 500 bucks off the tool truck. I found that interesting. Want to buy a Snap-On 1/2" drive clicker?..... :p

I'll do a 'road test' on here when I get the Thor. I'm kind of anxious as I've waited a long time for it. Hope it's worth the wait. Hope my HF impact sockets are up to it too.

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait... #8  
I'll do a 'road test' on here when I get the Thor. I'm kind of anxious as I've waited a long time for it. Hope it's worth the wait. Hope my HF impact sockets are up to it too.

Its a decent price, If I ever need more, I will buy one, but 30s on most bolts, and they snap. they recommend large lines for that tool, does seem like a monster. any idea what they rated the HF at?

/ Hope the Astro Pneumatics Thor 1/2" impact is worth the wait... #9  
Its a decent price, If I ever need more, I will buy one, but 30s on most bolts, and they snap. they recommend large lines for that tool, does seem like a monster. any idea what they rated the HF at?
I'd have to look on the Torque Test YT channel. They do have them rated and tested. As with most air impact tools, CFM delivery is everything versus high pressure. I have both my compressors set for 135 psi maximum or on at 130 and off at 135.

Reason I do that is CFM delivery is more than adequate and the higher the attained pressure is, the more compression heat and condensation is produced, plus the valves (at least in a reciprocating compressor builds carbon faster on the reed (petal) valves in the head. Not an issue with a screw compressor but is with a conventional compressor. Having said that condensation always is.

I rarely snap A325 dome head plow bolts used to secure wear steel to plow blades. Pretty stout bolts. Most have a 1/2" shank too and some are 3/4" and all are corroded.

My issue with larger impact drivers is the tool weight itself. At my age, it gets tiresome real quick holding on to an impact driver that weighs over 15 pounds which is about what my 3/4" drive IR comes in at. OK for removing and mounting 10 hole Budd style truck wheels but for other stuff, not so good.